Author Topic: HMS Marborough  (Read 4808 times)

Offline Grand_Duke_Alexei

• Tsarevich Alexei Rocks!!
    • View Profile
HMS Marborough
« on: October 04, 2004, 08:21:28 PM »
Hey everybody, does anybody have any information on the ship the HMS Marborough?  Now, the ship with the name is a navy battleship and there were six ships with the name before the navy ship.  If anyone knows anything about I would REALLY appreciate it if you post.
Blow a kiss I run through air
Leave the past, find nowhere
Floating forests in the air
Clowns all around you

Alll this black and cruel despair
This is an emergency
Don't you hide your eyes from me
Open them and see me now

Offline Douglas

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Marborough
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 09:56:58 PM »
Hello Duke:

I assume that you are refering to the ship that took the Dowager Empress of Russia to England?  Am I correct?

I suppose that this would qualify as "imperial transportation".  Anyone disagree?

Douglas

Offline Grand_Duke_Alexei

• Tsarevich Alexei Rocks!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 02:38:53 PM »
Yeah Douglas,

That is the ship I am talking about.  I know that the first two ships were not the ones that the Dowager Empress traveled on.  If anybody knows about the other four, could you please post, because I am totally lost about this ship.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Grand_Duke_Alexei »
Blow a kiss I run through air
Leave the past, find nowhere
Floating forests in the air
Clowns all around you

Alll this black and cruel despair
This is an emergency
Don't you hide your eyes from me
Open them and see me now

Offline James1941

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 05:17:31 PM »
Here is some information on HMS Marlborough from Jane's Fighting Ships, 1914:
Of the Iron Duke class;  four ships of that class--Benbow (laid down May, 1912-completed June, 1914):
Emperor of India (May, '12-May, '14): Iron Duke (Jan. '12-Jan. '14) and Marlborough (Jan. '12-Jan. '14).
Built in the Devonport Yard, machinery by Hawthorn, boilers by Yarrow.
She had   10--- 13.5 inch(1400 pdrs)  guns
               12--- 6 inch guns
                 4--- 3 pdr guns
                 4--- 21 inch torpedo tubes (submerged on
                        her broadside)
Her armor was    12 " belt amidships
                            4"  belt on bow
                            4 " belt on stern
                           10" on turrets
                           10"--7" side above belt
She had steam turbine boilers---she used coal and oil
with a designed speed of 21 knots. She could carry a maximum of 2700 tons coal, normal load was 1000 pounds, plus 1,000 tons of oil.
   Normal displacement was   25,000 tons
   Full load                               26, 400 tons
   Length at watereline was   620 feet
   Beam                                   89.5 feet
   Mean daught                       27.5 feet
   Length overall                     620 feet
She had a normal complement of 950 men.
She costs 2,042,800 pounds ($8,171,000)
At the outbreak of war in August, 1914 the Marlborough was second flagship of  the Home Fleet, then became flagship of the 1st Battle Squadron of the Grand Fleet.
She fought in the Battle of Jutland on 31 May 1916 and was torpedoed by the German cruiser Weisbaden. She was hit amidships and had a hole 70ft by 20ft but managed to keep her station at 17 knots and fired over fourteen salvoes in six minutes. 24 hours later as she was detached to begin the journey to a repair dock she was down in the water drawing 39 ft and making only 10 knots. It took two months to repair her and she rejoined the Grand Fleet but saw no further action.
In 1919 she was transfered to the Black Sea operations along with her sisters Iron Duke, Benbow and Emperor of India.
From 1920-22 she was modernized and refitted.
rom 1926 to 1929 she was part of the Atlantic Fleet.
She was sold for scrape in May, 1932 to the Alloa Shipbreaking Co. and arrived at Rosyth for breaking up in 25 June 1932. Her sisters Benbow and Emperor of India were sold and broken up at the same time.
The Iron Duke was transformed into a gunnery training ship as a result of the London Naval Treaty, then served as a depot ship at Scapa Flow from 1939 until 1945. She was sold and broken up in 1945.
Those are the bare facts and don't really tell the story of a great warship and the men who sailed on her.

Offline Phil_tomaselli

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 05:39:50 AM »
A few years ago I worked in the small town of Marlborough, which is in Wiltshire, England.  The town still maintains links with the current ship and has always had links with her predecessors.

The council were proud to show me a small collection of photographs they'd been sent by HMS Marlborough in 1920, of the remnants of the Imperial Family & other refugees on board ship on route from the Crimea to safety.  I assume they still have them.

Phil T