Author Topic: Russian Journalist Murdered in Moscow  (Read 6888 times)

Offline RichC

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Russian Journalist Murdered in Moscow
« on: October 10, 2006, 09:36:58 PM »
Here is the link:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/09/world/main2073139.shtml

Here is the first few paragraphs of the story:

(CBS/AP) Russia has become a deadly place for journalists who run afoul of government officials or their business and political partners.

Those behind the killings, though, are rarely brought to justice, reinforcing a sense of impunity that may have encouraged the killers of Anna Politkovskaya, a fierce critic of the war in Chechnya.

As the European Union and the U.S. demanded a thorough probe into Saturday's contract-style killing, there was skepticism that the authorities would ever uncover the culprits of the latest in a series of killings of journalists in Russia under President Vladimir Putin, who has been increasingly accused of rolling back post-Soviet freedoms since coming to power in 2000.

Offline Tania+

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Russian Journalist Murdered in Moscow
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 10:35:14 PM »
RichC, wasn't there a well known American-Russian Journalist killed about a year or two years ago in Moscow ? They never found out the murders, but did say that it was also a contract, and probably done by the Russian Mafia.

It is so discouraging to see these murders go free and nothing followed up.

Poor woman offered her best, and to that of truth, and in the end was murdered for speaking the truth. How sad.

Tatiana+
TatianaA

Offline RichC

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 12:09:46 AM »
Yes, Tania, he was the Russian editor of Forbes.  The Russian authorities are not making any serious attempts to catch the killers of these journalists.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 07:35:33 AM »
That's because the Russian authorities may very well be in on these murders...  >:(

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 04:53:44 AM »
Since Vladimir Putin came to power there have been at least a dozen journalists murdered. Regrettably, none have been solved.

Margarita

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 01:57:22 AM »
Dearest Margarita,the number of murders(on journalists/those linked with the media) is over three times higher,42,since VP took over,at least according to a summary I've seen in a dutch newspaper.Highly unlikely indeed all these murders will ever be solved.

Yesterday Anna Politkovkaja's last work was published,a report on torture in Chechnya,with grafic images by the torturers,with the Kremlin denying that anything of the kind happens these days...(where have we heard this before lately...).Apparently it was because of this report(and because of her criticising "the Kremlin")she was murdered.

From Moscow,nothing new.
Je Maintiendrai

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 10:58:53 PM »
Hello Lucien!

Not to diminish the tragic events, according to the U.S. State Department, there were 12 journalists assasinated over the last 6 years, including Forbes editor, the American-Russian, Paul Klebnikov in 2004. This figure was presented on our foreign news channel, SBS.

This latest murder is most certainly connected to Ms Politikovskaya's duties.

All the best,

Margarita

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 10:58:43 AM »
Hello Margarita,

Unfortunately,there has been yet another murder.Anatoly Voronin (55) of Itar-Tass has been found murdered,stabbed to death,at his Moscow appartment today.Allthough police stated they do not believe this murder has anything to do with his job,he was commercial director/manager for Itar-Tass.

I know you were not deminishing the tragic events in your previous post,even 1 would be too much,I think,but something is definetly going very wrong in Russia -and elsewhere- these days.

Warm regards,
Lucien.

Je Maintiendrai

Offline Tania+

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 11:08:44 AM »
Many of those in the Russian Mafia presently, were once in high paying positions in the Kremlin. You can be sure their services are being used, and as well that they want no lose ends, nor continued gossip of past and present issues made available to the public locally or globally. Any journalist getting in the way of this, and anything to do with the interests of the country you can be sure will surely have a very short life span. I am understanding that a very well known ROC priest was savagely killed as well. Nobody is exempt in these cases. For those wishing to share truth, life is short indeed. How sad.

Tatiana+
TatianaA

Offline Elisabeth

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 10:53:45 AM »
There's a very moving tribute to Anna Politkovskaya in the October 14th issue of The Economist. Not many people outside Russia know this, but she was so brave and stalwart in her duties as a journalist that she actually visited Chechnya around 50 times since 1999, when the second Chechen war started. She was famous for trying to help Chechens whose relatives and friends had disappeared into the so-called "filtration" camps controlled by the Russians, where prisoners are beaten, tortured and raped.

There had been many death threats made against her, and even at least one attempted assassination before the one that finally took her life. In 2004 she was poisoned when she attempted to travel to Beslan, where she planned to mediate between Russian authorities and the Chechens who had taken hostage teachers and children in that town's school. She nearly died... It only took the killers another two years to make good their promise.

But has anyone else been following the news out of Russia this past week? Vladimir Putin has scandalized the entire international diplomatic community, and beyond. Visited by Israel's prime minister, he greeted him with warm congratulations: "Hey, Yehud, I hear your president raped ten women. Let him know we all admire him in Russia! He's a real [blank]!"

Words to that effect. Everyone heard what he said, because unbeknownst to him, the mike was already on.

Isn't it time we all admitted that Putin is nothing more than a thug? And that his government, controlled by former KGB-men, is run by nothing more than thugs?

« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 10:56:57 AM by Elisabeth »
... I love my poor earth
because I have seen no other

-- Osip Mandelshtam

Offline RichC

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 12:55:57 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if there is any hope at all for Russia.  It seems sometimes that no matter who happens to be in power over there or what kind of ideology they subscribe (Tsars, Commisars, "presidents"), the country seems to be ruled by a bunch of thugs.  Maybe democracy just isn't suited to everybody?

Offline Tania+

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 01:45:14 PM »
Hi RichC,

Usually most nuts remain in a nut shell, but in Russia, they have burst out of their shells, and are in fact as you state, a bunch of thugs gone wild to do as they wish ! As I said, untill the whole of these type of personalities are rubbed from the political scene in and throughout Russia, Russia will continue to have loss of identity.

Your looking at the long rule of communism, and outcome, the ever present question of most people on the street of a 'who am i really' syndrome. Their identities have been more or less removed. Remember Communism stole most of the populations identifiable personas, and made most, all robotic, and answerable to the government, etc. This kind of brainwashing, and murderous machinations, have produced what you see in today's Russia. It will probably take another two to three generations before people can begin to feel they own themselves, their own thoughts, and fully their own heritage, etc. Russia has a long way to go before she can feel at complete rest and safe from within !

Tatiana+
TatianaA

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 01:04:34 PM »
Anna Politkovkaja was and is a hero to all who value people over political machines and humanity over barbarity.

Putin's remarks, made when he thought he was not being recorded, give us a very clear idea of his value to the good people of Russia, not to mention the world.

I have long said that anyone who rapes or condones rape deserves, at minimum, a red hot poker shoved where the sun don't shine.

Offline Elisabeth

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 05:01:09 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if there is any hope at all for Russia.  It seems sometimes that no matter who happens to be in power over there or what kind of ideology they subscribe (Tsars, Commisars, "presidents"), the country seems to be ruled by a bunch of thugs.  Maybe democracy just isn't suited to everybody?

I also wonder if there is any hope left for Russia. Maybe it's true, as even some Russians say, that the best and the brightest of their nation were either killed off under Lenin and Stalin or else forced to emigrate. I know from my own experience that almost everyone who had a way of getting out of the former Soviet Union in the early 1990s did so, often reluctantly, but in the end, as they explained it, they had to, "for the sake of the children." Even in those early days of hope for a new beginning, Russia's intellectual elite did not set much stock in Russia's future. They did not want to risk their own children's future on what seemed even at the time a huge gamble.

I think there is yet another major problem that Russia faces in trying to become a truly democratic country. It is that even some of their most stellar intellectual and political talents still do not seem to recognize the importance of strong institutions (which needless to say act as a check to the power of the central government) to the civil, legal and political health of the nation. We see this in the muzzling (and even terrorization) of the press, but also in the suspicion with which many Russians still regard a multi-party system of government. Combined with these factors is a frequently expressed regret for the loss of an all-encompassing ideology or at least a compensatory national myth. Russia, we must recall, has always identified itself first and foremost not as a people but as an empire; national identity is all but completely bound up in the lingering notion that Russia must be a super-power in order to count in the larger scheme of things. As many scholars have pointed out, this attitude is a real danger to the West. At present the only real reason that Russia remains a power to be reckoned with is that it has nuclear weapons and vast oil reserves, the latter of which serve to prop up an otherwise faltering economy. The demographic situation in Russia is exceedingly grim. So as Russia declines internally, as at least one internationally renowned demographer has argued, the temptation for Russia's leaders will be to try to maintain their position as a super-power with an increasingly bellicose and anti-Western rhetoric. I think we see this already happening in Russia's recent stances on Iraq, Iran and North Korea. Another scholar I heard on NPR said that Russia's entire foreign policy at the moment consists of opposing and trying to constrain American power, whether or not this policy serves Russia's long-term best interests (which, in the case of Iran, it certainly does not!). 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 05:05:38 PM by Elisabeth »
... I love my poor earth
because I have seen no other

-- Osip Mandelshtam

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
Russian Journalist Murdered in Moscow
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 06:38:29 AM »
It was announced this morning that there have been 10 arrests in the Politkovskaja murder case.
Je Maintiendrai