Author Topic: The Rasputin File  (Read 3585 times)

Offline Grand_Duke_Alexei

• Tsarevich Alexei Rocks!!
    • View Profile
The Rasputin File
« on: October 05, 2004, 09:09:12 PM »
Hey everyone, has anyone ever heard of the Rasputin File?  I am not sure what it is exactly, (I think a police report), but it was missing for years, and then was sold in an auction which was bought by an orchestra player and then given to a friend.  If anyone knows what this file contains and/or where it's whereabouts is now, please post.  I would really appreciate it.  Thanx.  
Blow a kiss I run through air
Leave the past, find nowhere
Floating forests in the air
Clowns all around you

Alll this black and cruel despair
This is an emergency
Don't you hide your eyes from me
Open them and see me now

rskkiya

Re: The Rasputin File
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 09:15:38 PM »
It's a book...you might find more information under Recommended Reading or Recommended Books.

R.

Offline rachel5a

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 11:49:22 AM »
all about it in Radzinsky book "Rasputin" there was file bought by Radzinsy's friend Slaw Rostropowich- conductor- in 1995 in Sotheby's auction.

Offline brendan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 11:51:36 PM »
all about it in Radzinsky book "Rasputin" there was file bought by Radzinsy's friend Slaw Rostropowich- conductor- in 1995 in Sotheby's auction.

How did Rostropovich, a collector of Romanov memorabilia who was forced to leave the Soviet Union in the Seventies, discover the file? Mr Trewin said: "When he heard Edward was writing the book, Rostropovich offered him the file, saying, 'I have the great prize you have been looking for'."

"He said he had bought it at a Sotheby's auction somewhere on the Continent in 1995. We have tried to track this down but Sotheby's seems to have no record of it.
Nigel Reynolds, Arts Correspondent
(Telegraph [UK] March 14, 2000) -

Hmmmm.....now isnt that rather odd......?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Konstantine »

Offline Denise

• Knyaz
  • Anneliese: Historian in training
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 09:15:29 PM »

How did Rostropovich, a collector of Romanov memorabilia who was forced to leave the Soviet Union in the Seventies, discover the file? Mr Trewin said: "When he heard Edward was writing the book, Rostropovich offered him the file, saying, 'I have the great prize you have been looking for'."

"He said he had bought it at a Sotheby's auction somewhere on the Continent in 1995. We have tried to track this down but Sotheby's seems to have no record of it.
Nigel Reynolds, Arts Correspondent
(Telegraph [UK] March 14, 2000) -

Hmmmm.....now isnt that rather odd......?

Interesting.  Do you know if anyone has followed up on this?

Denise

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 09:50:32 PM »
Not really odd... it could have been bought as  "a lot [auction term] of papers" . By this description, a buyer would be on his/her own to  1. preview the items 2. discern to whom the papers belonged or their provenence.
Having said that, I would be a bit surprised that the auction house experts had not already discerned what they were and where they came from.  Especially at that date, as the Romanovs were at a high of auction interest.
BUT- these things DO happen. Rembrants have been found in attic trunks !
Cheers,
Robert
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Denise

• Knyaz
  • Anneliese: Historian in training
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005, 05:30:22 PM »
Having said that, I would be a bit surprised that the auction house experts had not already discerned what they were and where they came from.  Especially at that date, as the Romanovs were at a high of auction interest.
BUT- these things DO happen. Rembrants have been found in attic trunks !

That is what I find odd, Robert.  One would think that an auction house with that kind of reputation would know a bit more about its items.  Especially something that could have this kind of impact.

Is there anyway to try to authenticate the provenance of the so called "Rasputin File?"  I have Radzinsky's book, but haven't picked it up to finish in 3 months.  It is a bit florid in style....

Denise
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Denise »

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 06:53:36 PM »
The auction catalogue itself would help. [Nick Nicholson, where are you?].  Other than that, whomever cites them would be bound to prove the veracity. I would think. Sort of like "chain of custody".
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 06:04:53 PM »
Sadly the (London) Sotheby's Russian expert at that time is now dead.   He was a very remarkable man who was passionately interested in Russia and anything and everything connected with Russia.

He died an untimely death and is sadly missed.   He was an authority of Iconography and wrote at least a couple of books on the subject.   He also acted as adviser on the book written by Prince Nicholas of Greece - 'Nicholas and Alexandra - the family album'.   His name was John Stuart. +

tsaria