Author Topic: Re: Hohenzollern - German Imperial Yacht 1892  (Read 25095 times)

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
Re: Hohenzollern - German Imperial Yacht 1892
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2007, 02:59:36 PM »
The Russians have had Imperial Yachts since Peter the Great. Polar Star  and Standart were just the last 2.
 And Britannia- well, it had reached the end of it's usefullness.  Amost 44 years of service and it was time to retire her.  She is now a tourist and "event" venue in Edinburgh. Most ocean liners do not do service that long. I fail to see any loss of prestige in her de-commissioning.  There was more whoop-de-doo when the QM2 entered San Francisco Bay than when the Britannia did.  I also saw her on her last voyage up the Thames.  Decidely lack of interest, except for tourists. No one seems interested in building a new royal yacht, although the idea as been floated- and sank.  The expense simple cannot be justifiesd and even the royals themselves are not interested.
 Now, The Hohenzollern- that was  a class act, imo.  Even though it was  an ego fullfillment for the Kaiser.  He also built racing yachts.
 The Hohenzollern we know was not the first German Royal yacht though. The Grille [1857], later used by Hitler and Doenitz  The Lorelei , The Kaiseradler [1875]

Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2007, 08:32:25 PM »
yes Wilhelm II - der Reise Kaiser!!

Offline Kurt Steiner

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2007, 06:23:00 AM »
The Hohenzollern we know was not the first German Royal yacht though. The Grille [1857], later used by Hitler and Doenitz  The Lorelei , The Kaiseradler [1875]

Perhaps Wilhelm didn't like the Grille too much, as it had been built in a French yard at Le Havre ;). I think it was scrapped in the 1902s, IIRC.

The Kaiseradler in 1895

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2007, 09:30:58 AM »
In 1857 there was no Germany.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2007, 09:42:31 AM »
The original Grille was scrapped in 1920 according to Royal Yachts of the World [Tim Madge]  A second one was  the one used by Hitler.
 Dmitri, I think German royal yachts prior to  the unification of Germany is just a generic term.  If you insist on being pedantic- then Prussian royal yachts?
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Kurt Steiner

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2007, 06:13:20 AM »
The original Grille was scrapped in 1920 according to Royal Yachts of the World [Tim Madge]  A second one was  the one used by Hitler.

Thank you very much Robert for the information!

I've found the following to the second Grille

The original Admiralty "Grille" was the vessel of the King of Prussia, thus post unification it became the Imperial Yacht. In 1889 it became a training vessel of the German admirals staff. IN WW1 it became a tender and in 1920 was struck off.

The second Grille was a bigger vessel of 3,420 tons and capable of 26 knots. She was an Aviso class/fleet tender. In a repetition of the history of the first Grille, she was designed to suit many roles. Grille was commissioned on May 20, 1935. She became a floating fleet staff headquarters, training ship and target ship in the development of German aerial torpedoes. She was well armed with three 5-inch guns later changed to three four-inch guns in 1939.
During the war she was fitted with four 37mm AA guns in twin mounts as well as four 20mm light AA guns. When war broke out she became a minelayer, the Kriegsmarine had not invested in that type of specialized warship, Grille carried between 120 to 228 mines.

Early in 1940 Grille collided with and sank the merchant steamer Axel. As a result of damage she was under repair from February to May 1940. She then operated with the light cruiser Koln and several destroyers to lay mines in the North Sea. In the summer of 1940 she was transferred to Ostend on the Dutch coast and planned to lay defensive minefields to protect the anticipated invasion of England.
When the invasion was cancelled, she sailed north. In the invasion of Russia, Grille engaged in mine laying operations off of Finland in August 1941.

From March to August 1942 she was out of active service. In autumn 1942 the German Navy sent Grille to Narvik to serve as headquarters for the naval staff and then for the flagship for the U-Boat commander in Norway, FdU-Nord in spring 1944. She was moved from Narvik to Ankenes later in the summer.

When Germany surrendered in May 1945 the British took over Grille. The following year she was sold to a private firm and became a Mediterranean cruise ship. Her service in this capacity did not last long however, for in March 1947 she was involved in another collision, this time in Beirut, Lebanon. The Grille was seriously damaged and the hulk was sold to an American firm in 1948. Grille was broken up in 1951.

I did not know it had seen any use after WW2 because at one time I read it was decommissioned in the UK post war. I will try and find the reference I had! I found a reference to Beirut in an archive about troop movements post war regarding the Brit.Empire and it was mentioned the Grille the Former German Navy Yacht was there on 30th August 1948. Enquiries at the time by British crew on another vessel could not determine her owner or future, but she was still named Grille at that time. Since she was stuck there after a collision in March 1947 I don't understand why there is this reference to a name change?

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?p=1104373&