Author Topic: The Murder of the Romanovs by Paul Bulygin  (Read 4340 times)

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
  • July 18th 2005: 87 years
    • View Profile
The Murder of the Romanovs by Paul Bulygin
« on: September 22, 2004, 08:08:03 AM »
ahh I am so excited, at my univeristy i just found out that they have a copy of this rare manuscript in their basement and they said that I can check it out! I know that it was published a long time ago but I am just excited anyway because I have never read this book and I have heard so much about it.

Does anyone have anything to add about it? I will tell you about it when I read it..

I am going over to the library in a few hours to pick it up!

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
Re: The Murder of the Romanovs by Paul Bulygin
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 09:33:07 AM »
We have it.
Written in the 20s, co authored by Wilton, a VERY antiSemitic writer for the NY times. Not very detailed, it just relates what little was known at the time. Interesting, but not revealing.

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 09:36:13 AM »
Ohhh OK...Kind of like "Last Days of the Romanovs" by Wilton, I guess, with its anti-Semitism. Well I will enjoy it anyway for its historical significance, if not for its new information.

Offline Greg_King

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Atlantis Magazine
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 09:28:27 PM »
Bulygin wasn't so much anti-Semitic as he was convinced that the Germans were responsible for every single misfortune that befell Russia, and he attempted in his book to lay out a conspiracy theory that the Germans had ordered the Imperial Family killed.

He was on the scene, and worked with Sokolov, so his book is worthwhile, but he also makes a lot of errors and mis-statements of fact that are not true-so the book needs to be read with a great deal of caution factually.

Greg King

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 11:24:36 AM »
Thanks for replying, Greg! Yes, I know what you mean, now. Bulygin makes a lot of factual errors and I don't think he liked Nicholas too much. He keeps saying how weak-minded he was and that Alexandra was controlling his mind as if he were a puppet. What is interesting about this book is that A. Kerensky also wrote a section. In his section he talks about meeting Nicholas and Alex and the kids for the first time, and it was very heartening to hear him speak of his former Emperor and Empress with such respect even though they were becoming prisoners.