Author Topic: Forum Preferences #2  (Read 22971 times)

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Re: Why am I a newbie again? What happened to my posts?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2006, 03:28:46 PM »
Here's the part when I expose my shallow side to the world...

I DO miss the post counts. I miss them more than I expected to, as a matter of fact.  I'm well aware that some people with massive counts managed to say a whole lot of nothing, while others with low counts contributed something informative with every word, but shoot -- it's still an interesting gauge. Rather than dismiss the counts completely, I'd be in favor of selective post counts, as was the case when the changeover to the new software began. The counts were disabled in threads like Discussion, Having Fun, and Survivors, but reinstated in the more academic threads.

What I REALLY miss is the "Palace Member" status from back in the old days -- I mean waaay back, when it was a mark of honor to denote folks who had made siginificant contributions to the site, not just an indication of who was able to get into the Discussion forums. Whatever happened to that?  ???

One more concern: it appears that the discussion forum is now public. I don't exactly have a problem with that, but seeing as these are the boards where we tend to share a little more personal information, it would have been nice to have been informed when the board went public, so I could be fully aware of who's looking at what I choose to share here (no offense, newbies!).  :-\
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 03:39:01 PM by Sarushka »
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 04:01:08 PM »
I like knowing how many posts I have. I call to my dad, "Hey, dad, your favorite daughter is now up at 2000 posts on the Romanov boards!" "Get a life!" It's just mind boggling how I have actually posted over a thousand messages! Way too much time on my hands!  :P But the statuses are kind of silly. That's why I think they should be fun, like "tsar." Some people hardly post at all, but when they do, lots of information! And as others have said, some people post all the time and don't really contribute.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2006, 04:26:04 PM »
Tania: Bob and FA did not take the post counts away, it was a mistake, a glitch in the switchover. It can be fixed if anyone has the time.

Saruska: that's another point, if we don't recognize the name, you might not know if you are talking to a newbie with only one post who may be a troll or an alter. Also as she said, no offense to real newbies, but this happens. It's good to see someone is an established member with a history here. We really need not only the post count, but the registered date.

and I still haven't seen any post stuffing behavior here, anywhere. And I do know it when I see it, I've seen it on many other sites.

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Art in Avatar done by Lisa!
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 07:57:20 PM »
and I still haven't seen any post stuffing behavior here, anywhere. And I do know it when I see it, I've seen it on many other sites.
Believe me, it's here.

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2006, 09:24:28 PM »
I agree with Laura  :-\

I also kinda agree with Sarushka. These forums used to be more private, and a lot of us posted photos of ourselves. I'm more comfortable now with those pictures being out because they're pretty old, but still...

(what a fluffy post)

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2006, 05:54:28 AM »
If you don't want your pic here anymore, go back to the host site you uploaded it to and delete it. That will break the link and make it go red x wherever it was posted.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006, 08:47:16 AM »
Guys, look. The forum has WAY outgrown the "good old days" when we only had a small core group of regulars. At any time of day or night, regardless of your time zone, there are between 30 and 90 people in here 24/7! There are over 3000 registered users.  I have enough trouble going thru the fifteen or twenty applications for users for approval.  Each one has to have their IP and email verified.  Frankly some 90% these days are spammers or unsuitable. Not to mention the new error logs, and reviewing the 100-200 new postings a day...I just don't have time to "vet" new "Palace Members".

Besides, why are "newbies" second class citizens? I think each of you should welcome these people warmly and accept them, until you are given reason NOT to.

Fair comment about the Discussion Forum section being able to be read by guests. I will look at making it invisible again to non registered users.  I agree that it is nice to have that one section only for users.

As for your post count, I have to go back to each single thread to toggle it active to post counts, not just whole catagories but EACH thread, I just haven't had the time. For me, post count doesn't mean all that much.  So many members drivel on with dozens of nothing but  "ohh lovely" "gee thanks" "soooo cute"...while others lurk mostly but when the DO post, it is inteligent, insightful and a valuable contribution.

My 2 cents. Your thoughts are most welcome.
Rob

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2006, 09:45:45 AM »
Ok,

The Discussion Forum is now available only to registered users logged in. As for post counts, I will toggle on ONLY the History related boards. Be patient as this will take me some time.

Discussion forum, Forum announcements, Having fun will not count to posts.  I think this is fair since this IS a history related board.

FA

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2006, 09:53:57 AM »
Much appreciated FA.  :) Seems like the best compromise to me.
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Alixz

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2006, 09:54:16 AM »
I am not sure I care about the post count.  It simply means that some members (like Clock said) have too much time on their hands.

I would, however, like to be recognized for the length of time I have managed to stay a member and not break rules or get evicted for stupidity.  I also like to think that it would be nice to be recognized for content, but then I would probably be a "scullary maid".

So the status indicators were fun to have.  I truly enjoyed being a Palace Member or a Senior Member.  Although I have been on long enough now to know a lot of the heavy hitters, and I know that I am not one of them.  But with research and reading about things here, I shall most likely become one.  How couldn't we,with so many fine authors and editors and publishers sharing their knowledge and insights with all of us. (And for free, too!)

And by the way, FA, I still can't get notified of posted replies no matter how many check marks I put everywhere.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 09:56:25 AM by Alixz »

Offline Jim_Wilhelm

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2006, 09:58:37 AM »
Besides, why are "newbies" second class citizens? I think each of you should welcome these people warmly and accept them, until you are given reason NOT to.

My 2 cents. Your thoughts are most welcome.
Rob

All:

Rob is right of course. Rob, I think the word "Newbie" up there in the upper left-hand corner with the one gold star is responsible for much of the the consternation on the part of the members. Why not just make that "newbie" sign go away? If you're a FA, fine, show that. If you're a guest, fine, show that. If you're a member, fine. I'd suggest just making that "Newbie" sign go away (along with the "God" sign and all the other signs and stars).  The only stars and status symbols would be for the mods and the FA's. That "Newbie" sign is what's bugging folks. It's like a "thorn in the side". Just get rid of it and this will all die down.

Sincerely,

Jim Wilhelm
Albuquerque, NM USA
Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get out

--Murphy's Corollary

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2006, 11:51:37 AM »
That's a good compromise, FA, though it would be great to get counted for all posts I can see how those other forums might be the ones responsible for the post stuffing. Also I know how long it takes to modify each and every board, and there are a lot here!

Even FA has 'newbie' status under the FA status ??? What about making different statuses and member groups?

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2006, 03:54:25 PM »
Once again, the "newbie" status reverted for everyone because the new software started counting from zero for everyone. There was no way to transfer the old post counts over. So, in essence even I haven't posted enough to crawl back out of newbie. Nothing I can do except as Jim suggested just remove the word, if that is what people would prefer.

marina

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2006, 04:19:30 PM »
Stars and status are back. The names are quite funny! I like it even if, seriously, I don't care about number of posts and status.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2006, 04:33:33 PM »
Yes, I figured out a way to make this work.

So, once you pass 100 posts you become "Boyar", 250 is Graf, 500 is Knyaz, 1000 is Velikye Knyaz

Boyar was minor nobility like Count, Graf is like Prince, Knyaz is Duke, Velikye Knyaz is Grand Duke.

YES, I KNOW, before all you mavens of Russian Nobility jump my case, that genuine rank of nobility was based on being one of the original Noble families, or what level of Chin the later noble families had, or what level of nobility was granted under Peter the Great's Table of Ranks. So Graf, Knyaz, Boyar etc could all have different levels of Chin. (like the Golitsyn family actually had a more noble Chin than the Romanovs did before being elected to rule) I had to keep this simple....