Author Topic: Once A Grand Duke & Always A Grand Duke by Alexander Mikhailovich  (Read 12320 times)

Offline Nayomini

• View Profile
Re: Once A Grand Duke & Always A Grand Duke by Alexander Mikhailovich
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2009, 05:47:06 AM »
Yes. I read it on line as an e book. Very interesting and the Grand Duke write very well in English. He presents a post-Czar world, in which the former Romanovs feel somewhat lost like for an example, having to ask for visa on a passport, the Grand Duke says was strange, especially when as Russian royals, they didn't need one to travel.  I believe that this would be the web address for the book.  http://www.archive.org/stream/alwaysagrandduke012155mbp#page/n1/mode/2up.

Alixz

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2009, 07:53:53 AM »
Sarushka - I am surprised that Grand Duke Alexander Mikailovich's books aren't on your list.

We know him as "Sandro" and he was married to Grand Duchess Xenia.

I think that is why when Van Der Kiste and Hall wrote their biography of Xenia, they called it Once a Grand Duchess

I have both books in my collection.  Once a Grand Duke was my second Romanov book after Ian Vorres's The Last Grand Duchess.

Both of Sandro's books are quoted widely in other biographies and histories of the Romanovs.  Massie used them in Nicholas & Alexandra.

Both books are good references for the atmosphere of the times, but Sandro did have his opinions and he is very free in giving them.  His slant on Alexandra and Felix Yusupov and others has since been shown to be personal bias.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 07:55:43 AM by Alixz »

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
Sarushka - I am surprised that Grand Duke Alexander Mikailovich's books aren't on your list.

Many of what might be considered the "core" memoirs are not in the Book Finder yet. I didn't make them a priority as the majority are already available in full on the main APTM site. Sandro's are an exception. I read Once a Grand Duke long before the conception of the Book Finder, and haven't gotten around to re-requesting it from the library.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Alixz

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2010, 03:29:21 AM »
I agree with everyone here.  The first book is excellent - Once A Grand Duke

The second one was not so good Always a Grand Duke

And the third one Twilight of Royalty is a "yawn".