Author Topic: Your Ten Most Disliked Royals and why  (Read 118842 times)

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
Re: Your Ten Most Disliked Royals and why
« Reply #495 on: September 02, 2007, 01:50:45 PM »
Dolguruky18, I see you have Isabeau of Bavaria on your second list. Vile woman but fascinating nonetheless.
Member of the Richard III Society

dolgoruky18

« Reply #496 on: September 02, 2007, 03:35:08 PM »
Kimberly, thank you for taking the trouble to read my lists.

Actually, I've just finished reading through every post on this thread and am staggered at the violence of some of the views expressed. When I joined this forum I thought I would have the pleasure of discussing History, Politics, Economics, Genealogy, Genetics, Religion et al  -
all in a spirit of calm, free exchange of thoughtful views, opinions and information  -  and perhaps a dash of humour. But this particular tide of venom really makes me wonder if it is at all worthwhile. I have often thought over the years that an expressed interest in monarchy often cloaks something that is, deep down,  the exact opposite. Many of the comments and exchanges were almost deranged, homophobic, anti-semitic, insulting to the living and grossly disrespectful to the dead. I'm very surprised that the moderators did not intervene.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 02, 2007, 09:09:46 PM »
Sorry to disapoint...May did told a family member that of all her cousins she finds "The Brat" the worst. Yje info was passed to me by one whose mother knew Queen mary quite well in England.

I don't know why Isabella Ii was on the list ?  ???

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
  • Queen Mary: Visions of Grandeur
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 02, 2007, 10:09:35 PM »
How interesting! How did the mother know Queen Mary? 

Mary R.
"I shall be very disappointed," she remarked for the record, "if George doesn't come up again." Queen Mary upon hearing her husband was to ride in a submarine.

When asked the question of when her eldest son would return to the country Queen Mary said, "Not until he comes to my funeral."

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 03, 2007, 12:06:25 AM »
One of her ladies I am told.

dolgoruky18

« Reply #500 on: September 03, 2007, 01:23:21 AM »
Reply to Eric Lowe:

Yes, I was very disappointed.

Isabella II was included on the list because of her notorious behaviour after her marriage. It i well-known that many of her children were not those of her husband, Don Francisco de Assiz. Her marriage was 'infamous' because Louis-Philippe married her younger sister to one of his sons  -  and this was seen as a French attempt to influence Spanish affairs.

By "the Brat", I assume you are referring to Charlotte of Saxe-Meiningen. If I remember correctly, she suffered wretched health all her life and was accused by her relations of undergoing unnecessary operations. Again speaking from memory, I recall that some years ago her body was exhumed and tested for traces of porphyria. The general results indicated that it was present in her remains.

dolgoruky18

« Reply #501 on: September 03, 2007, 01:36:23 AM »
Reply to Kimberly:

I included Isabeau de Baviere because of her appalling behaviour after the mental collapse of her husband Charles VI, the bastardising of her son, Charles VII, by The Treaty of Troyes and a number of other things. Louis XI often referred to himself with grim humour as being the grandson of a"whore". Not surprisingly, she ended up as an object for the fantasies of the Marquis de Sade.

Offline pandora

• Whatever you are, be a good one. Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 03, 2007, 07:48:29 AM »
I enjoyed your summation the most, Guinastasia. Well-said and humorous at the same time. King Karol II of Roumania gave me a headache trying to keep up with his decisions concerning the throne; I have long felt the same towards Grand Duchess Maria Pavelovna - her conversion to the Orthodox religion so late in the game bothered me immensely. And Kaiser Wilhem II often reminds me of my older brother - he can't stand not having all the attention for himself & given an opportunity, he'll "stir the pot" per se, just to see what trouble he can cause...a total pompous pain in the behind...<eyeroll>

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 03, 2007, 08:37:14 AM »
Grace I was most definitely referring to Charlotte's treatment of her Mother, Vicky

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 04, 2007, 04:54:21 AM »
Charly "The Brat" had a sharp tongue and could lash out at anybody. Her victims included Vicky, Missy and of course "poor May." :(

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 05, 2007, 01:55:08 PM »
Please can you tell us Eric what Charley said about May? I don't know of any contact between the two. We know Vicky thoughtful May "very unmaternal".  How was May a victim of Charley?

Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 01:57:13 PM by Eddieboy_uk »
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 05, 2007, 08:54:18 PM »
My source did not tell me what Charly did to May, but the fact that she disliked Charly did came from her mouth. My guess must be some rather hurtful comments she said. It must have surpassed what the Wales girls's acid comments about "May's Wurttemberg hands" or Vicky of Wales comment of "May was a bore". Well... Missy wrote in her bio that Charly did a lot of damage to her, but she did not quote any single instances either.  ???

Offline eejm

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 06, 2007, 01:07:31 PM »
I know it was said to upset May, but what was considered so unattractive about her hands?  Was this a backhanded way at criticizing her father's background? 

Still, her hands - that seems a strange thing to comment on.  They look perfectly normal to me in photos.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: September 06, 2007, 01:14:15 PM »
eejm, Louise was referring to Mays morganatic lineage. It was nothing about her hands. :)
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline eejm

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 06, 2007, 01:24:48 PM »
eejm, Louise was referring to Mays morganatic lineage. It was nothing about her hands. :)

That's what I thought, but it just seems strange that the Wales girls picked her hands instead of her nose or ears or something to insult.   ???

« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 01:26:38 PM by eejm »