The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
October 21, 2014, 02:28:53 PM
462519 Posts in 8972 Topics by 14519 Members
Latest Member: PGNUCLA
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty
| |-+  French Royals (Moderators: grandduchessella, Prince_Lieven, BobAtchison, Forum Admin, Svetabel)
| | |-+  Children and the French Revolution
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author
Topic: Children and the French Revolution  (Read 17354 times)
« on: October 22, 2006, 06:19:13 PM »
azrael7171918 Offline
Boyar
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 173

View Profile

I am curious if children were actually executedduring the revolution? A number of novels such as "Tale of Two Cities" and the "Scarlet Pimpernel" make reference to small children even being executed.

I find this hard to believe that a public that cold and insensitive would accept the death of a child say 5 years old or even 10.

Azrael
Reply #1
« on: October 23, 2006, 03:56:07 AM »
ilyala Offline
Velikye Knyaz
il y a Posts: 2071

View Profile

i know nothing of any such executions but bare in mind that killing a child's parents wile letting the child live was a sure way to make an enemy for 10-20 years later. while cruel, i can understand the decision to kill a child of two aristocrats that had been also killed.

'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya

Reply #2
« on: October 23, 2006, 06:34:06 AM »
Yseult Offline
Velikye Knyaz
I Love YaBB 2! Posts: 1050

View Profile

I am curious if children were actually executedduring the revolution? A number of novels such as "Tale of Two Cities" and the "Scarlet Pimpernel" make reference to small children even being executed.

I find this hard to believe that a public that cold and insensitive would accept the death of a child say 5 years old or even 10.

Azrael

I have not a deep knowledge about this question, I sincerely hope that anyone could provide you more info than I...but I never had found nothing like this. I´m working from memory, but I remember that great ladies as Françoise de Choiseul-Stainville, princess of Monaco since the marriage with the second son of Honoré III, or Madeleine Olivier de Senozan, married to Archambault of Talleyrand-Périgord, were "emigrèes" together with their husbands, but the two returned to France because they were worried about their children. If I´m not wrong, Françoise had two little daughters, and Madeleine two sons and a daughter. So, the two ladies returned to France, they were arrested and they were guillotined. But no one wished to put under arrest the two daughters of Françoise, neither the three children of Madeleine.
Reply #3
« on: November 12, 2006, 06:35:56 PM »
palatine

Azrael

In Legacy of Death: The Remarkable Saga of the Sanson Family, Who Served as Executioners of France for Seven Generations, Barbara Levy reported that 22 people under the age of 18 were guillotined in Paris from July 14, 1789 to October 21, 1796.  Levy also reported that about 20,000 people were executed by guillotine, firing squad, or by drowning in other parts of France during those years, but did not go into detail about their ages.  In Paris in the Terror, Stanley Loomis reported that during the massacre at the prison of Bicetre in September 1792, 33 boys aged between 12 to 14 were murdered.  Loomis also reported that "girls as young as ten" were murdered when the mob subsequently attacked the Salpetriere prison, but he didn't report how many victims there were. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 06:43:13 PM by palatine » Logged
Reply #4
« on: November 13, 2006, 12:54:44 PM »
James1941 Offline
Graf

View Profile

Interesting question. I would also like to ask how many children of both sexes starved to death, died of malnutrition or related diseases during the frequent famines under Louis XV and Louis XVI.
And, what were the ages of the "young" girls who were forced to serve Louis XV in his Parc des Cerfs brothels? And what were the ages of the prostitutes which served in the houses of pleasure set up in the arcades of the gardens of the Palais Royal by the Duc de Orleans?
Reply #5
« on: November 13, 2006, 01:20:08 PM »
Eddie_uk Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Thank you for your post Yseult. Interesting you mention the Princess of Monaco. Apparently at first she claimed to be pregnant in an attempt to avoid the guillotine. When that failed she wrote a last letter saying how she had filthied her mouth by that lie and she cut of her hair to give to her children. Very sad.

Any more information on this interesting Princess?

Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.
Reply #6
« on: November 13, 2006, 01:50:28 PM »
Yseult Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Thank you for your post Yseult. Interesting you mention the Princess of Monaco. Apparently at first she claimed to be pregnant in an attempt to avoid the guillotine. When that failed she wrote a last letter saying how she had filthied her mouth by that lie and she cut of her hair to give to her children. Very sad.

Any more information on this interesting Princess?

She was guillotined when she was just twenty seven years old, and the most sad thing it´s that one day after her death, it happened the Robespierre´s dawnfall. All that I know it´s that she was beautiful, sweet and, of course, a very motherly woman. She adored her two daughters, Honorine and Athenais. A third daughter, named, I think, Delphine, was dead in childhood.
Reply #7
« on: November 14, 2006, 01:24:57 PM »
Eddie_uk Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Thank you. Awfully. awfully sad. I wonder what became of her daughters. I don't suppose they ever receieved her last letter as I believe it was found in the archives?

Any information on Madeleine Senozan?

Thank you Smiley

FREE PALESTINE.
Reply #8
« on: November 14, 2006, 03:17:11 PM »
Yseult Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

About the children of the princess of Monaco, I really have not any more to share...It´s a pity, because she seems a very interesting figure, Eddie.

About Madeleine Senozan...I´m very interesting on this lady, but she seems elusive to me. Maybe here someone could provide us info. All that I know it´s that her full name was Madeleine Henriette Sabine Olivier Senozan de Viribille. She was a daughter of the former marquis of Viribille and she married Archambaud de Talleyrand Périgord, named Archambeau because he was a handsome man although not very clever... Wink He had not the wondreous mind of his brother, the famous Charles Maurice of Talleyrand Wink

Madeleine had two sons and one daughter: Louis, Edmond Alexandre and Melanie. As far as I know, her daughter Melanie married a man of the Noailles family, and she was one of the several ladies-in-waiting of Empress Marie Louise.
Reply #9
« on: November 15, 2006, 06:17:47 AM »
Eddie_uk Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Very interesting Yseult, thanks awfully! Smiley I wonder of either ladies were painted my Madame Vigee Lebrun? After their parents executions it does make you wonder what became of their dear children.  Undecided

FREE PALESTINE.
Reply #10
« on: May 24, 2009, 05:53:58 AM »
Tanzanite Offline

View Profile

Does anyone know what happened to the children who's parents lost thier heads during the French Revolution?  Were they left to fend for themselves???
Reply #11
« on: May 24, 2009, 06:17:13 AM »
Vecchiolarry Offline
Knyaz

View Profile

Hi,

Good question, Tanzanite;  in fact, a very good question....
I, too, would be interested to know the answer to this....

Larry
Reply #12
« on: May 24, 2009, 06:54:56 AM »
Tanzanite Offline

View Profile

I have done endless searches on the internet about this, but so far I've come up with very little info - the only thing I have ever read about them is a single line in D. Cadbury's book The Lost King of France and there she states that they were left to wander the countryside...

It bothers me, being a mom to a three year old the thought of leaving her all alone to fend for herself is terrifying.

Hopefully someone on here will know  Grin
Reply #13
« on: May 26, 2009, 09:31:38 PM »
susana Offline
50 years Romanov obsession. Believe that? Posts: 82

View Profile

Who do you mean by children of the revolution? All of the children or the royals? I'm sure some were killed like their parents, or spirited away and raised by others, or sent away for safety or became emigres or...on and on. Terrible things.

I'm redefining myself at present--any suggestions?
Reply #14
« on: May 27, 2009, 02:05:00 AM »
Mari Offline
Knyaz

View Profile

Yes, there would have been some spirited away but there were too many horrible cruel episodes.... read this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=FUlBAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA220&dq=children+of+the+French+Revolution#PPA216,M1

click on the link which covers Brittany and of course you can imagine this happening throughout the Country. I think you might like to read the entire book and it will answer many of your questions.  Read  page 216
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 02:08:20 AM by Mari » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: