Author Topic: A Fatal Passion: The Story of Victoria Melita  (Read 46238 times)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: A Fatal Passion: The Story of Victoria Melita
« Reply #135 on: September 22, 2006, 12:33:16 PM »
Yes...A mistake.  >:(

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 25, 2006, 08:37:39 AM »
Well, both of them were interesting people. Perhaps there are even similarities you could estabilish between them in personality, or temprament. But they were never meant to be married, as it was thought at the time. They both were bound to get on each other's nerves.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2006, 10:54:48 AM »
With hindsight yes...However both of them did make a go at marriage in the begining and was well suited. Yet the easy-going nature of Ernie and the serious and passionate depth of Ducky clashed almost immediately. Ducky had wanted to mold Ernie into her hero, but he wanted to play the clown instead... :(

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 25, 2006, 11:35:31 AM »
Indeed. At the time, some saw their unconventional/ artistic natures as perhaps meaning their marriage woud be successful; as it turned out, it was not so.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 25, 2006, 08:34:12 PM »
Ernie was just not the material that the passionate Ducky can place her dreams on. She admit this in a letter to Missy "I am partly to blame (for the failure of the marriage) as I kept hoping for somethin (in Ernie) that wasn't there." :(

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 26, 2006, 10:39:30 AM »
So it was not just the wishes of the family, and especially their mutual grandmother, Queen Victoria, that started the marriage? That's the most common reason given for their marriage. Ducky was rather young then, and naive, so I can see this. She wasn't sure what she wanted then, although later she became sure, actually very sure.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 26, 2006, 10:55:20 AM »
QV and the others only saw the exterior competability of the couple but not their inner natures. Ducky knew that something was wrong, but cannot tell as she wasn't sure what it was.  ???

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 26, 2006, 11:29:50 AM »
I agree, the people making the match didn't look deeper. Perhaps Ducky's essential nature was hard to see when she was that young. And most royal matches were made on exteriors, that was nothing new, but merely the way it was done. I am not sure what Ducky knew, or didn't know then, it is a mystery.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 26, 2006, 07:01:56 PM »
True, when she saw how miserable Ducky and Ernie were, QV decided to give up match-making altogather.  >:(

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 27, 2006, 08:53:20 AM »
Well, that might have been a good idea, although Queen Victoria certainly meant well. ;)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 27, 2006, 10:44:07 AM »
Yes...But she thought she knew best...but she didn't... :(

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 27, 2006, 11:56:14 AM »
Queen Victoria did know about many things; she was a great ruler, yet this marriage was no match made in heaven. Some of the matches she made were though, were they not? So she had something of a knack. ;)

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 27, 2006, 12:10:00 PM »
I do not know that Victoria was so much a "great ruler"  but perhaps rather a "great survivor". Remember, she did not actually "rule", her governments did. And for long periods, she isolateed herself from  even them. I think that may be where her own poor judgement in matchmaking comes in. She wanted things to work to her satisfaction, not caring about the feelings or desires of those she controled.
Her well-known dislike of VM comes, imo, from jealousy. i.e. VM brought brightness and colour to the black and white court at Windsor. Victoria HATED to be upstaged!
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 27, 2006, 10:47:52 PM »
You mean QV hated her own granddaughter ???

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 28, 2006, 10:59:08 AM »
No, I don't think he meant that.I think their relationship when she was younger was good, with Victoria Melita. I think as she got to be older, Victoria Melita was harder to understand, and put off people. She didn't care or didn't realize it. As for Queen Victoria, she always tried to understand her grand children, even though at times it was hard. Every matchmaker usually makes a mistake, and the marriage of Victoria Melita and Ernest was defintely Queen Victoria's. But Marie Louise of Schleswig-Holstein's marriage to Aribert of Anhalt was more of a disaster, and I don't think Queen Victoria arranged that one.