Author Topic: King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson (Duke and Duchess of Windsor)  (Read 457741 times)

Offline damaskrose

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson (Duke and Duchess of Windsor)
« Reply #405 on: February 10, 2007, 09:52:56 AM »
Certainly,You have solid opinion.I have stated mine.He WAS a very popular king(which begs the question,If he was so dreadful why did so many love him and find him perfectly suited to the position?) ,and did an excellent job as Govenor of the Bahamas.There were machinations by the monarchy that prevented him from being what he wanted to be.Does that surprise anyone?Stanley Baldwin was instrumental in the abdication ,as well as his own mother and father.I respect your opinions and you are most certainly entitled to yours.However I have deeply researched this historical event,and have based my opinion on facts,not feelings.please don't let me get the impression that I am not entitled to it,Thank you :) DM

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 10, 2007, 10:33:38 AM »
DA Rose,

I in no way differ from your opinion that David had what it takes to be a great constitutional King and was an excellent Prince of Wales.  Falling in love with Wallis in the 1930s complicated everything.  If he were the POW today and fell in love with Wallis there would be no problems with the marriage as Chuck & Cammie have proved.

TampaBay

"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 10, 2007, 12:19:02 PM »
I don't think the former King Edward VIII did much to enhance any affection previously felt for him within the British populace when it was discovered he, along with his wife, met Adolf Hitler.   It was said that the Duke of Windsor discussed with Hitler the possibility of his being returned to the British throne when the Nazis occupied Britain.   There was a TV documentary transmitted in the UK not so long ago which recalled this episode.

In view of the suffering inflicted on many families in Great Britain as a result of Hitler's facist, colonialist policies, it is not difficult to see why negative emotions towards the Duke and Duchess of Windsor remain to this day.

tsaria

Offline damaskrose

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 11, 2007, 04:29:12 AM »
It was a bad decision ,they admitted as much.Wallis herself was very uncomfortable during the visit,even frightened on occasion.The Windsors regretted making this trip.According to Dudley Forwood (the Duke's equerry at this time)reasons for it were two -fold.One,Edward felt that he had over the years, established close ties in Germany,as well as May's tutelage(he considered German his mother's tongue)Speaking the language fluently .He honestly thought he might have influence in regard to staving off a conflict.Two,,this was probably the closest thing Wallis would ever get to a state visit.In Edward of Sussex's documentary,Edward on Edward,Edward of Sussex states himself that there was not then ,nor now ,any evidence whatso ever that Edward the VIII was in any way a Nazi sympathizer.It was a press inaccurancy that indeed did the couple great harm.Edward VIII was greatly distressed by the out come of this visit as his mission not only failed,but the event would shadow them forever.-DM

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 11, 2007, 07:30:03 AM »
It was indeed a gross error of judgement, Damaskrose.   Unfortunatley errors of this scale, committed by a person in a position such as that held by the Duke of Windsor, cannot be forgiven.

Along with great privilege goes great responsibility.

I can see you have studied the subject in depth.   It would be interesting to know your position on that ongoing mystery - the Duchess's Jewels are Missing?

tsaria

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 11, 2007, 07:38:58 AM »
Who is Edward of Sussex ?
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 11, 2007, 07:58:23 AM »
Who is Edward of Sussex ?

Edward of Wessex?
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline damaskrose

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 11, 2007, 08:18:16 AM »
Yes,Wessex! ;DWrong sex!!!Thank you Robert and Tampa.The mystery of the Robbery!Well,There is a a fascinating story,Tsaria.I have recently heard again that the uncut emeralds were in her (Wallis)traveling jewelry case.It was described a a small trunk really.Why was that trunk left out,when it was offered to the Windsors,the use of the strong room located at the estate?Another severe error in judgement?It is compelling. ???-DM

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 11, 2007, 12:13:44 PM »
Why would Wallis have been carrying uncut emeralds around with her though? And why where they still uncut? Given Wallis' mania for jewels I thought she would have had them set.

There was certainly something fishy about the whole business! :) Could it have been an insurance scam? I recall reading that some items listed as stolen turned up in the auction!
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 11, 2007, 12:28:26 PM »
Good question, Eddieboy.  Especially as their favourite jewelers was Cartier in Paris. Seems any uncut & unset stones would go to them.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 11, 2007, 12:56:54 PM »
Since we are now approaching 30 pages on the 'Duke and Duchess of Windsor', perhaps the time has come to open a separate thread devoted to the missing jewels.   This can be widened to include the 'Jewels of the Duchess of Windsor'.

tsaria

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 11, 2007, 07:46:43 PM »
I agree...That seems prudent.  ;)

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 02, 2007, 07:06:53 AM »
I tried to find a old thread about Wallis to bump up and could not.  So I decided to start a new thread for Martyn and Herr Kasier to post and share their discussion on Wallis.

Please post any pictures you care to share as I and many others never tire of discussions on the style of the Duchess of Windsor.

Martyn and Herr Kasier, I thank you in advance for your support and efforts on this thread!

TampaBay

Offline Duke of New Jersey

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 02, 2007, 09:34:15 AM »
So I decided to start a new thread for Martyn and Herr Kasier to post and share their discussion on Wallis.

Which thread have theese been happening on?  :D

-Duke of NJ

Offline Cunarder

• Always in Steerage, But in a Tux
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 02, 2007, 12:25:51 PM »
I enjoy reading all the wonderful threads on this site, but the subject of Wallis or David is like the tinkling of a dinner bell arousing a 10-year old tabbie to a can of Photobucket tuna.    Sorry if some of these are repeats, but I can't remember what has been posted.   Wallis, the "Almost-Was" Royal.   

On the Nahlin cruise.

Imagine Queen Mary photographed napping at Balmoral or Sandringham in this
manner.  She wouldn't have put herself in the position, but it's a bit fun, (and
with a shudder!) just to imagine it.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 12:33:51 PM by Cunarder »