Author Topic: A Fatal Passion: The Story of Victoria Melita  (Read 43510 times)

Offline Guinastasia

• Boyar
  • Celestial Grand Duchess of Penguins
    • View Profile
Re: A Fatal Passion: The Story of Victoria Melita
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2006, 03:07:34 PM »
Perhaps because Ducky comes off as being rather cold and stuck up.  Missy, on the other hand, may have been conceited as all get out, yet she was always very outgoing, and theatrical, and she really did care about others, and she was extremely generous.

As for Ducky being a beauty-no.  Bach, I'm with you that the book was pretty much a white-wash.  Missy was the beauty in the family, not Ducky.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2006, 08:53:43 PM »
I think Ducky looked better in real life than in photos. (remember how Vicky (Kaiserin Friedrich) praised her looks as oppose to the more photogenic Alix and Ella). I think she was quite tragic by nature (like the Bontes). As a sensative woman, she was pushed into a marriage she did not desire (like Missy). unfortunately Ducky refused to accept and lower her expectattions and instread chose to fight ("the fighting grand duchess"). If that kind of attitude made her being disliked, so be it. As a person, she was not bad at all. I guess Ducky was always artistic and felt misunderstood and under appreciated. The only ones who made provisions for her were Marie Coburg and Missy.  ::)

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2006, 01:47:23 AM »
I think Ducky looked better in real life than in photos. (remember how Vicky (Kaiserin Friedrich) praised her looks as oppose to the more photogenic Alix and Ella). I think she was quite tragic by nature (like the Bontes). As a sensative woman, she was pushed into a marriage she did not desire (like Missy). unfortunately Ducky refused to accept and lower her expectattions and instread chose to fight ("the fighting grand duchess"). If that kind of attitude made her being disliked, so be it. As a person, she was not bad at all. I guess Ducky was always artistic and felt misunderstood and under appreciated. The only ones who made provisions for her were Marie Coburg and Missy.  ::)

finally!!! a post i can totally agree with ...this is exactly what i feel :) :)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2006, 02:40:37 AM »
Glad you agree... ;)

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2006, 09:20:55 PM »
I think the key to understanding Ducky (which I do not) is understanding her mother.  A good indepth Pakula/Massie type bio needs to be written on GD Marie.  Her letters need to be published.  I think then much insight into Duckt will be gained.

TampaBay

I will say it one more time:

I think the key to understanding Ducky (which I do not) is understanding her mother.  A good indepth Pakula/Massie type bio needs to be written on GD Marie.  Her letters need to be published.  I think then much insight into Ducky mayl be gained.

IMO Ducky was her mother's daughter!!!!

TampaBay

"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2006, 09:24:35 PM »
Indeed ! If any publisher wants to published them they shall be done. Those of us who were luvky enough to know what is in the letters would definitely agree.  ;)

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
    • Queen Victoria's Granddaughters
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2006, 12:05:16 PM »
I have been privileged to hear readings of Marie Coburg's letters to Missy ... and they give a completely different impression of Marie than most of us have gotten.  She is a woman with a sense of humor, the ridiculous and lots more compassion than you might think....

I really enjoyed them and the context the reader, a lovely gentleman named John Wimbles, put them in.... and hope that someday they will be published.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2006, 04:25:49 PM »
It was said once on the Forum that Mr Wimbles was working on a bio of GD Marie but I guess that's not happening now? What a shame. Some of the letters quoted in different articles, such as those on Baby Bee, really do show a different side of Marie. Also, I have an article on Jenny Churchill which quotes some from Marie and her tone is warm and friendly, when we picture her being so brusque. I think her letters much just be a treasure. One can only hope that someone, if not Mr Wimbles, might take it on. Perhaps our own Ilana now that her VMH book is just about done?  ;)
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2006, 08:56:18 PM »
I think it will take quite a while for that to happen. Mr. Wimbles has taken over 10 years of his life to work those letters in Romania and researched it (both photos and info). it would not be easy for Ilana to just go and do it. Missy was Mr. Wimbles's favourite as VMH was to Ilana. I think she should have a much derserved rest after such hard work and personal issues. I shall be looking forward to her book...with anticipated pleasure !  ;)

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
    • Queen Victoria's Granddaughters
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2006, 12:52:27 PM »
Thanks, Courtney, but as Eric rightly says, this is John's baby and it would be wonderful to see them!
So long and thanks for all the fish

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2006, 03:42:26 PM »
I didn't mean to take anything away from Mr Wimbles--I thought it had been posted once that he had abandoned the book.  :-\ I have read some of his articles and really enjoy them so I would eagerly await any possible book he would do.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2006, 09:19:07 PM »
Well...He is still looking for a publisher and far from abandoning ship at this point (in fact he still goes periodically to Romania for info...).

Offline Ena

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2006, 07:09:23 PM »
I agree TB! a biography on Marie Coburg would be fascinating, love to learn more about her final years. And I love Vickys comment on how she "loved being No.1"!!! ;D
I so agree with you - and with you TB!  I've said this before, but I am totally fascinated with Marie Coburg.  I read what Wimbles wrote in The Grand Duchesses, but it left me wanting so much more. 

A lot of people don't like her, and I can see why, but I have a lot of understanding and empathy for her situation; warts and all.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2006, 09:55:58 PM »
Indeed ! The more you read about Marie Coburg, the more you want to know more... ;)

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2006, 08:13:35 PM »
It is time to take up a collection of $$$ so GD Ella can research and write a book.  I will donate my services for free!

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.