Author Topic: How do you put someone on ignore?  (Read 49758 times)

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
How do you put someone on ignore?
« on: November 11, 2006, 11:13:13 PM »
I have looked but I can't find a feature for this. Can we do it ourselves, or does a mod have to do it? Will putting them on ignore stop both PMs and seeing the posts?

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Art in Avatar done by Lisa!
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
Re: How do you put someone on ignore?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 09:37:36 AM »
Hey Annie!
Here is a quick walkthrough on how to add someone to your "Ignore List". I don't know the technicalities of what "Ignoring" someone entails, however, from the Board FAQ, it says:
"Personal Message Options enables you to set up an ignore list (blacklist) for Personal Messages". So I am assuming it's just for your PM box and not for the AP board itself.

Anyhoo, without further ado here is the tutorial:

First, click on "Profile" at the top:

Then Choose "Personal Message Options" from the options list on the left:

NOTE:Because we are allowed to choose are "Display Name" on this board, there can be a difference from the "Display Name" your used to seeing on the board, and the user's actual "Username". For this reason I highly suggest using the "Find Members" option.

If you choose to go the route of "Find Members" here is what you do next:
Once you click on "Find Members" a little Pop-Up will show up where you can search for which users to put on your "Ignore List"

Type in their "Display name" and then press search:

As noted above, you'll notice some users don't have the same "Username" as they do their "Display Name", but they are still one and the same. For this reason, I highly suggest using the "Find Members" option.

After you have added the user(s) you wish, select "Change Profile" and Viola, you're done.  :)

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 01:08:03 PM »
Thanks. Will the second option also stop me from seeing their posts? Yes I do want to block their posts as well.

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Art in Avatar done by Lisa!
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 03:46:35 PM »
I'm not sure. I don't believe so, but the only way to really check is to "block them" and then check the boards.  :)

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 04:16:03 AM »
I also have someone in mind, who I would like to put on an ignorelist.

Is there a possibility that he can't post me any messages anymore?
La vérité est plus importante que l'amour

Marie Bonaparte (1882-1962)

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 10:44:49 PM »
I figured it out now, but the problem is you can only block their PMs, not their posts. On other forums there is a feature that will blot out a certain person's posts from your view. This is what I need. The person I want to put on ignore isn't going to PM me, because the person has no desire to argue in private as this person's goal is a public show in front of an audience. Is there no way I can block the posts?

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 08:56:09 AM »
No there is not. Sorry.

Offline Binky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 10:11:19 AM »
Wow thats' too bad.  Maybe there is some kind of way to make posts stop when people say somebody did something like give a speech they didn't give but claimed it was true anyways.  A lie filter might be real good for this stuff too.  But that might be hard to do because then some people couldnt' write anything.  Theres this other way people use some times.  don't look at stuff that bugs you.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 03:12:41 PM »
Binky is obviously someone's very rude alias whose pathetic attempts at humor fail miserably. From some posts I've seen, I believe the mods know who it is. This screen name should be deleted, or at least the veteran poster behind it should have the guts to post it under their own name instead of using some pseudo dummy personality  to hide and deliver gutless, cowardly, flatliner unfunny putdowns. If "Binky" is allowed to post, then "Cornholio" should be allowed back. Might as well bring back Caleb G's aliases, too, he's no ruder than this person.

Offline Tsarfan

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Miss the kings, but not the kingdoms
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 04:25:21 PM »
. . . post it under their own name instead of using some pseudo dummy personality  to hide and deliver gutless, cowardly, flatliner unfunny putdowns . . .

Oh, don't take Binky so seriously.  He let quite a few regular posters (the stable ones, for the most part) of all persuasions know who he was at the time he first showed up. 

But you want it straight, Annie?  After lying your head off about Penny Wilson's speech, refusing to cite your authority for the lie when questioned, and then not having the decency to acknowledge the lie or apologize for it, you skulked off the FOTR thread and laid low for a few days.  Then -- with no intervening provocation whatsoever -- you come back on the board in this and another thread taking potshots at Simon because you are apparently furious that you got bested in a legitimate discussion.

I would say "get over it" but, as has been pointed out many times on this board, you are apparently incapable of doing so.

If you cannot get your compulsion under control, you're going to have it thrown right back at you every time you try to sling it.  You're just too much fun to pass up.

Offline halen

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 05:12:52 PM »
Annie, Here is a simple way to put someone on ignore...Don't read their posts if it p#sses you off. If you don't like the "show" don't watch it. Here is an even better way to have someone ignore you or visa versa...Don't take snotty pot shots at them that are uncalled for on a post that has nothing to do with them.  This is my wise and sage advise to you. Free of charge.

Louise
There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

When he shall die
Take him and cut him out into stars
And he shall make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night,

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 06:49:48 PM »
Actually it's their 'snotty pot shots' I am out to avoid...as far as not reading something how are you supposed to know what makes you mad until you read it? I'm just completely fed up with the way certain people get away with abuse around here. As for "Binky" I find him childish, crass, tasteless and gutless and have been wanting to say something for a long time. The pseudo stupid facade of the fictional character should not excuse the very intensely cruel person behind it. It's not funny.

Offline Tsarfan

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 09:05:58 PM »
Really, Annie.  Try to calm down.

Most people would consider lying about an author, getting caught at it, and then crawling into a crevice to throw little snotballs at the people who called you on your lie to be somewhat more egregious.

Of course, perhaps you can clear up this matter by doing now what you refused to do on the FOTR thread -- prove or at least give the source for your claim that Penny Wilson gave a speech last summer in which she claimed Anna Anderson was Anastasia. 

No one was bothering you at all once you skulked off.  Then, out of the blue, you attacked Simon on a thread on which he had not even been active, and you reactivated this thread which has been virtually dead for almost a year and a half for the same purpose.  Then you have the audacity to snort and whimper about abuse and what other people get away with.  You really are a piece of work.

But please explain what is so unreasonable about Halen's suggestion.  Since you wanted to block every post written by Simon, what is the problem with not even beginning to read anything he writes, as Halen suggested?  Your argument that you don't know whether you want to avoid a post until you read it belies your claim that you want to ignore everything  written by Simon.  What you actually seem to want is just to use this thread as a bully pulpit to attack Simon indirectly since you have no hope of prevailing against him with factual arguments.

Now I'm sure this will bring on another round of comically hypocritical hand-wringing about all the abuse you suffer.  But first, how about answering the real question -- what is your proof that Penny Wilson gave the speech you said she did?

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 08:29:31 PM »
Oh dear, somebody is just dying to bring up a fight from another thread into this one. Look, the reason I asked about putting certain people on ignore (I didn't mention names) is because I don't want to fight, and I'm certainly not going to do it now.

The person I want to put on ignore isn't going to PM me, because the person has no desire to argue in private as this person's goal is a public show in front of an audience

Offline Tsarfan

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 10:58:39 PM »
Oh dear, somebody is just dying to bring up a fight from another thread into this one.  Look, the reason I asked about putting certain people on ignore (I didn't mention names) is because I don't want to fight . . . .

Oh, really?  Then how do you explain this post you put up the other day in the middle of discussion in which Simon was not at all engaged with you:

It's a very common tactic, even used by Simon here against me.

You started this thread many months ago.  You were given an answer on November 12, 2006 about how to find out whether posts could be blocked by readers.  It really seems there could be no purpose in resurrecting this moot discussion other than to try to take yet another unprovoked potshot at Simon.  In conjuction with your unprovoked stab at Simon the other day on the Elections thread, most reasonable people would think this is a fair definition of trying to pick a fight.  Annie, you are either lying about not wanting to pick a fight or you are completely delusional.  Or both.

But I digress.  Let's get back to that earlier lie you have not yet explained.  In trying to attack Penny Wilson's credibility, you posted that she gave a speech last summer at the Eurohistory Conference in which she said that Anna Anderson was Anastasia.  Three people who attended that conference and heard the speech reported that she said no such thing.

Please produce your proof that Wilson said what you claimed.  Otherwise your assertion has to stand as an outright lie made in an attempt to discredit someone.