Author Topic: Royals That You Feel Sorry For  (Read 36604 times)

Offline Taren

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • The Chick Manifesto
Royals That You Feel Sorry For
« on: September 11, 2006, 01:42:24 PM »
I thought it would be interesting, while we are discussing those we like and dislike, to also discuss those royals that we pity or feel sorry for. I know that when I was thinking of royals to include on the other lists there were some I could neither like or dislike. Instead, I just kind of felt sorry for them.

-Almost anyone who ever knew Henry VIII. His wives, children, etc. Though they are different religions and personalities and ages, there is one unifying factor: that man pretty much treated them all terribly. The argument could be made that he was nice to Jane Seymour, but I think that if there had been time he would have turned on her as well.

-Moretta: She was not allowed to marry Sandro, whom she loved. She wanted marriage and babies, but only got one: marriage. Then she died broke because her second husband stole her money.

-Louis Battenberg. I both respect and feel sorry for him. He accomplished many things, but was forced to resign from the navy because of his German heritage. He had to give up the career he loved, but also his name and title.

-Empress Alexandra. Position conscious, but just didn't have the right personality for the job. I can totally relate to the fact that people mistook her shyness for arrogrance and aloofness. She really only had one job to do, but everyone gossiped about the fact that she hadn't produced an heir. And then when she finally did he was sick and had to be constantly watched and protected.

-Lady Jane Grey. The ill-fated pawn of her ambitious father and father-in-law.

I know I'll think of more later!

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
Re: Royals That You Feel Sorry For
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 02:12:20 PM »
I've always felt a great sadness for Queen Anne, all those dead babies, poor lady.
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 02:16:05 PM »
Oddly enough, I feel more sorry for Mary II than her sister Anne - she sadly was never a mother, and I find her a more attractive character compared to Anne.

I've always had a soft spot for Mary I, really hard done by then and today, IMO.

The three Wales girls (Louise, Toria and Maud) because they lived in the shadow of such a spectacular mother!

I'll probably think of more later.
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline Aliss_Kande

• Graf
  • Viktoria Luise
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 02:19:54 PM »
I'd agree with you on Henry VIII's kids, especially Edward and Mary.  Mary's life was basically ruined because of her parent's divorce and Edward was always under someone else's control.  Elizabeth got to be queen and pretty much got everything she wanted after that.

I also feel sorry for:

Queens Mary II and Anne.  Both had to deal with their father going after a younger woman and them being overthrown.

Queen Victoria as a child.  Her mother placed her own ambitions over her daughter.

Vicky, because she was groomed her whole life to rule and never really had the chance.

Princesses Marie Louise and Helena Victoria.  They were robbed of what women of their day were supposed to have: a loving husband and children.

Princess Elisabeth of Hesse (1895-1903).  Her parent's divorce had such an effect on her.

Prince Leopold, QV's youngest son.  Being a hemopheliac, he was denied the right to live as his other siblings did.  He didn't even get to see the birth of his son.

Archduchess Gisela and Crown Prince Rudolf of Austria.  They were virtually ignored by their parents.

Archduchess Elisabeth (Erszi).  She grew up with the stigma of knowing her father commited suicide.

Grand Duchess Olga of Russia.  She knew that, even if she and her family were released, she was "too old" for marriage and would most likely be doomed to spinsterhood.

I can't think of anymore right now.

Offline emeraldeyes

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 02:21:37 PM »
I feel that Prince Charles got a bad rap about that 'defender of faith' business a few years back. 
An intelligent Hell would be better than a stupid paradise.  - Victor Hugo

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 02:29:56 PM »
I am currently reading "Georgian Princesses" by Flora Fraser :). About the six daughters of George III. I feel sorry for them, either not being able to marry who they wanted to..or marrying later in life...not having children...and having to spend so many of the years with Queen Charlotte which couldn´t have been easy!

And of course I feel sorry for Vicky, who being so good suffered so much. When she was ill she asked it to be kept quite as she didn´t want people "Rejoicing over my misfortune" that´s awful and couldn´t have been nice for her.   :'(
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 02:32:32 PM »

Queens Mary II and Anne.  Both had to deal with their father going after a younger woman and them being overthrown.

If I could just say a word about this - their stepmother, Mary Beatrice, was indeed much younger than their father, but she always tried to be kind to them. Not that Anne was grateful.  :P

Oh, I forgot Vicky, and George's daughters! I especially feel for the youngest, Amelia!  :-\
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 03:08:01 PM »
(In no particular order)

Queen Adelaide, who was such a gentle & kind woman who had to suffer the loss of her children and watch a niece (who she loved but wasn't able to spend much time with) ascend to the throne in the place of her own dead daughters

Emperor Frederick III, who had so much to give to Germany and was scorned and sidelined for 30 years, only to die (after years of pain and suffering) of cancer mere weeks after finally becoming Emperor

Vicky, who was also sidelined and scorned, who endured the death of 2 much-loved sons as well as the lingering illness and death of her beloved husband, who saw so much that she could've done and yet was without of reach, who suffered at the hands of her 2 eldest children and finally would die of the same painful illness that claimed her husband

Moretta, who only wanted to love and be loved but lost her true love and endured a humiliating 2nd marriage to a man who would break her heart

Mavra, who would see her family all but decimated from 1914-1918--a son and son-in-law in WW1; the loss of her husband at an early age; 3 sons and a brother-in-law would die violently at the hands of the Bolsheviks

Beatrice, who had her youthful exuberance stifled by the oppressive mourning of her mother; who would defy her mother for once in her life to marry the man she loved, only to lose him after 10 years, leaving her with 4 young children, one of whom was a hemophiliac and whom she would outlived, along with her youngest son who would die in WW1; she also had to witness the toll hemophilia would take on the life of her only daughter

Marie Feodorovna, who lost her beloved fiance (Nixa) and her adored husband at an early age and had to witness the unfolding tragedy of her family, helpless to do much about it; who would lose all 4 of her sons to either illness (Alexander & George) or violence (Nicholas and Misha) as well as 6 of her grandchildren (including Misha's only child) and having the great distress of the various claimaints to her grandchildren's identity before dying in Denmark and being buried far from her Sasha

Ena, who passed on hemophilia to 2 of her sons (who would both die young) and had another son disabled by an illness; who was so in love with her husband, only to have what should've been the happiest day shattered by a bomb blast, and her husband blame her for their children's illness and grow increasingly cold to her; who was left very isolated and lonely in her early years, then separated from her homeland & family by WW1

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 04:12:36 PM »
I feel that Prince Charles got a bad rap about that 'defender of faith' business a few years back. 

Emeraldeyes?  What was the "bad rap" he received about "Defender of the Faith", please.  I didn't hear that one!

Rebecca

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 05:51:35 PM »
Louise, queen of Sweden (married to Karl XV), one of the most humiliated queens in Sweden's history.

Marie-Amélie, queen of Portugal. She was in the same wagon as her husband and son when they were assassinated, and she also outlived her only other son.

Marie Henriette, queen of Belgium, married to the monster Léopold II.

Olga Alexandrovna, grand duchess of Russia, because of how her mother treated her.

Louis Bonaparte, forced into so many things by his brother.

Caroline Mathilde, queen of Denmark. Poor woman.  :'(

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 09:16:45 PM »
Oddly enough, I feel more sorry for Mary II than her sister Anne - she sadly was never a mother, and I find her a more attractive character compared to Anne.

I've always had a soft spot for Mary I, really hard done by then and today, IMO.

The three Wales girls (Louise, Toria and Maud) because they lived in the shadow of such a spectacular mother!

I'll probably think of more later.

Well Mary II was a mother, but not for long. She had 3 babies that died at birth.
His Royal Highness Prince Albert Victor Christian Edward of Wales, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, Earl of Athlone, Knight of The Most Noble Order of the Garter, Knight of The Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick

Offline Taren

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • The Chick Manifesto
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 09:24:53 PM »

Emeraldeyes?  What was the "bad rap" he received about "Defender of the Faith", please.  I didn't hear that one!

Didn't he say that he thought it should be "Defender of all Faiths" or something in order to be more politcally correct and encompass all the people of all the faiths he will one day be the sovereign of? No matter what Charles does people complain. It's the same way with politicians and other royals and even Hollywood celebrities. When you're in the public eye it's impossible to please everyone.

Wow, these are some amazing lists. A lot of these people I had never even thought of.

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 09:28:03 PM »
I have many royals that I feel sorry for,

the ones that immediately spring to mind

Eddy - dying so quickly from influenza, having such a besmiched reputation and being lied about so much by so many people. Not becoming the King he was born to be. And not being appreciated in history very much at all, for the kind, gentle, loving, good natured and very handsome man he was.

Toria - Eddy's sister. Not being able to break away and have a life of her own.

Queen Adelaide - for the same reasons that Grandduchess Ella wrote above.

on that other topic - I think Charles should just be proclaimed to be defender of his OWN faith - the Church of England. The other faiths have their own defenders.
Queen Anne and Queen Mary II - for all their babies dying especially.

Vicky - for the same reasons posted by others

Leopold - for the same reasons posted by others

Louise of Wessex - for often not being referred to as Princess Louise, as she should be by law and tradition!

and many others....

Queen Victoria - for losing her beloved Albert so early
His Royal Highness Prince Albert Victor Christian Edward of Wales, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, Earl of Athlone, Knight of The Most Noble Order of the Garter, Knight of The Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick

Offline emeraldeyes

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2006, 09:37:42 PM »

Taren is right - he had said in an interview a few years ago that he should be 'defender of faith' rather than 'defender of the faith'. 
I remember that it caused quite an uproar at the time, many feathers were ruffled, but I think that was an admirable thing to say.  To paraphrase Elvis Costello, "What's so bad about peace, love and understanding?"  I felt badly for him on that one because he was just trying to be a good guy, and it seemed to me to come from a very sincere place.

An intelligent Hell would be better than a stupid paradise.  - Victor Hugo

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2006, 09:48:18 PM »
I agree that maybe Charles said that comment because he was trying to please and he was sincere, but I agree with those that attacked him for it that it is just silly. I mean would he be defender of rastafarianism and scientology as well? It should just stick to what it's been since Henry VIII. Defender of THE faith - which is his own faith - the church of England. As I wrote above, the other faiths have their own defenders. I wouldn't want Charles proclaimed defender of MY faith, because he has nothing to do with it. ;)