Author Topic: Alastair, 2nd Duke of Connaught & Strathearn  (Read 26369 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Alastair, 2nd Duke of Connaught & Strathearn
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2007, 11:06:08 PM »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

alixaannencova

Re: Alastair, 2nd Duke of Connaught & Strathearn
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2008, 05:19:49 AM »
I know that we have been over this before but I have been discussing Alastair with several elderly relatives and their friends over the last year or two. In most cases none have ever heard of him, but a couple of very precious ones did recall him. Like my grandmother they too confirmed the stereotypical memories one has of him but like my mother and grandmother ,the nature of his death provoked arched eyebrows and 'enough said' which needless to say drove me up the wall with curiosity.

According to my Grandmother he was found dead 'naked' in the garden, she died in the eighties and was always regarded as the 'one in the know' within the family. A cousin mentioned an open window and emphasized this when reiterating that he was always well known for his 'craziness.' A dear old friend of the family who died many years ago told my mother that Alastair was 'potty.' It was only after years that Mummy suddenly and most unexpectedly shared the 'potty' anecdote although she refused to elaborate on her mother's assertions, but said that 'he died in peculiar circumstances.'

It may be speculation, but I do wonder if it may be feasible that Alastair may have committed suicide? I do appreciate this suggestion may cause an enormous amount of horrified outrage, but when one looks at extended families in general (mine included) one has to accept such tragedies do happen, and the fact that Affie Junior tried...therefore the RF is not immune to such circumstances. I only consider this scenario because of the oddness of the coverage after his death, his so called 'character' and the general consensus of him and how he died by those who were alive when he perished!