Author Topic: Movies about the British Royal family  (Read 115867 times)

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: THE QUEEN - new DIANA film starring Dame Helen Mirren
« Reply #435 on: May 17, 2007, 01:40:27 AM »
I suppose referring to the Queen as a "stubborn old lady" is not necessarily a detrimental  remark.  It could simply refer to the fact that HM puts duty first in her life, regardless of the circumstances, and attempted to do so at the unprecedented time of Diana's death.

I found the portrayal of Elizabeth in the film sympathetic but not everyone agrees with this.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 17, 2007, 02:58:48 AM »
I agree with you !  ;)

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
  • Queen Mary: Visions of Grandeur
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 17, 2007, 06:56:34 PM »
I suppose the comment could be taken either way. Some could see it as a testament to her steadfastness and value of tradition. On the other hand, some might interpret it to mean she is old fashioned and dowdy! One final interpretation is that her stubborn behavior was a reaction to all Diana's publicity. I personally tend to agree with the steadfast and tradition ideas.

I also agree with you Grace on the portrayal. :)
Regards,
Mary R.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 07:03:53 PM by Mary R. »
"I shall be very disappointed," she remarked for the record, "if George doesn't come up again." Queen Mary upon hearing her husband was to ride in a submarine.

When asked the question of when her eldest son would return to the country Queen Mary said, "Not until he comes to my funeral."

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 17, 2007, 08:40:57 PM »
Glad we seem to agree on this.  ;)

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 19, 2007, 01:53:00 PM »
Earlier in the thread, the topic of whether Prince Philip calls the queen "cabbage" came up. Does anyone know if this is true?

Regards,
Mary R.
"I shall be very disappointed," she remarked for the record, "if George doesn't come up again." Queen Mary upon hearing her husband was to ride in a submarine.

When asked the question of when her eldest son would return to the country Queen Mary said, "Not until he comes to my funeral."

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 20, 2007, 01:31:16 AM »
It was said that that bit was based on truth.  ;)

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 20, 2007, 02:12:45 AM »
The writer of the film Peter Morgan really puzzles me.They say he wrote a sympatheic potrayal of HM the Queen,during that terrible time in 1997 when Her Majesty looked really bad.Alot of people say that he made her and makes her look good in this film and it's script.But during his acceptance speech in the Golden Globes Awards Ceremony he called her a"stubborn old lady"Which is downright disrespectful and disgusting.With that comment he seems to say what many of Her Majesty's detractors keep saying about her whenever the Diana subject comes up.Is Mr. Morgan one of those anti-Monarchists?

Maybe he wrote the script to make a very good and successful film, telling a story in this particular way, sympathetic to the Queen. Perhaps in his speech he let his true feelings show, and showed a lack of respect? Or perhaps as others said, he did not mean ''stubborn old lady'' in a bad way. Still, my first impression of that phrase, is not favourable, it sounds disrespectful to me.

As for Philip calling the Queen ''cabbage'', I would like to know where that came from? He would only call her that rarely I'm sure!
His Royal Highness Prince Albert Victor Christian Edward of Wales, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, Earl of Athlone, Knight of The Most Noble Order of the Garter, Knight of The Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 20, 2007, 04:11:05 AM »
Eric & MaryR. It has been cited in bios of the real Queen that "Cabbage" is a pet name Phillip uses for her. Sounds kind of apprpriate. Wonder what she uses for him?
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 20, 2007, 09:08:10 AM »
I wonder where he came up with cabbage?

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 20, 2007, 11:08:35 AM »
Who knows?  It is a persoanl endearment.  Think of some of the names you call those you are very fond of....
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #445 on: May 20, 2007, 02:38:56 PM »
A lot of times, personal nicknames don't make sense except to the 2 involved.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 20, 2007, 08:08:13 PM »
Yes...I agree.  :D

Offline Janet

• Boyar
  • There is nothing like a Dame ... of the Thistle
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 21, 2007, 12:19:04 PM »
Isn't "mon petit chou" an enderament in French?  Perhaps that's where ti came from.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 21, 2007, 08:27:11 PM »
Perhaps ! I know that the Queen & Philip switch the conversation to French when they don't want others to hear the conversation.  ;)

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 21, 2007, 08:32:40 PM »
I read somewhere that they sometimes argue in French! :) Being bilingual can come in handy!

Regards,
Mary R.