Author Topic: Daughters of Frederik III  (Read 10052 times)

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Daughters of Frederik III
« on: October 28, 2006, 06:49:42 PM »
Hi,I don't know how much of you are interested in this topic but I would like to know much more about the daughters of King Frederik III and Sophia Amalia...They are:Anna Sofia-later Electress of Saxony,Friederika Amalia-later Duchess von Holstein-Gottorp,Wilhelmina Ernestina-later Electress Palatine,Dorothea-died young and Ulrika Eleonora-later Queen of Sweden!I was searching the web and couldn't find anything about them and they were daughters of King Frederik III,sisters of King Christian V and sisters in law of Queen Anne of Great Britain(their brother George married her)...They seem to be forgotten.Anyone who knows something about them?

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
Re: Daughters of Frederik III
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 04:22:16 AM »
Marc, I´m sure that our danes, Kmerov and Zanthia, would provides us a wonderful amount of information about these ladies ;)

They were the daughtes of a very interesting couple. Frederick III was an enigmatic prince, reserved, with a noteworthy self-control, who spoke little and seldom laughed. His wife Sophia Amelia of Brünswick-Lüneburg had a strong, energetic, ambitious and passionate character. She liked hunting and being the centre of great parties, so she had a sumptous court where she played her role. Under the influence of Sophia Amelia, Frederick managed to introduce the absolute monarchy in their reign.

Sophia Amelia was the relentless enemy of Leonora Christina, a half-sister of her husband Frederick. To understand the situation, we must remember that Christian IV had several children, including Frederick, later Frederick III, by his wife Anna Catherine of Brandenburg, but also by his mistress, later wife, Kirsten Munk, who was replaced by another mistress, Vibeke Kruse. Leonora Christina was a captivating girl and she retained the favour of her royal father after the break up with her mother. Later, when she was aged fifteen, Leonora married a man of thirty eight years, count Corfitz Ulfeldt, male son of the Chancellor Jacob Ulfeldt. The marriage failed to ensure the loyalty of the Ulfeldts to the crown, but Leonora remained loyal to her husband even beyon his death. And she payed the price for this kind of loyalty, because she was, for a great number of years, a state prisoner in the infamous Blue Tower.

I suppose that the struggle between Frederick/Sophie Amelia and their relatives Corfitz/Leonora Christina Ulfeldt was a history that your princesses, Marc, lived from childhood.

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 04:12:47 PM »
Princess Ulrikke Eleonore married King Charles XI of Sweden in 1680. In Sweden she is known as Ulrika Eleonora.
Ulrikke Eleonore was highly educated by her ambitious mother, and she became engaged to the Swedish king as early as 1675. The outbreak of the Scanian War between Denmark and Sweden in the same year meant that the wedding was put on hold indefinitely (and there was talk of a marriage between her and the Prince of Orange or Emperor Leopold). Only after the peace agreement in 1679 could the wedding plans be carried out. The marriage was political but the couple's life together was harmonious and they had seven children together, of which three survived into adulthood, among them King Karl XII and Queen Ulrika Eleonora (the Younger).
The marriage between Karl XI and Ulrikke was a very happy one, and he made her regent for their son in case he should die young. The Queen however died before Karl in 1693, who mourned her.
Ulrikkes relationship with her mother in-law, Dowager Queen Hedvig Eleonora (née Holstein-Gottorp) was a different matter, but she had the tact to avoid major confrontations.
Ulrikke Eleonore had no political influence in her new country, where absolute monarchy was introduced the same year as the wedding. She became engaged in charity work for the sick and the poor instead, and became a popular queen to the people.  She was also a talented artist.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 07:14:12 PM »
Thank you for informations and for the portraits Kmerov...do you know anything about her forgotten sisters?And why they were forgotten when they ocupied some really good positions in the royal world?

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 07:15:13 PM »

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 07:17:06 PM »
I found a portrait of her sister Frederike Amalia,Duchess von Holstein-Gottorp...she looked much more like her mother then Ulrike did...

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 03:11:10 AM »
You´re right, Marc.

I´m specially surprised I can not find a portrait of princess Anna Sophie. She was not only the daughter of a king and a queen, she was also the mother of the famous Frederick August of Saxony, king of Poland, named the Strong, the Saxon Hercules or the Iron Hand.

All that I know it´s that Anna Sophia was nineteen when she married Johann Georg III of Saxony. The couple had two children, Johann Georg, later Johann Georg IV of Saxony from 1691 to 1694, and Frederick August. When her husband died on 1691, Anna Sophia moved to Prettin with her sister Wilhelmine Ernestine, also a widow. I wonder about the feelings of Anna Sophia to her sons...Johann Georg made a little noise before his death, that happened when he was aged twenty-six, because he was madly in love with a woman, Magdalene Sybille von Nedidschutz, whom he created countess of Rochlitz. Anna Sophia was alive until 1717, so she witnessed her second son becoming not only prince of Saxony but also king of Poland. And this son had a very complex life, with his wife Christiane Eberhardine of Brandenburg, not crowned queen of Poland because she refused to renounce her protestant faith while her husband converted to catholicism, and a lot of mistresses, including the notorious contess Aurora of Königsmark. Legend says that Augustus fathered around 300 (yes, 300) illegitimate children ;)

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 11:45:48 AM »
Wow,I wonder about the number of his descedants today  :D I was also searching for the picture or any information about Anna Sophia but couldn't find anything,so if you find something,please post...

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 01:01:43 PM »
You are welcome Marc, and thank you for that lovely portrait of Frederikke Amalie.
Frederikke Amalies marriage to Duke Christian Albrecht of Holstein-Gottorp in 1667, was one of those marriages that came after a peace deal between the two Oldenborg branches, who had been fighting each other for years over the duchies. Frederikke Amalie had to leave Gottorp at one point and join her husband in exile.(they later returned as the Duke regained his Duchy) .
The marriage wasn't a happy one, and Christian Albrecht didn't treat her very well. She was caught between her husband and brother, but she was treated with the greatest respect from her brother, King Christian V. She became a widow in 1694 and died in 1704.

Duchess Frederikke Amalie and her husband, Duke Christian Albrecht.

Frederik III, Sophie Amalie, Christian (V), and their three eldest daughters, Frederikke Amalie, Anna Sophie and Vilhelmine Ernestine.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 08:40:08 AM »
Thank you Kmerov for those lovely aand(at least for me rare) images...I have never seen then.I was trying to find portraits f the husbands of those princesses but I just found one small one of Charles Albrecht von Holstein-Gottorp :(

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 08:41:11 AM »

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 08:43:15 AM »
Here it is...I was also wondering about the relationships of all those brothers in law!Were they in alliance,were they enemies?

Offline José

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 01:21:29 PM »
Thank you Kmerov for those lovely aand(at least for me rare) images...I have never seen then.I was trying to find portraits f the husbands of those princesses but I just found one small one of Charles Albrecht von Holstein-Gottorp :(

Do you mean Christian Albrecht ?

Offline José

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 01:23:19 PM »
Can somebody post picture of the other daughter Anna Sophia and her husband Johann George of Saxony ?
Thanks in advance.

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 05:05:57 PM »
Thank you for the picture Marc, and I'm sure he ment Christian Albrecht.
I don't know about the Electors, but Christian Albrecht and Charles XI were allies in the wars against Denmark, which both countries could benefit from. The families also inter married a lot. Charles mother,Dowager Queen Hedwig Eleonora was Christian Albrechts sister, and she detested Denmark. Charles and Ulrikke Eleonoras daughter, Hedvig Sophia married her cousin, Duke Friedrich of Gottorp and became the mother to Duke Karl Friedrich, pretender to the Swedish throne and father of Emperor Peter III of Russia.

Duchess Frederikke Amalie did have some kind of political influence after the death of her husband, and not the least after her son, Friedrich  (1671-1702) married Princess Hedvig Sofia of Sweden in 1698 and spend some time in her country.
Federikke Amalie also visited her sister, Queen Ulrike Eleonora in Stockholm. After her son was killed in battle, Hedvig Sofia became regent, but stayed in Sweden.