Author Topic: King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson (Duke and Duchess of Windsor)  (Read 457728 times)

Offline Cunarder

• Always in Steerage, But in a Tux
    • View Profile
Re: King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson (Duke and Duchess of Windsor)
« Reply #480 on: June 08, 2007, 11:02:31 AM »
 Does anyone have the technology and/or knowhow to paste a tiara on to a photograph of the Duchess of Windsor to let us see?
tsaria

Here's my version of Wallis, as you requested.    I doubt Wallis would have worn a tiara other
than in the most formal circumstances, such as imagined below.   As she matured, I would guess that a tiara
probably seemed a bit comical to her in light of history, and in bad taste.  She certainly didn't need one.

I felt a bit uncertain about posting this, as I know this site is often used for historical research.
I hope no one is offended by this altered image, and no disrespect was intended by posting it.

Cunarder

Offline Duke of New Jersey

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 08, 2007, 01:58:48 PM »
I felt a bit uncertain about posting this, as I know this site is often used for historical research.
I hope no one is offended by this altered image, and no disrespect was intended by posting it.

Yes, it is so well done! ;D

(Was that orginally the Queen?)

-Duke of NJ

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #482 on: June 08, 2007, 05:36:46 PM »
Yes, that's one of the Queen's photos. Good PS job, Cunarder.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 08, 2007, 06:39:08 PM »
Thank you Cunarder.   In the terms and sentiments in which it was posted, nobody could take exception to your art work.

It makes a very interesting composition - and it seems, Wallis would have looked entirely appropriate in a tiara.

tsaria

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 09, 2007, 10:55:50 AM »
That is pretty impressive Cunarder!

I think that was a really worthwhile exercise as it clearly demonstrates Wallis's very clear understanding of how to make her clothes and jewels work for her.  In that photo that Cunarder has so very kindly provided we can see quite clearly just how mediocre she looks, when deprived of the elements of style so necessary to her image.

I think that emeraldeyes's suggestions as to why Wallis eschewed the tiara per se are probably on the money.  I suspect that Wallis knew how to conduct herself as a duchess without recourse to such an obvious visual prop........
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 09, 2007, 11:05:09 AM »

I love this photo of Wallis.  She looks like she is having such a good time and clutching on to all that she holds dear......her jewels!

She is wearing her cross-over diamond necklace which did not appear in the sale of her jewels.  Did this piece not survive?  Or did she give it away?

She is also wearing the Cartier onyx and diamond panther bangle and  clip, the onyx and diamond tiger bracelet as well as the McLean diamond.........

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 09, 2007, 11:15:18 AM »

And here it is - the McLean diamond ring........doesn't it make your moputh water?

Originally belonging to Evelyn Walsh McLean, a celebrated collector of fine jewellery, who had also once owned the Hope Diamond and a 94.80 carat pear shaped diamond called the 'Star of the East', which she wore supended on a necklace undernaeth the Hope Diamond.  In her autobiography, Evelyn had written '....when I neglect to wear jewels, astute members of my family call in doctors because it is a sign I'm becoming ill.'  Perhaps the same could have been said of Wallis?

This diamond weighs 31.26 carats, is cushion-shaped and set between tapered baguette diamond single stone shoulders.  Evelyn Walsh McLean had died in 1947; Harry Winston bought her jewellery collection in 1949 and the Duke and Duchess purchased this ring from him in May 1950.

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: June 09, 2007, 11:23:12 AM »
For those who love emeralds, Wallis's engagement ring in its second incarnation.......

This ring was made by Cartier in Paris for the Duchess in 1958, using the stone from her original engagement ring.  The emerald is step-cut with cut corners weighing 19.77 carats; set within a stylised leaf border set with brilliant-cut diamonds inscribed :Monture Cartier; together with the original emerald ring mount by Cartier, London, 1936, inscribed in facsimile in the shank: We are ours now 27 X 36; and signed Cartier, London

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: June 09, 2007, 11:29:43 AM »
Perhaps one of the most personal and avocative jewels - Wallis's diamond POW plumes......

I think that the Duchess would have been happy to know that Elizabeth Taylor, whose own collection of jewellery almost rivals that of the Duchess and could perhaps have called herself a friend, bought this lovely piece............

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 09, 2007, 12:40:52 PM »

I love this photo of Wallis.  She looks like she is having such a good time and clutching on to all that she holds dear......her jewels!

She is wearing her cross-over diamond necklace which did not appear in the sale of her jewels.  Did this piece not survive?  Or did she give it away?

She is also wearing the Cartier onyx and diamond panther bangle and  clip, the onyx and diamond tiger bracelet as well as the McLean diamond.........
The necklace and a flower brooch with 5 pear shaped emeralds were reset as a necklace by Cartier from which to hang the 49 carat pearshaped emerald once owned by Alfonso XIII of Spain & bought by the Windsors via Harry Winston...(by excanging a Cartier emerald bead & diamond tiara/necklace AND a baguetter diamond & emerald 2 row necklace) . The pendant & necklace were both in the Windsor sale..

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 09, 2007, 12:52:32 PM »
Thank you very much for that information Ashdean.  I had no idea that the emerald and diamond necklace had been composed of pieces that came from the duchess's collection.

Whilst one cannot but admire the wonderful emerald and diamond necklace, it does seem a bit of a shame that the diamond necklace fell victim to its creation......

Offline Duke of New Jersey

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: June 09, 2007, 05:17:05 PM »
What did Edward take out of England?  I have heard he took some things, what were they?

-Duke of NJ

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 10, 2007, 04:03:18 AM »
There has been much discussion of heirloom jewels that he allegedly took with him - notably the so-called 'Alexandra emeralds', but no one has ever been able to prove that these jewels in fact existed, or that he took anything to which he was not entitled............

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 10, 2007, 06:36:44 AM »
What is the background of the Alexandra Emeralds...history so forth and is there an image of them at any point? I also had heard the Story that he was allowed to take some jewelry...but of course I couldn't find anything to back it up.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #494 on: June 10, 2007, 12:58:09 PM »
Check this link

http://forum.alexanderpalace.org/index.php/topic,8200.msg235829.html#msg235829

for a good bit of info on the emeralds.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/