Author Topic: possible wives for Prince Georgy  (Read 44678 times)

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: possible wives for Prince Georgy
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2004, 03:57:46 PM »
Hi Apple, Thanks for the New York Society Diary web site.....the pictures of George there are great.....he has turned into a good looking man with a beautiful woman on his arm.  I always thought maybe he would ALWAYS look like that fat kid he use to be!!  So he is rich and apparently aimless....who cares, he is never going to be Tsar.  He might as well enjoy his life as best he can.  Too bad he is not popular enough for us to be reading about him in People Magazine. Somehow I have never even thought about him seriously as a Romanov...it is the other branch of the family that I love.....Arleen

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2004, 11:13:13 PM »
George is neither rich nor aimless. His aunt Helen Kirby has money, but George works for a living. George is not aimless - he has a career and eventually will be head of the Imperial House - at least in some people's opinion.

And, I have news for you, many parties that celebs attend are paid for by other people - it's no disgrace in this day and age.

Offline pushkina

• Boyar
  • Wandering between two worlds,one dead,
    • View Profile
Re: possible wives for Prince Georgy?
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2004, 07:26:42 AM »
... but George works for a living. George is not aimless - he has a career...

what does he do?  and where did he study?

And, I have news for you, many parties that celebs attend are paid for by other people - it's no disgrace in this day and age.

yes, i know. what i meant was that one does not see him at some "top drawer" royal events, such as the recent wedding of CP frederick; the danish romanovs were there,  or even at the spanish wedding, where the former empress farah diba was in attendance and held in madrid, his "home town."
outrageous, alarming, courageous, charming.

Offline pushkina

• Boyar
  • Wandering between two worlds,one dead,
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2004, 07:34:25 AM »
So if he has to marry an "equal" person what does that mean? Will he have to marry, say, Marie of Sweden?  

according to nicholas romanov's writings on his website, the almanach de gotha, with its arrangement of all the royal (princely and grand ducal) families and was the definitive guide when it came to romanovs looking for marriage partners.

perhaps he would have to start there to find an eligible partner?  but no, that was before everybody lost their "jobs". or maybe  not?

poor guy: it's hard enough to find a partner without all the ancestral constraints...there was a very cute pic i saw of one of the norwegian princesses (i think) kissing a frog which served as a good illustration, i thought, of the modern dilemma in finding a mate [you have to kiss a LOT of frogs before finding a prince!].  
outrageous, alarming, courageous, charming.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2004, 09:57:47 AM »
Georgy is an Oxford lad. I believe I was told his career is in banking. [he is interning in a London bank, anyway].
He usually attends "first tier" royal events with his mother, the Grand Duchess Maria. She was at the recent royal weddings. Arturo would know if he was with her. [he told me the GD was, at least].
They are at most of these things, the photographers  just do not normally rush after them, nor do they seek them out..
Cheers,
Robert
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Aliard

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2004, 05:48:14 PM »
Remember, dethroned royals are fine in the eyes of the succesion rules, so he actually has quite a range to pick from.

Offline Namarolf

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2004, 05:47:19 PM »
If he is the head of the house, couldn't he marry anyone and make her a Grand Duchess?

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2004, 10:38:10 PM »
He couldn't - unlike his grandfather - his mother is head of house and she, not he would have to declare her equal.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2004, 05:52:19 PM »
What would be the difference between declaring his potentially unequal partner equal and making any of the other Romanovs she picks on for not being equal equal? It all seems so pointless, even silly right now.

Offline Namarolf

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2004, 06:26:29 PM »
Most people in Europe and America have at least one royal ancestor... I guess anyone could say "Oh well Miss X family comes from Sitting Bull, so she is a royal. Certainly, her mother was not a royal, but the Sioux royal family rules didnt forbid non-royal marriages, so Miss X is a real Sioux princess, an equal to Georgy and a very suitable candidate for becoming Grand Duchess X".

However, it would be much more interesting to see what could happen if Georgy decides to marry one of his despised "Romanovsky", "non-equal" cousins. Very unlikely of course, but I wonder what his mom would say...

Offline James_Davidov

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2004, 09:33:31 PM »
Ok, I tend to avoid the whole current Romanov family thing; I don’t find it that interesting and haven’t ever been in this section of the forum, but this topic got my attention.  Firstly, if the monarchy were to be-reinstated, It's just reckless to suggest a return to autocracy, saying this I do believe that a monarchy could be positive for Russia, but an autocratic government could be disastrous (for any nation)!  
Now if Georgy was at any point to be installed as Emperor, I think that people would not be overly concerned with the level of his marriage, you have to remember, a key role in monarchy now days is ‘celebrity’, and people are no longer willing to support a house which is close doff to any idea of marriage to its citizens.  Houses like Norway, Denmark, and even the Windsor (I think it was the Queen’s niece who recently married a New Zealand Maori Islander she met in Bali) have demonstrated that they understand that their citizens no longer care for or appreciate strict ‘royal blood’ marriage laws.  Also if Georgy was to marry a common Russian women, it would further his cause as head of state. Remember, the Romanov’s have had no direct Russian blood for centuries,  a marriage to an average Russian girl would strengthen the monarchy’s position in Russian society to an overwhelming extent.  As an Australian, I can tell you Crown Princess Mary (who was from Tasmania of all places) and her marriage to Crown Prince Frederick (which was televised live on three different stations!) has provoked a wave of royalist support for the Danish House.  I would estimate there is far more support for our Aussie princess than our British Queen and the house of Windsor, and most would prefer having a Danish Monarch as head of state, then the Windsor’s.  People want to see their monarchs and royal families marry commoners, and the Romanov house would be wise to consider this.  However most importantly, I believe that if Georgy was to marry, it would have to be a woman he had a legitimate relationship with, (Prince Charles and Diana had a poor relationship and the results of that have been disastrous for the House, no to mention the countless historical figures that have been in similar positions).  A royal marriage based on love (I know that sounds really corny), would enable Georgy to fulfill his role to the best of his ability, whether it be as head of a non-ruling house, or one day the Tsar.  A marriage to a non-royal, particularly a Russian, would provide the Russian population with a link to its former house, and, especially if it were founded on a true relationship, a symbol of national pride, whether it’s a princess, commoner, Russian or even a man!

PS> Leave Katya04 alone!!!!!, it was a perfectly reasonable question, he is a public figure, and a lesser known one, I presume the House would desire  as much attention as possible.

PSS> Sorry ths is so long, got a lil carried away :P
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by James_Davidov »
You are a member of the British royal family. We are never tired, and we all love hospitals.
Queen Mary

Ksenia

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2004, 08:40:18 AM »
Hi James ! I was just reading your last post and it made me think. Yes I think to, if that Georgy was to marry a Russian Commoner, it would indeed strengthan the monarchy (bareing in mind if it ever was to be restored) . Quite a few people have wonder why, and how commers could marry into the English Royal Family. Well after the war, King George V set down a law saying that his children could marry common engish people. This would be to make the family more 'english' in a sense.  ;)

Offline James_Davidov

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2004, 09:09:49 AM »
Ksenia

Thanxs for the Windsor info, does that mean Prince William can easily marry a commoner??

I also read yesterday in my sisters marie clair :-[ :-[ :-[lol,  that Russian women make up the majority of the population, i know that its a global fact, but i think its much higher in Russia.  This is a benefit for the house, because I think Russian women would be more willing to support the house if there was like a whole 'fairytale romance' thing going on, not that men wouldn't, or that women would, but u know what i mean :P....
You are a member of the British royal family. We are never tired, and we all love hospitals.
Queen Mary

Ksenia

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2004, 09:27:23 AM »
Yeah I know what you mean James  ;) Yeah William can marry a common person, by law.

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2004, 05:37:45 PM »
I kind of hate being practical here, but it's my nature, so here goes:

William could marry anyone he wants, but he probably won't. Instead, he will likely marry someone from the aristocracy or maybe even a foreign royal, but definitely someone who can stand up to the "gray men" or the marriage will be sunk before it starts.

Georgy cannot marry anyone he wants, but he needs to marry well anyway. He needs someone of equal rank, and he needs someone with money or access to money. Is there anyone who can fit this bill? Don't know. But, let us just ponder what will happen if he fails to marry well.

If he fails to marry at all, the "Imperial" dynasty goes extinct upon his and Maria V's deaths. Finito, finished, the end, buh-bye.

What happens if he marries a commoner? Well, the Vladimirovichi are then in a weird position. They have based exclusion of the rest of the family on their "unequal marriages". Maria V has said she thinks the concept of equal marriage is anachronistic (I happen to agree with her, FWIW), so she could in theory abolish it as a requirement for the one remaining dynast, Georgy. However, this might errode the respect she enjoys among Russian monarchists and others.

However, I do think if Georgy does not marry or marries unequally, that is a good chance for the family to reconcile.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens.