Author Topic: Movies about the British Royal family  (Read 115868 times)

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: THE QUEEN - new DIANA film starring Dame Helen Mirren
« Reply #420 on: May 10, 2007, 05:00:23 AM »
Was she expected to kowtow to the palace?  ???

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 10, 2007, 05:51:16 AM »
Well at least curtsey !  ;) She put her work above the honor of seeing the Queen. A dedicated worker.

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 10, 2007, 10:16:23 AM »
Well to me Helen's decision is not something to be unduly admired. It was her decision though, she has the right to refuse the invitation if she really thought she couldn't go.
His Royal Highness Prince Albert Victor Christian Edward of Wales, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, Earl of Athlone, Knight of The Most Noble Order of the Garter, Knight of The Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 10, 2007, 01:09:07 PM »
Ms Mirren is filming in  North Dakota. Not exactly a place one can flly from for an overnight stay in London and be back to work rhe next morning. Not even if Concord were still flying! She is under contract and delays in filming schedules are very costly to the production, they are not taken lightly. Perhpas if the Palace had planned a better time , convienent to both? It is simply a matter of practicality, not kow-towing. And, she is certainly not the first to have to send regrets for such reasons.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #424 on: May 10, 2007, 06:58:41 PM »
It was pretty last-minute too, from what I understand from the papers--given shortly before EII left for the US. Perhaps with more notice something could've been worked out. Hopefully something will be in the future.

Here's what defamer.com (big ole gossip site  ;) ) has to say:

"I was honoured to be invited to dinner at the Palace. This was a gracious gesture and very appreciated by me. It was therefore hard to have to decline. I was contracted on that date to be working in South Dakota, in a situation which was impossible to change....I would have made every effort to attend if it had been humanly possible. I explained this to the Palace officials, and I believe they understood. I would never have the hubris or the rudeness to insult anyone who had the kindness to invite me to dinner. "

"The "National Treasure: Book of Secrets" production company regrets that it was unable to release Ms. Mirren from her shooting schedule in order to accept the honor of dining with Queen Elizabeth last week. All attempts were made to accommodate Her Majesty's request but a very challenging and uncompromising production schedule in South Dakota, complicated further by poor weather conditions and locked-in locations, made this impossible. Ms. Mirren has only the greatest admiration and respect for the Queen, and is truly sorry that prior commitments to the production prevented her from accepting the Queen's kind and prestigious invitation."
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 10, 2007, 08:52:19 PM »
Hope there will be another opportunity.  ;)

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 11, 2007, 06:48:11 AM »
Those statements posted above from defamer.com sound very official and legitimate and explain the situation well. I don't see why they can't arrange another date which is possible for the both of them to meet.
But the Queen hasn't seen "The Queen'' has she? So she couldn't give Helen a critique of her portrayal of herself!
His Royal Highness Prince Albert Victor Christian Edward of Wales, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, Earl of Athlone, Knight of The Most Noble Order of the Garter, Knight of The Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 11, 2007, 08:21:08 PM »
I think the Queen appreciate the sympathic portrayal of her in the movie who made her more popluar. It certainly a peep at "her side of the story". I think most likely Charles, William & Harry had seen it and told her about it.  ::)

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 12, 2007, 12:00:33 PM »
That is nowhere near the same as seeing it for oneself. I read a lot about it, but I had no idea what it was truly like and how good it was until I saw it for myself. Most likely, if Dame Helen and the Queen do meet, they will talk about many things other than the movie!

And really, I don't know how easy it would be for Harry and William, and maybe even Charles and Camilla to watch, we can't assume they have seen it either.

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
  • Queen Mary: Visions of Grandeur
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 12, 2007, 04:16:05 PM »
I recently read in an article that the queen never likes to see herself portrayed in movies. I also agree that it would be awkward if they discussed the movie. But if they did, it sure would be interesting to watch! :)
"I shall be very disappointed," she remarked for the record, "if George doesn't come up again." Queen Mary upon hearing her husband was to ride in a submarine.

When asked the question of when her eldest son would return to the country Queen Mary said, "Not until he comes to my funeral."

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 12, 2007, 07:03:46 PM »
I think most likely Charles, William & Harry had seen it and told her about it.  ::)

I simply cannot envisage them viewing this movie - any movie - about the present royal family.  I think Charles would consider it a waste of his time and the sons just wouldn't be interested (they would have closed off a long time ago about media portrayals of their late mother) and certainly wouldn't report their opinions back to "Granny" on it - in my opinion anyway.  ??? 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 07:08:34 PM by Grace »

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 13, 2007, 08:21:12 PM »
I think William, Harry and rebels like Zara would have seen it. It was the film people are talking about.  ;)

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 16, 2007, 08:17:15 AM »
Yes Grace is right on this one - they wouldn't have seen it. It wouldn't be easy for them, Charles wouldn't even consider it I'm sure. And William and Harry would find it much too awkward and disconcerting. The Queen flat out refuses to watch any portryal of herself. The proposed meeting between Mirren and the Queen would have involved disussing the success of the film, Mirren's thoughts about her portrayal and it's succes, rather than discussing the issues in the film itself I would think.

Offline Noelle Royale

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 16, 2007, 07:14:37 PM »
The writer of the film Peter Morgan really puzzles me.They say he wrote a sympatheic potrayal of HM the Queen,during that terrible time in 1997 when Her Majesty looked really bad.Alot of people say that he made her and makes her look good in this film and it's script.But during his acceptance speech in the Golden Globes Awards Ceremony he called her a"stubborn old lady"Which is downright disrespectful and disgusting.With that comment he seems to say what many of Her Majesty's detractors keep saying about her whenever the Diana subject comes up.Is Mr. Morgan one of those anti-Monarchists?

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 16, 2007, 08:58:57 PM »
I think he wants to be fair ! The fim actually gave her side of the story when the Queen had no voice in the matter of Diana.  ::)