Author Topic: Forum Preferences #2  (Read 22944 times)

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
Forum Preferences #2
« on: September 04, 2006, 06:53:59 PM »
 ??? >:( :'(

After over 2 years and well over 3000 posts, I have been demoted to newbie again :P Why? Is this a glitch? I noticed a few days ago that it had happened to a couple other older members and now it's happened to me. Can it be fixed? Can I ever get my post count back?

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
Re: Why am I a newbie again? What happened to my posts?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 06:55:24 PM »
Okay I found my posts, the number was really small and in a different place. But why am I a newbie again?

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 06:58:03 PM »
I think the board is being run by a new program, and it only counts its post for your rank.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 07:15:30 PM »
Are we all newbies? Can we get new statuses? I always thought 'God' was a not a good name for a status anyway. Maybe FA can create some new ones? I have a couple of forums and you can create your own ranks and statuses by going to 'edit membergroups.' Anybody got any ideas for names for statuses and amount of posts it takes to reach each one? This could be fun.

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 07:47:30 PM »
I always thought that ranks like "tsar" at the top and maybe "princess" at the bottom would be fun. And of course, you have things like grand duchess and tsarina in between. But it really wouldn't work, because I doubt many men would find it funny to be a "princess."

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 08:00:29 PM »
I think the board is being run by a new program, and it only counts its post for your rank.
That's what FA said right after the upgrade, but the new software hasn't actually been counting ANY posts for a few weeks now. I don't know why.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 08:28:22 PM »
Saruska wrote:
That's what FA said right after the upgrade, but the new software hasn't actually been counting ANY posts for a few weeks now. I don't know why.

Oh I know how to fix that! It's a pain though! You have to go to 'modify board' for each board, and there's this place where it says 'each post increases post count by ' and there's an empty box. If you leave it blank, no one will get any more posts. You have to put a 1 in the box and press save changes- and you have to do it for every one of the forums, which is very tedious as many as there are here. I'd be glad to do it if I could have tempoarary mod powers. I am a mod on 3 other forums and I'm very good at the admin controls.

I like your ideas for statuses, clockwork girl!

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Art in Avatar done by Lisa!
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 11:41:30 AM »
Can I be honest?
With the lack of post count recently I've noticed the pleasure of discounting a person's post count altogether. I don't need numbers to tell me who the best contributors are, because I notice them by their username. Besides which, many members just post spam like messages to increase their post count anyways.

I personally vote for no post count at all (i.e. take the numbers away all together)

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 12:09:22 PM »
I've never seen anyone here spam to up their post counts. It's good to have them to show who posts a lot and who doesn't, who's new and who's a veteran. It's just something boards have.

Offline Jim_Wilhelm

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 12:26:21 PM »
I've never seen anyone here spam to up their post counts. It's good to have them to show who posts a lot and who doesn't, who's new and who's a veteran. It's just something boards have.
Maybe "spam" isn't the right word. It's like Robert Hall said. People add to their post counts with remarks like ..."ooooh, cool!, and..."right on!, etc. That kind of stuff shouldn't be an indicator of who the "heavies" are here. But that stuff either counts or it doesn't. I like it that it doesn't. I agree with Laura. Please, no more "God Members" or other nonsense. No more post counts, please! Let's level the playing field.

Respectfully,

Jim Wilhelm
Albuquerque, NM USA
Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get out

--Murphy's Corollary

Offline nerdycool

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 12:31:45 PM »
I've seen people not necessarily spam to up their post counts, but they do have their tricks... like posting a picture in one post and then the caption in another.

Anyway, I was kind of shocked to find myself a newbie again also. But I figured it had something to do with the changeover. And when I think about it, it's really not that important. I know who the regulars are (or used to be anyway - haven't been on here for a while).

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 12:39:43 PM »
Well, I think it is good not to have post count. Sure it shows who is active more than others, but as well it encourages people to post to up their post count.That results in sometimes silly or repititive or uneccesary posts, which doesn't benefit people. Not that everybody who wants post count back ever did that. I like it without post count. I always posted out of relevance, not to increase my post count, but even I liked it when I got 500 and was a God sometime late last year. ;)

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 01:12:41 PM »
If anyone doesn't want their post count, by all means don't burden them with it but please don't put  that point of view off on the rest of us. It's perfectly normal to have post counts, and they should be restored (except to those who don't want them) This can be easily fixed (explained in earlier post in this thread)

I guess I go to the wrong forums, I have never seen anyone boosting post counts around here, not even annoying people. There's no reason to since there aren't any 'cool' statuses to reach like there are on other boards. On music and movie sites, I have seen a LOT of stuffing to make status. I am sorry to say I know a woman of 65 who will do the most childish things, like posting a silly comment at the end of every single thread, just to make status. I do think that's pathetic, but again, it shouldn't punish everyone.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 01:15:53 PM by Annie »

Offline Tania+

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 01:52:43 PM »
What BobA thinks is important for members, I agree to, period; that's who is important, and whose site counts most !
Thanks also Imperial Angel.  ;)

Tatiana+
TatianaA

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 02:58:50 PM »
Maybe "spam" isn't the right word. It's like Robert Hall said. People add to their post counts with remarks like ..."ooooh, cool!, and..."right on!, etc. That kind of stuff shouldn't be an indicator of who the "heavies" are here. But that stuff either counts or it doesn't. I like it that it doesn't. I agree with Laura. Please, no more "God Members" or other nonsense. No more post counts, please! Let's level the playing field.

Respectfully,

Jim Wilhelm
Albuquerque, NM USA

I don't mind having no post count any more, and I do agree that some members posted just to up their count - the more obvious ones with the 'oh cool' posts you've mentioned, and those who think they're more subtle by merely repeating what another poster has said, albeit with different wording, or repeating themself.  :P
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."