Author Topic: Movies about the British Royal family  (Read 114675 times)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: THE QUEEN - new DIANA film starring Dame Helen Mirren
« Reply #450 on: May 21, 2007, 09:14:04 PM »
Yes...however compare to Edward VII who speaks English, French & German, and Marie Coburg who spoke the above all plus Russian, it is not much.  :(

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
  • Queen Mary: Visions of Grandeur
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 21, 2007, 09:25:44 PM »
Very true. The language was a necessity at the large weddings and other "royal mob" gatherings. Not quite the same these days..everyone just speaks English.

Regards,
Mary R.
"I shall be very disappointed," she remarked for the record, "if George doesn't come up again." Queen Mary upon hearing her husband was to ride in a submarine.

When asked the question of when her eldest son would return to the country Queen Mary said, "Not until he comes to my funeral."

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 21, 2007, 11:47:26 PM »
Indeed ! English is now universal. Hard to imagaine it was once used only by the Nannies (most came from England) at the court.  ;)

Offline Duke of New Jersey

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Movies about the British Royal family
« Reply #453 on: May 31, 2007, 09:45:04 PM »
Is there anything (good) on William and Mary?  I can't seem to find anything.  :P

-Duke of NJ

Offline koloagirl

• Graf
  • Loving each other and having faith always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: August 12, 2007, 04:12:08 PM »
 ;D

Aloha all!

I am so thrilled -- I just checked the "IMDB" website for an update on this film and saw that it not only was in production and being filmed right now -- they have an actor that I actually somewhat know as Sir John Conroy!   ;D

Mark Strong is a wonderful actor who is currently the villain Septimus in "Stardust" -- but back a few years ago he did a film here on Kaua'i called "To End All Wars" -- he was one of the leads and my husband (and me, somewhat) worked on this film during the 3 month shoot.  Mark Strong was unusually kind and considerate to everyone on the set -- going so far as to get a blanket for a background actor who he knew to be ill (and who was working a night shoot) -- and did lots of other things that showed him to be a genuinely nice person.

Anyway, I was thrilled to bits to see he is in this much-anticipated (at least by me!) film!  And I think he does prove the old adage that the nicest people make the best villains (at least in the film world!).
 ;D
Janet R.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #455 on: August 12, 2007, 04:55:11 PM »
Thanks for the update! I checked the actor--since I'm taking Kaitlyn to see Stardust tonight--and he was also in Syriana (with George Clooney) and the Kate Beckinsale version of Emma (he played Mr Knightley!). As well as Stardust, he's also in the current film Sunshine (which my hubby wants to see) with Cillian Murphy--as well as in the Ralph Fiennes Sunshine which is a totally different movie. For our Tudor fans, he played the Duke of Norfolk in the Ray Winstone version of Henry VIII.l
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: August 12, 2007, 05:58:48 PM »

Sarah Ferguson is considered as one of the producers for bringing the project to the production group. I guess if it pulls a 'The Queen' and rules the Oscars, we'll see Fergie on Oscar night.  :)

I cannot wait!!!

Even my estemeed best budy and partner/adversary in crime, Grace from the land down under,  will be rooting for Sarah I am sure!   ;D ;D ;D

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: August 14, 2007, 06:41:11 PM »
I just checked IMDB and noticed that Miranda Richardson is to play the Duchess of Kent!  :D

Mary R.
"I shall be very disappointed," she remarked for the record, "if George doesn't come up again." Queen Mary upon hearing her husband was to ride in a submarine.

When asked the question of when her eldest son would return to the country Queen Mary said, "Not until he comes to my funeral."

Offline Janet

• Boyar
  • There is nothing like a Dame ... of the Thistle
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: August 15, 2007, 12:40:11 AM »
Is Benita Stoney also involved with this production?

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: August 15, 2007, 12:54:30 AM »
I cannot imagine Miranda Richardson in the role of the Duchess of Kent. The actress who played her in Victoria and Albert was wonderful. She even looked more like her. Miranda is a good actress but totally miscast. No doubt they wanted a name.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: August 15, 2007, 09:04:35 AM »
Katie Holmes in anything is enough to make me want to empty the contents of my stomach. As for Friedrich III,  I think Colin Firth would be excellent with whiskers. As for Victoria that is an interesting one. It certainly would make a great drama. Thankfully the Potsdam summer palaces are all still there as is Schloss Friedrichshof near Kronberg. It would be great to see the New Palace used even if only for exteriors.

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 15, 2007, 11:55:38 AM »
Any suggestions for the Duchess of Kent?  ???

Mary R.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: August 15, 2007, 10:57:38 PM »
Perhaps Helen McCrory although facially she is not very similar .

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: August 16, 2007, 09:17:45 AM »
She would be a good choice! Would anyone be opposed to an American actress portraying the Duchess?

Mary R.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #464 on: August 16, 2007, 09:45:12 AM »
According to an article on Rope of Silicon, Emily Blunt is set to star as the young Queen Victoria.http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/news.php?id=5606.
She played Catherine Howard in the series "Henry VIII" with Ray Winstone.

Emily Blunt is too pretty to play Victoria, but maybe she can pull it off...  Funny, I don't remember her in Winstone's Henry VIII even though I saw it, but then again it was a very unmemorable movie  :P.

Here's a fairly good article on it.  Apparently Fergie is involved in it somehow.

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2007/03/22/scorsese-fergie/

Fergie once came out with a coffee table book about Victoria, maybe that's why?

Judi Dench was a great (and Oscar-nominated) Queen Victoria in "Mrs. Brown". I enjoyed the A&E miniseries Victoria and Albert as well. At least the former should be available at video stories--it's just a few years old.

Yes, Mrs Brown was one of the best. The A&E miniseries with Victoria Hamilton was very good, IMO, and even though Hamilton didn't look a thing like QV, I thought she pulled it off quite well...

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 09:48:07 AM by Helen_A »