Author Topic: The grand-father of the first Stuart king: Robert Bruce  (Read 2757 times)

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
The grand-father of the first Stuart king: Robert Bruce
« on: November 21, 2006, 05:14:00 PM »
When David II, the only legitimate son of king Robert Bruce by his second wife Elizabeth de Burgh, died in february 1371, he left no children. David II was married firstly with the english princess Joan of the Tower, but she had not babies. When he became a widow, he remarried his former mistress Margaret Drummond, but, after five years of conjugal life, they were divorced on grounds of her infertility. The king was planning to marry his new mistress, Agnes Dunbar, when he was dead.

Being David childless, he was succeeded by his nephew, Robert II. Robert was a son of Marjorie Bruce, daughter of Robert Bruce by his first wife Isabella de Mar, so a half-sister of David. Marjorie had been married to Walter Stewart, 6th High Steward of Scotland. When Marjorie was pregnant, she fell from a horse and she delivered his son Robert by cesarean section. The poor woman died so quickly. The child grew up and, later, as I said, he succeeded his maternal uncle David II.

Robert II was the first Stuart king.

But I´m specially interested in his maternal grand-mother, Robert Bruce. These man, the royal ancestor of the Stuart´s dinasty, had an heritage scoto-norman through his father, Robert de Brus, Lord of Annandale, but gaelic heritage through his mother, Marjorie countess of Carrick. Marjorie of Carrick seems to have been a wondreous woman: Robert of Annandale caught her eye and she was so taken with him that she had him held captive for a time, until he agreed to marry her! By the way, the couple Robert&Marjorie had several children: five sons who were named Robert, Edward, Niall, Thomas and Alexander; five daughters who were named Christian, Isobel, Mary, Margaret and Matilda.

When the heiress of Scotland, Margaret, surnamed the Maid of Norway, was died on the Orkney Islands before time, in 1290, the main line of the House of Dunkeld came to an end. Margaret had been a norwegian princess through her father, Erick Magnusson, but a scottish princess through her mother, Margaret, daughter of Alexander III of Scotland and Margaret of England. After Margaret of Norway´s death, thirteen competitors claimed their rights to the scottish throne. The two most noteworthy were Robert de Brus lord of Annandale and John Balliol lord of Galloway.

Robert de Brus was an unsuccesful claimant, but he transferred his rights to his elder son Robert Bruce. It was an epoch fulfilled with battles, until the battle of Bannockburn, in 1314, when Robert gained his kingdom ;) I think he paid the price for his crown, during all these years of anguish. He suffered a lot when the english killed his brother Niall, or when the english took as prisoners his second wife Elizabeth de Burgh, his daughter from the first wife named Marjorie Bruce and his sister Christian. It seems that he always suffered a lot when the english took as state prisoner Isobel MacDuff, countess of Buchan, the woman who had crowned Robert at Scone. The english alleged Isobel was the mistress of Robert. She was captured after the battle of Methven and had a very cruel captivery for almost four years.

What do you think about Robert Bruce and his time?

Offline ilyala

• Velikye Knyaz
  • il y a
    • View Profile
Re: The grand-father of the first Stuart king: Robert Bruce
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 12:27:16 AM »
But I´m specially interested in his maternal grand-mother, Robert Bruce. These man, the royal ancestor of the Stuart´s dinasty, had an heritage scoto-norman through his father, Robert de Brus, Lord of Annandale, but gaelic heritage through his mother, Marjorie countess of Carrick. Marjorie of Carrick seems to have been a wondreous woman: Robert of Annandale caught her eye and she was so taken with him that she had him held captive for a time, until he agreed to marry her!

:o
omg does that really work?! i should try it  ::)

this reminds me of william the conqueror and his wife.

the robert the bruce that became king robert 1st was actually the grandson of the robert de brus who was a candidate for the scottish throne. anyone know how come both the grandfather and the father died in 15 years time before the grandson became the leader? i've always been a fan of the obscurest people and all i ever read is that robert the bruce was the grandson... and then all the talk of the grandfather and the father die out...
'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya