Author Topic: King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson (Duke and Duchess of Windsor)  (Read 457740 times)

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson (Duke and Duchess of Windsor)
« Reply #435 on: June 03, 2007, 05:07:24 AM »
Martyn has no permission to leave for a week.   How could he spring it on us like this.   First he tantalises, and just when we are captured... away he goes.   CRUEL.
I am not surprised that, in the space of less than 24 hours, this thread is onto its second page.   I have a hunch there will be many, many more.

I bag the canary diamonds - divine is the word that springs to mind.

I have a beautiful replica of the crosses bracelet, generously gifted to me by a former member.   I adore it.

Now to the subject of the thread.   I think the Duchess of Windsor was THE best dressed woman of her generation.   Her most likely immediiate competitor, the late Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent - just did not have the same panache.   There is something angularly beautiful about Wallis.   The quality of the composition and the lighting of the photographs is superb, in fact probavby unsurpassed.   Some of her jewels are a bit O.T.T., but they suit her.

Thank you for the pictures of her tiara, Martyn.   That is what I call a tasteful tiara.

tsaria

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 03, 2007, 05:55:16 AM »
The sapphire bracelet is to die for and I should know as I am salivating at the mouth and getting goose bumps just looking at the picture. ;D ;D ;D

IMO Wallis not wearing tiaras is predominantly due to tiaras not being to her taste but also partly due to being an American.  Loooking through my books, I can only find pictures of three famous American women wearing tiaras; Jackie Kennedy, when receiving or being received by Royalty, "La-La" Liz Taylor when in Europe and Barbra Hutton on many occasions.  I think Barbra Hutton owned an emerald tiara once belonging to Cathrine the Great.

I believe most American women who coule afford a grand tiara feel as I do (though I cannot afford one); why spend the money on a grand tiara when you can buy a nice big fat collet parure for the same money which can be worn to the grocery store, Walmart or a charity ball?

Back to Wallis' only tiara; I would have kept the tiara and worn it as a necklace.

TampaBay   
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 03, 2007, 06:27:39 AM »
Well, I won't be going until tomorrow......... :)

I agree with you Tsaria.  As we have said before Wallis knew what style was about and it wasn't simply to do with patronising the best couturiers and jewellers.  Money and taste do not always go hand in hand, as we know but in her case, she was blessed with both.

Not really what one could call a beautiful woman, she knew full well how to make the most of what she had and I think that we can safely call her a style icon for her generation.

Tampa, Barbara Hutton's emeralds may have once belonged to Catherine the Great, but their more direct provenance was from the superb emerald parure of GDss Vladimir and was made for her by Cartier in 1947.  Interestingly , Wallis's tiara was also made by Cartier, but in 1949, but the difference in style of the two pieces could not be more marked.  Wallis's contemporary jewel fits very much with her style and personality; Geoffrey Munn asserts that Wallis did not care too much for head ornaments anyway.  Hutton's tiara, although it has a contemporary feel to it, is very much more in the tradition of grand jewellery and is a fit setting for the stones form Miechen's fabulous parure.  Interestingly, Liz Taylor also owns pieces set with stones from this parure; I think that she has the necklace and a brooch..........

Tsaria, how lucky you are to have a replica of that bracelet; I am fortunate to have three latin crosses - one in diamonds, one in calibre cut rubies and the other in calibre cut sapphires, which I wear all together on a chain as David did. Might we be treated to a photo of you wearing ypour bracelet please?  :)
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 03, 2007, 07:05:46 AM »
And just for Tsaria, as I know she has expressed admiration for these pieces in the past, Wallis's superb pearls............

The necklace and pendant are from Cartier, Paris, and may be worn separately. The pendant dates from 1950 and is a whopping 190.60 grains.  The earrings are Van Cleef and Arpels, dated 1957, purchased 1958, and singularly lovely in that one pearl is black and the other white.

Perfect for daytime or night time, one would think?  ;)

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 03, 2007, 07:13:17 AM »
Tampa, you might appreciate this piece more..../  ;)

Wallis's sapphire necklace.  Cartier 1940.  Tow rows of sapphire beads supporting nine articulated flowerhead clusters, graduating in size from the centre, set with cabochon sapphires and circular-cut diamonds, and decorated with dart-shaped drops set with circular-cut diamonds.

Perfect for Walmart or a charity ball, n'est-ce pas?   ;)

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 03, 2007, 07:14:08 AM »
The above necklace currently hangs around the neck of Kelly Klein.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 03, 2007, 07:18:52 AM »
Wallis's sapphire necklace.  Cartier 1940.  Tow rows of sapphire beads supporting nine articulated flowerhead clusters, graduating in size from the centre, set with cabochon sapphires and circular-cut diamonds, and decorated with dart-shaped drops set with circular-cut diamonds.

Perfect for Walmart or a charity ball, n'est-ce pas?   ;)

And also perfect for the sidewalk cafe seating at the local pub!!!

This is exactly the type of necklace I like to wear but unfortunately the best I could afford would be a third rate knock-off from Macy's.  ;D ;D ;D

TampaBay

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 03, 2007, 07:29:33 AM »
And I am sure that it would look just as good if you were wearing it Tampa............. :)

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 03, 2007, 07:39:55 AM »
Ah, the pearls.   What is it about pearls?   They do more for a woman than any other gem.   Their luminosity seems to give an inner glow to the wearer.   I agree, infinitely adaptable - day or night, jeans or jodphurs, tweeds and cashmere, silks or satins, brogues or Blanihk - the just work.

At the risk of being slightly non-PC, pearls do much the same for a lady's complexion as sable, mink or fox.

As for the pic, Martyn... you don't really think I would spoil this wonderful threats?

tsaria

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 03, 2007, 11:32:38 AM »
Ah, the pearls.   What is it about pearls?   They do more for a woman than any other gem.   Their luminosity seems to give an inner glow to the wearer.   I agree, infinitely adaptable - day or night, jeans or jodphurs, tweeds and cashmere, silks or satins, brogues or Blanihk - the just work.

At the risk of being slightly non-PC, pearls do much the same for a lady's complexion as sable, mink or fox.

As for the pic, Martyn... you don't really think I would spoil this wonderful threats?

tsaria

I quite agree with you about pearls.  Perhaps that is why they have been perennially popular?  Infinitely classic, it is good to see that there is so much contemporary affordable modern jewellery using pearls.

Tsaria, I think that the pic would be an enhancement to this discussion and I am sure that the duchess would be pleased to know that there are still amongst us those who admire her style enough to want to wear jewellery as she did.......... :)

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 03, 2007, 12:18:16 PM »
...M A R T Y N...   I'm not saying another word.

tsaria

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 03, 2007, 12:20:03 PM »
The canary diamonds...............divine
The pearls..............................lustrous
The sapphires.........................scrumptious

tsaria

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 03, 2007, 12:22:59 PM »
...M A R T Y N...   I'm not saying another word.

tsaria

As you wish........... :( :( :(

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 03, 2007, 03:15:03 PM »
Wow! Has anyone ever seen a request so responded to with such vigor and speed? thanks Martyn! I vote for you for Prime Minister!

Wallis is one of my favorites and she is so due to her perfectly integrated use of charm, beauty, aggressiveness, intelligence, and taste.

When David died, the commentator covering his funeral stated "....the Duchess is showing the royals how to be royal." That may not be the exact set of words, but it is close and was the point.

Given today's 'standards' she should have been queen and she would have been a stunner. On the other hand, there is a grandeur about her that being queen may have tarnished and subdued. She would have looked horrible in the coronation crown and robes! That was so not her. And her jewels were purely Wallis....smart, current, designed, and with imagery. the family's inherited jewels were/are generally not those kind.

A friend of mine whose husband knew David and was at a party with David and Wallis told me she overheard someone ask Wallis 'would you have liked to be queen?' and Wallis' response was a soft and clever "In what sense?"

HerrKaiser

Offline Cunarder

• Always in Steerage, But in a Tux
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 03, 2007, 10:41:22 PM »
Thank you for the photos, Martyn..here's a few more.

David and Wallis "at court" at Fort Belvedere.

Almost unrecognizable in this heavily retouched photo for a magazine cover
about the time of the Abdication.

Now in exile, David and Wallis are condemned to a trivial existence among Cafe Society.

On a yachting trip with her friends Katherine and Herman Rogers.

In the perfect world she created for David, in the salon in the Bois de Boulougne,
it's rather odd that this portrait of Queen Mary, the woman who forever scorned
Wallis, has such a prominent position.  I wonder how many times while entertaining the
likes of Cole Porter, Elsa Maxwell, and Elizabeth Taylor, that Wallis' eyes glanced upward
towards this portrait, and what she must have thought.

After her first or second facelift...trying to erase the inevitable march of Time.

Egyptian gilt-metal necklace as shown above, along with gold bracelet & earclips,
Circa 1960's.