Author Topic: Tsarskoe Selo Museum Reserve  (Read 12104 times)

Offline pastpalacelife

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: Tsarskoe Selo Museum Reserve
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2006, 11:45:43 AM »
Has anyone ever had the chance to talk to anyone that works in the palace (Navy side)?   Like perhaps catch a worker from the Baltic Fleet coming out and try and engage them in conversation to ask what that side of the palace looks like?   I'm very curious to know if it has any original objects like the light fixtures, molding, curtains, etc?  Anybody know?  Thanks

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2006, 02:31:17 PM »
I know some members of the naval staff currently occupying the Alexander Palace.   What I can tell you is that they are very aware of the privilege they enjoy working there.   They are conscious of the importance of this building.   One member of staff in particular cares passionately about the Palace.   He knows every nook and cranny.   He collects every piece of information about the Palace and its history on which he can lay his hands.   

We know the state of the ground (1st) floor of the Left Wing.   The Right Wing is inaccessible.   However, unlike the Left Wing, I have been told that most of the architectural features remain, including the fireplaces in the English suite and elsewhere.   The condition of the upper floors is compromised by the treacherous state of the roof which leaks very badly.

The condition of the Parade Halls appears to be much worse than it really is.   The amount of restoration - apart from the floors - is minimal.   Virtually all original architectural features exist.   However, the roof over these halls is in serious danger of collapse.

tsaria   

Offline pastpalacelife

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2006, 06:46:36 PM »
Thanks so much for your reply!  I wonder if the guy you mentioned that is passionate about the palace and researches the history,etc, wonder if he is a member of this board, or maybe he only speaks Russian?  Another question:  how talkative are the museum guides?  Do they give you a standard answer to questions or will they elaborate and have a chat with you?  For instance, I would ask them if they had ever seen inside the right wing.  Would they think I was just being nosey and too pushy?  I have a question about the bridge where Nicholas II is sitting with the guards behind him, do you know where in relation to the palace this is?  Is there more than one bridge with this design?  In the picture, you see him with the ice breaking sticks leaning on the bridge.  Maybe those sticks are in the woods somewhere.  Anyway, thank you for responding, I was feeling ignored.

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2006, 06:51:22 AM »
The gentleman to whom I refer, sadly, only speaks Russian.   I know he would love this Forum, but it is impossible for him to participate - language being one reason.   I don't think the guides would think you 'nosey'.   They are asked this question all the time.   They will not have visited this area themselves.   In the beginning, the reason i I was given was because of the levels of radio-activity.

There are two bridges.   They both still exist and are identical.   They traverse the canal which runs parallel with the Garden Facade.   You will be able to identify them on a map of the Alexander Park.  It is possible to identify the bridge in the photograph by the ground level.   The canal marked the southern limits to which the Family could walk while under house arrest.

tsaria