Author Topic: Princess Viggo, nee Eleanor Green  (Read 7280 times)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Princess Viggo, nee Eleanor Green
« on: August 20, 2006, 11:23:26 PM »
This topic was one of those that got wiped off by the black out. Do want to know more about this funny looking and rich American who married into the Danish Royal Family.  ;D

Offline viv rosendahl

• east,west, home is best
    • View Profile
Re: Princess Viggo, nee Eleanor Green
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 06:20:25 PM »
Eleanor Green ('Peggy') was the daugther of a wealthy American doctor. She married Prince Viggo of Denmark in 1924, and the couple
settled in Copenhagen. Prince Viggo was a career officer with the Household Cavalry.
He had to relinquish his title and succession rights and was created count Viggo of Rosenborg. However the couple were popularly
known as Prince and Princess Viggo.

They were a popular couple in the Copenhagen society, and as I remember it from my childhood, they attended every big royal event.
Princess Viggo had the financial means to support charities and help out people in need, GD Olga in particular. She bought some
of Olga's paintings and assisted her family when they left for Canada in 1948.

Yes, Princess viggo was a jolly looking lady, and a kind and generous woman at that.

The couple  had no children. Princess Viggo died in 1966 and her husband in 1970.

Hope this helps!

Viv

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 08:47:20 PM »
Thanks...I wonder who inheirited her estate when she died ?  ???

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 09:02:19 PM »
She left some money to a local church (she was very religious) and some of her jewelry (if not all) to various relatives of Prince Viggo.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 10:27:45 PM »
Thanks ! i heard she was very popular with members of the Danich Royal family. Although she should be only a Countess of Rosenberg, most called her Princess Viggio of Denmark. A testiment on her popularity. Someone should at least write an article on her, she derserves that at least.  ;)

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 01:13:08 PM »
Yes, Princess Viggo was one ot the most popular members of the RF and everybody seems to have liked her very much. Her marriage with Viggo was very happy, eventhough there was rumors that he only married her for money, since it happend shortly after the Landmandsbank scandal.
Some of the estate after the couple were sold in a public auction.
When the executor came to value their home, he found on Princess Viggo's piano the music sheets to "Sometime my prince will come".

The official style and title of Princess Viggo was HH Princess Viggo, Countess of Rosenborg.  Prince Viggo was after he renounced his right to the throne for him and his descendants, HH Prince Viggo, Count of Rosenborg.

Offline Michael II

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 03:37:40 PM »
I believe that around 1960, King Fredrick IX gave her the Order of the Elephant. :)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 09:03:52 PM »
Thanks for the info...I wonder who she was closest to in Denmark ? Did she miss her relatives in New York ? ???

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 01:48:56 PM »
I think she was closest to her husbands family (the Valdemars), but the couple's home was a gathering place for many people, not at least for the younger members of the family. Most of Princess Viggo's jewelry went to Count Flemming and to the children of Prince Erik.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 09:16:30 PM »
Thanks for the info and the photo.  ;)

Leuchtenberg

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 01:38:13 PM »
Thanks for the info...I wonder who she was closest to in Denmark ? Did she miss her relatives in New York ? ???

She did not come from a large family, so I don't believe she had that many relatives in America.

Princess Viggo never completely grasped the Danish language and she preferred to speak to her husband's family in English or in French.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 08:55:35 PM »
It would be good to do some reseach on her.  ::) Yes I believe she did not have many relatives in US as she left most of her stuff back within the Danish Royal Family.