Author Topic: Forum Preferences #2  (Read 22972 times)

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
Re: Forum Preferences #2
« Reply #120 on: February 13, 2010, 01:15:30 AM »

I know that it's a lot of work, but is there any chance of another spring cleaning in our near future?

The cleaning is going on, it's just not that global as it was last spring ; )

Offline Margot

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2010, 01:32:29 AM »
Well there are no end of  'Chars in waiting' to help should they be required or wanted! I have already started leaning on one particular long standing member to tidy up their act....but then I may be told off for acting without a mandate! Never mind! Ho hum.... I guess we will just have to sit on this one and see what if anything actually happens! Remembering as I do that this a forum for the majority to enjoy! By the way, what is inferred by 'global' in reference to spring cleaning?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 01:48:41 AM by Margot »

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2010, 09:24:25 AM »
global means "the whole forum" in this instance. Last year we undertook to really clean up as much of the whole forum as possible.

Offline EmmyLee

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2010, 03:57:22 PM »
So this year you're just targeting certain areas? In any case, we definitely appreciate the work you go through to clean it up. It's definitely refreshing!

By the way, I use the "Show new replies to your posts" to keep up to date on any replies since I posted in a thread, however, quite a few of the ones that keep cropping up are threads I'm just not interested in following anymore. Is there a way to get them to stop showing up there? If not, that's totally fine since it's easy enough to just mark them "read." :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 04:00:35 PM by EmmyLee »

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2010, 06:45:47 PM »
By the way, I use the "Show new replies to your posts" to keep up to date on any replies since I posted in a thread, however, quite a few of the ones that keep cropping up are threads I'm just not interested in following anymore. Is there a way to get them to stop showing up there? If not, that's totally fine since it's easy enough to just mark them "read." :)

The only way I can think of is to delete all your posts from the threads you're no longer following -- which can only be done by a moderator. So while it's technically possible, it's not something we can implement.

So this year you're just targeting certain areas?

Not necessarily. It's just that after last spring's extensive cleanup, there's less need for the same kind of fervor. It's more a matter of keeping ahead of the clutter now.

As for myself, I'm still targeting the OTMAA threads. I reduced them by quite a bit last year, but some family health issues interfered before I got things arranged to my satisfaction. I prune here and there as time allows.

One thing that would help reduce clutter:
When someone posts a watermarked photo, please make requests for unmarked copies via PM instead of in the public forum.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline EmmyLee

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2010, 11:59:39 AM »
Thanks Sarushka. I'd just been wondering if there was something I could do about it, but I have no intention of bogging down the moderators with the task of deleting those posts. :)

And I understand what you mean about there being "less need for the same kind of fervor." And you have very good advice about reducing the clutter. I'll remember that.

Alixz

« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2010, 08:50:53 AM »
If you don't want to receive emails that let you know about new postings in threads that you no longer are interested in, simply don't open them to read them.  You will not be sent another notice until you decide to open the thread again and to read or respond.

Also, you can go to your profile and remove the request to be notified or you can go to the thread and use the button at the bottom which says "notify me of replies" and when it asks you if you want to cancel notification say yes.

As to show new replies to your posts, I doubt that FA would want us to remove your posts as he likes to keep everything except the "junk" (thank yous etc) so I would not imagine that he would want us to remove all of your posts from a thread just to stop you from receiving notifications of other's replies.

I rarely use the "show new replies to your posts".  I just let the emails come and if I don't want to follow a thread I just don't open the email.

As a mod, I need to post in a lot of threads that I am not interested in just to make corrections, add info, or ask for civility.  I know that I don't want to see the replies to my posts so the easiest thing to do is not to go back to that thread until I have to, or if I have to.

Another thing you can do is to clear out the whole "new posts" section by clicking on "mark as read".  It will clear out one whole page at a time and eventually all of the pages will be gone.  I don't know what will happen after that, but it might stop some things from coming through.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 09:02:55 AM by Alixz »

Naslednik Norvezhskiy

« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2010, 01:17:03 AM »
Just returning from my new job for Mardi Gras, day of extravagant self-indulgence:
Folks, if you don't get the fascination with the Table of Ranks, go read Gogol's short stories (like "The Nose"). It's manifest!