Author Topic: Current Royal’s Interest in Past Royals  (Read 13465 times)

Leuchtenberg

Re: Current Royal’s Interest in Past Royals
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2006, 09:59:36 AM »
Some other royals who are interested in past royals are Prince Michael of Greece and Queen Margrethe II of Denmark.

Sorry if there´s no the right place to put a question...but this post of Zanthia made me remember that Queen Margrethe could open or not secret files about her "aunt" Minnie. Do you know something about this? If she was interesested in past royals...I suppose she could be more "open-minded" to this historical question... :-\

Perhaps you are wondering about the Zahle files which deal with the Anna Anderson/Anastasia issue?  These papers are in the private Family archive and Queen Margrethe has steadfastly refused to allow anyone see them.

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2006, 12:32:24 PM »
Leuchtenberg - that's quite extraordinary, and begs the question 'WHY'?   It surely can't be because she feels there is something to hide.

tsaria

Leuchtenberg

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2006, 12:49:26 PM »
Leuchtenberg - that's quite extraordinary, and begs the question 'WHY'?   It surely can't be because she feels there is something to hide.

tsaria

I have thought what possible reasons there could be and given what we now know about the remains of the Imperial Family, I can only come up with two conclusions.

The first is that I expect since Zahle made his report to the Danish Royal Family, each monarch has extracted a promise from the heir that the papers remain locked.  The other is that Daisy may simply want the whole matter to die and she is reluctant to release anything that will renew controversy.

I think Peter Kurth was probably the last person to make a major effort to see the file and he was politely, but firmly denied access.  I remember reading somewhere that even one of the Altenburgs (who would of course known the Danish Royals) requested to see the Zahle findings and that was denied as well.

Offline Taren

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • The Chick Manifesto
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2006, 01:51:25 PM »
I read an interview with Prince Andrew from this summer where he says that Sarah will mention various past royals to him and he has no idea who they are. He said that she and the queen apparently discuss them at great detail, but he didn't mention anyone in particular that they would discuss.

I'm not sure now how much Sarah knows about past royals as, according to Sarah Bradford, her (Fergie's) book on Queen Victoria's travels was actually written by the niece of the royal librarian, Oliver Everett.  As I haven't seen the book, I don't know if Sarah credits her or not.

I don't know the extent of Sarah's knowledge and I certainly don't think she's an expert. But apparently her ex-husband knows that she knows more than he does. I just think it's interesting that she and the queen discuss these things. I'd love to know who their favorites/ least favorites are -if any.

Offline Janet

• Boyar
  • There is nothing like a Dame ... of the Thistle
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2006, 02:04:53 PM »
I read an interview with Prince Andrew from this summer where he says that Sarah will mention various past royals to him and he has no idea who they are. He said that she and the queen apparently discuss them at great detail, but he didn't mention anyone in particular that they would discuss.

I'm not sure now how much Sarah knows about past royals as, according to Sarah Bradford, her (Fergie's) book on Queen Victoria's travels was actually written by the niece of the royal librarian, Oliver Everett.  As I haven't seen the book, I don't know if Sarah credits her or not.

I don't know the extent of Sarah's knowledge and I certainly don't think she's an expert. But apparently her ex-husband knows that she knows more than he does. I just think it's interesting that she and the queen discuss these things. I'd love to know who their favorites/ least favorites are -if any.

Here's the quote from the TIME magazine interview.  (Andrew speaking of his mother) "She has a genealogical brain. Sarah [Ferguson, Andrew's former wife] will talk to me about someone and I don't know who she's talking about, but if she talks to my mother, the two of them will know exactly--and across several generations too."

To me, this doesn't indicate that they (Sarah and the Queen) talk a lot to each other, nor that they talked (notice I'm using past tense) about royalty.  When I first read this when it was published, I just assumed that the "someone"'s being discussed were current people and families in the UK.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2006, 06:51:12 AM »
Also,Marie Christine von Reibnitz is also interested in her ancestors,like Catherine Medici and Diane de Poiteres...

Offline Paul

• Boyar
  • born a century too late
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2006, 06:49:17 PM »
I remember Prince Charles, did either a documentry or gave an interview for one on George III a few years ago.

yes, i saw that, it was quite interesting. it was a documentary and he seemed to know a lot about george 3rd (unless he prepared himself especially for that but i doubt it).

Charles has expressed his interest in George III on many occasions thruout the years. George III wouldn't be the worst possible ancestor to research, honestly.
The only real possession you'll ever have is your character.
Tom Wolfe
US author & journalist (1931 - )

Offline ilyala

• Velikye Knyaz
  • il y a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2006, 02:48:43 AM »
obviously not, i don't think he can really be blamed for what went wrong during his reign (unlike charles 1st, for example) and i suppose his tragic ending can be quite appealing.
'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya

Offline Taren

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • The Chick Manifesto
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2006, 04:53:41 AM »
Wasn't George III known as Farmer George? I would assume that Prince Charles feels he has a bit in common with his ancestor in this respect.

I remember reading awhile ago that one or both of the York princesses are interested in the Romanovs, but I'm not sure to what extent, if any, this is true.

I saw a video quite a long time ago of the Queen and princes Andrew and Edward at Christmas when they were really young. She was showing them a photo album and asking them if they knew who various people were. She pointed to a picture of Edward VII and asked if they recognized him. One of the princes said something like "yes, that's your great great great great grandfather". HM corrected him and said there was only one great in there.

Offline ilyala

• Velikye Knyaz
  • il y a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2006, 06:52:22 AM »
Wasn't George III known as Farmer George? I would assume that Prince Charles feels he has a bit in common with his ancestor in this respect.

indeed he was, he used to visit farmers and was less interested in nobility rather than the middle class. his habits were quite middle class also
'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya

Offline Alix of Wales had Panache

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2007, 08:44:08 AM »
Prince Michael of Kent is interested in the Romanovs.  He was one of the commentators on A&E's Biography Episode of Nicholas & Alexandra--own the VHS--Yeehooo. ;D