Author Topic: Movies about the British Royal family  (Read 105503 times)

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
Re: Movies about the British Royal family
« Reply #495 on: February 18, 2008, 04:49:27 PM »
I'm interested by your opinions, tsaria. I watched 2 episodes of the Palace, and while I found it moderately entertaining, I also thought it was very over the top, particularly the idea of the King's sister wanting to get rid of him. That said, maybe I should've given it more of a chance - if only I had more control over what gets put on TV in my house!
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 18, 2008, 05:27:45 PM »
It is not currently being broadcast in the USA to my knowledge but sounds like a great soap opera for those with "Inquiring Minds"......my kinda stuff!!!!

;) ;) ;) ;)

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline belianis

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 13, 2009, 03:11:32 PM »
In this comedy movie, the ,,entire'' House of Windsor is electrocuted in a freak accident, and the succession passes to the bastard son of a very minor member of the British royal house.
Although John Goodman is very funny in the title role, I did not enjoy the movie because the premise was too farfetched. Am I right in supposing that the line of succession for the British throne is very long, covering at least several hundred people?

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #498 on: January 13, 2009, 03:52:25 PM »
  "........several hundred people."   AT LEAST!   My response will be overly-simplified, but the CURRENT screen on "Succession" on the British Monarchy's web site shows 40 people alone of the present Royal Family.  (Obviously there are many, many others, spread throughout the world, who could POTENTIALLY be advanced for consideration via descent.)  The key (and high-lighted opening) quote on the Site is as follows:  "The succession to the throne is regulated not only through descent, but also by Parliamentary statute."  There are many sites on the Internet that can give you amplified listings and regulations.  Bear in mind that with each birth/death, etc., the picture/order can continuously change.   Best  regards, and a Happy New Year to you.     AP
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 04:06:04 PM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 13, 2009, 04:32:50 PM »
Although John Goodman is very funny in the title role, I did not enjoy the movie because the premise was too farfetched.

Well, that's the general idea of comedy, I guess.  I think this movie is hilarious and I hope it's on the telly again soon!

Offline CHRISinUSA

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 14, 2009, 05:26:10 PM »
There are presently 54 descendents of King George V in the line of succession (ending with Maximilian Lascelles (born 1991 to the nephew of the 7th Earl of Harewood and thus a great-grandson of Mary, Princess Royal).

If they were all wiped out, the next in line are the family of the Dukes of Fife (the next senior line of Edward VII, and descendents of Louise, Princess Royal's daughter Maud, Countess of Southesk, who are #55 - #61.

#62 - #84 are the Royal Familiy of Norway, all descended from Edward VII's daughter Maud, who was the mother of King Olav V of Norway and grandmother of the present King of Norway, Harold V.

#85 - #110 are the Royal Families of Romania and Yugoslovia, both descended from Afred, Duke of Edinburgh (son of Queen Victoria).

#111 = #189 are also descended from Afred, Duke of Edinburgh, and run through various royal lines of Russia, Leiningen, Prussia, Oldenburg, Hohenlohe-Langenburg, and Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.

#190 - #245 are the Royal Families of Sweden, Denmark, and Greece, all descended from Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught (son of Queen Victoria) through his daughter Margaret.

#246 - #255 are the Ramsey's of Mar, all descended from the Duke of Connaught's younger daughter Princess Patricia.

All told, there are 526 descendents of King George III in the line of succession, and another 837 descended from King George II.  Most of these folks hold a royal or noble title or are not that far removed from one.  You'd have to wipe out a massive football stadium full of royals before Ralph of the United States of America would land on the British throne!!!

Offline Nikola

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 14, 2009, 06:16:52 PM »
At 485. place on the list of the "Line of succession to the British throne" is the HRH prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh (the husband of Queen Elizabeth II), grandson of Victoria, Marchioness of Milford Haven through her daughter, Princess Alice.

Offline belianis

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 14, 2009, 06:19:51 PM »
There are presently 54 descendents of King George V in the line of succession (ending with Maximilian Lascelles (born 1991 to the nephew of the 7th Earl of Harewood and thus a great-grandson of Mary, Princess Royal).

If they were all wiped out, the next in line are the family of the Dukes of Fife (the next senior line of Edward VII, and descendents of Louise, Princess Royal's daughter Maud, Countess of Southesk, who are #55 - #61.

#62 - #84 are the Royal Familiy of Norway, all descended from Edward VII's daughter Maud, who was the mother of King Olav V of Norway and grandmother of the present King of Norway, Harold V.

#85 - #110 are the Royal Families of Romania and Yugoslovia, both descended from Afred, Duke of Edinburgh (son of Queen Victoria).

#111 = #189 are also descended from Afred, Duke of Edinburgh, and run through various royal lines of Russia, Leiningen, Prussia, Oldenburg, Hohenlohe-Langenburg, and Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.

#190 - #245 are the Royal Families of Sweden, Denmark, and Greece, all descended from Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught (son of Queen Victoria) through his daughter Margaret.

#246 - #255 are the Ramsey's of Mar, all descended from the Duke of Connaught's younger daughter Princess Patricia.

All told, there are 526 descendents of King George III in the line of succession, and another 837 descended from King George II.  Most of these folks hold a royal or noble title or are not that far removed from one.  You'd have to wipe out a massive football stadium full of royals before Ralph of the United States of America would land on the British throne!!!
That is exactly what I suspected when I watched the movie back in 1991.

Offline CHRISinUSA

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 15, 2009, 08:03:44 AM »
At 485. place on the list of the "Line of succession to the British throne" is the HRH prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh (the husband of Queen Elizabeth II), grandson of Victoria, Marchioness of Milford Haven through her daughter, Princess Alice.

Yes, while scanning the list I noticed numerous people who would have appeared on the list multiple times through different lines of descent...

alixaannencova

« Reply #504 on: February 28, 2009, 09:54:42 AM »
Oh but to be in England this forthcoming Friday! I do trust that some of our lucky members in dear old Blighty will fill us in on what this film is like please!!!!!

I love the idea of Rupert Friend as Albert..... if I were younger I'd have posters of him all over my bedroom wall...he is so yummy!

On a more serious gown up note, I am dying to hear what this is like! I mean it will no doubt be utterly fab being a Martin Scorsese film and the website clips look ravishing, and Emily Blunt looks promisingly good too, and Jim Broadbent 'is' William IV too from the tiny bit one can see.

I still can't come to terms with Paul Bettany (aged thirty six at the time of filming) as Melbourne though. That irritates me as he seems too young, and I think a hint of ageism has been allowed to influence casting there. After all, finding an actor of fifty eight (which is the age Melbourne was in 1837 when Victoria ascended the throne) whom the audience could accept as being the object of the young Queen's first proper 'pash' must have been a little awkward to resolve.

Anyway I may change my mind after seeing the film, and I can't wait to hear news and views come Saturday next...toodle pip!

« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 10:26:25 AM by alixaannencova »

Offline Charity

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 03, 2009, 10:28:34 PM »
I really look forward to hearing opinions on this film by fellow posters!  I just came across this article which suggests that Victoria and Albert were illegitimate.  What do you all think of this? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1158993/Were-Queen-Victoria-Prince-Albert-illegitimate.html
I never made Who's Who, but I'm featured in What's That?

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #506 on: March 03, 2009, 11:02:57 PM »

Crapola.  For one thing, Victoria and ALbert were born to parents who were married.  For another,  Victoria is a spitting of her father, the duke of Kent -- she's got Hanover coming out all over her.  There have been questions for years that Albert was not fathered by the Duke - but again, no real evidence ... AN Wilson should know better, but we are talking about the Daily Mail, which would not know a fact checker or an editor who actually checked facts, even if the fact checker was standing right in front of them.

I really look forward to hearing opinions on this film by fellow posters!  I just came across this article which suggests that Victoria and Albert were illegitimate.  What do you all think of this? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1158993/Were-Queen-Victoria-Prince-Albert-illegitimate.html

Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Charity

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 03, 2009, 11:22:49 PM »
Yes, the Daily Mail has never been the paragon of truthful journalism, has it?!

I had heard about the rumours about Albert of course, but was somewhat surprised to read this about Victoria, for, as you pointed out, her gene's are very noticeable.
I never made Who's Who, but I'm featured in What's That?

Offline jehan

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 03, 2009, 11:30:33 PM »

Crapola.  For one thing, Victoria and ALbert were born to parents who were married.  For another,  Victoria is a spitting of her father, the duke of Kent -- she's got Hanover coming out all over her.  There have been questions for years that Albert was not fathered by the Duke - but again, no real evidence ... AN Wilson should know better, but we are talking about the Daily Mail, which would not know a fact checker or an editor who actually checked facts, even if the fact checker was standing right in front of them.

You are right of course- it's nonsense.  A lot of people say that Conroy must have been her real father because of the hemophilia gene.  But has anybody found any traces of the disease in Conroy's family?  I've never seen any proof of it there either.

And another error on the article states that had Victoria died before she had a child the monarchy would have collapsed as there were no other heirs.  This may have been the case in 1817 when Charlotte died, but by 1840 there were George of Cumberland, and the Cambridge children George, Augusta and Mary- all her first cousins.
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in. 
(leonard Cohen)

Offline RoyalWatcher

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 04, 2009, 04:14:47 PM »
What is up with the Daily Mail and that article? What a load of rubbish. And people actually subscribe to this...rag?