Author Topic: Diana Memorial Service and Concert, 2007  (Read 82543 times)

Leuchtenberg

Re: Diana Memorial Service and Concert, 2007
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2006, 11:22:12 AM »
The nicest thing I can say about the woman is that she will always be a divisive issue.  :D :D

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 04:04:24 PM »

Actually,  at this writing the princes are not involved with the concert -- their connection to any possible events have not yet been announced by Clarence House

Oh?  I must have dreamt the whole thing then... ;D

Apparently, an official announcement is to be made on December 12 but I cannot imagine such an event even being mooted without the involvement of the two princes.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 04:08:13 PM by Grace »

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2006, 06:01:48 PM »
The public should respect the wishes of Charles and Camilla as a married couple for the sake of family unity.

Margarita

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2006, 05:12:39 AM »
Charles will undoubtedly want her there.  And what he wants is the only thing that matters in this world...well at least in his eyes.  ::)

In this matter I believe Chuck will defer to the wishes of his sons.

TampaBay

"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2006, 07:00:03 AM »
I think TampaBay was right - William and Harry should invite them, but they shouldn't go. It wouldn't be inappropriate for Charles to be there, but obviously many people would resent Camilla's presence and I don't think Charles should go without her. I don't understand some of the attitudes towards Camilla though - the way I see it is, if Diana's own sons are reconciled to her, what's left to say about it?  ::)
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline Nadezhda Edvardovna

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2006, 02:26:39 PM »
Charles and Camilla publicly confessed their sins and repented of same when their marriage was blessed.  Surely if Jesus forgives them we can also?  What greater proof of C&C's repentance than to pay tribute to a woman, who despite her human frailty, did enormous good and meant a lot to so many? Pax, N.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2006, 03:06:54 PM »
I still think that it would be better not to go, if for no other reason than it will be a distraction. The press will most likely use it as a chance to debate Camilla vs. Diana all over again and that doesn't benefit Camilla or Diana's memory--which is supposed to be the focus of the concert. That might seem unfair but no one ever said life's fair. I'm sure whatever the decision, it will be speculated on.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2006, 03:14:28 PM »
It seems like no matter what they do, they are doomed. They will be criticized if they go, they will be criticized if they don't. They should just use their judgment and do what they feel is right, since they will be criticized by someone no matter what. Everyone should just get over it and focus on what this concert is really supposed to be about: a tribute and a memorial to Diana's life, and not about who attends and who doesn't attend...

Offline CHRISinUSA

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2006, 04:10:58 PM »
I thought about what Rob said (in his private capacity, not as forum administrator) and I completely agree with him.

The press?  The public?  To H*** with them.  This is not a state or royal event, it will be a private event.  As such, there are only five individuals with the right to express opinons or make this decision.

William   - who probably wants his step-mother there, if for no other reason than as a sign of respect to his father
Harry -  the same as his brother
Chares - who must attend for all reasons Rob mentioned
Caimilla - who probably will be shaking in her boots that day but should attend anyway.

And of course....

Diana herself.  Now here's the interesting one.  What would Diana think were she able to express her opinion?  She had moved on with her life, making her own plans, happy to be free.  I, for one, believe that had she not died, Diana by now would have resigned herself to the Charles / Camilla marriage (it probably would have happened earlier than it did had Diana lived).  She may even would have held some comfort in the fact that someone she loved / cared deeply for, was now as happy in his personal life as she was in hers.

So if I'm right, the only five people who's opinion should matter would probably all vote "yes".  Who can argue with that?

Offline Harumi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2006, 08:59:30 AM »
William and Harry have given an interview to confirm the concert will take place.

The concert will be held in Wembley, the ticket will cost 45 (to benefit Diana-related charities), Elton will perform (of course) and Charles and Camilla, though invited, are apparently 'unlikely to be present'.

You can read the article and watch the video at the link below:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=422038&in_page_id=1770&ico=Homepage&icl=TabModule&icc=picbox&ct=5

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2006, 02:13:56 PM »
As I said, nothing had been announced by Clarence House until today   it was speculation until today

link=topic=8583.msg229475#msg229475 date=1164837864]

Actually,  at this writing the princes are not involved with the concert -- their connection to any possible events have not yet been announced by Clarence House

Apparently, an official announcement is to be made on December 12 but I cannot imagine such an event even being mooted without the involvement of the two princes.
[/quote]
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2006, 02:18:02 PM »
I thought about what Rob said (in his private capacity, not as forum administrator) and I completely agree with him.

The press?  The public?  To H*** with them.  This is not a state or royal event, it will be a private event.  As such, there are only five individuals with the right to express opinons or make this decision.

William   - who probably wants his step-mother there, if for no other reason than as a sign of respect to his father
Harry -  the same as his brother
Chares - who must attend for all reasons Rob mentioned
Caimilla - who probably will be shaking in her boots that day but should attend anyway.

And of course....

Diana herself.  Now here's the interesting one.  What would Diana think were she able to express her opinion?  She had moved on with her life, making her own plans, happy to be free.  I, for one, believe that had she not died, Diana by now would have resigned herself to the Charles / Camilla marriage (it probably would have happened earlier than it did had Diana lived).  She may even would have held some comfort in the fact that someone she loved / cared deeply for, was now as happy in his personal life as she was in hers.

So if I'm right, the only five people who's opinion should matter would probably all vote "yes".  Who can argue with that?

No one.
Je Maintiendrai

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2006, 02:32:22 PM »
Yes, they can -- I'm here!

If, as suggested by Chris, the princes are going to have the attitude "to hell with the public" then why would they suggest this concert in the first place?  I don't believe they would have such an attitude at all.  The echo of an empty Wembley Stadium is going to be loud indeed if they do not expect public support in this.

And although of course it's the princes' choice who attends -- both family wise and artist wise -- how can it be described as a private event?  It's not going to private at all!  ???

We can't state which members of the royal family William and Harry will want there either, because we don't know...

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2006, 02:44:14 PM »
Yes, they can -- I'm here!

If, as suggested by Chris, the princes are going to have the attitude "to hell with the public" then why would they suggest this concert in the first place?  I don't believe they would have such an attitude at all.  The echo of an empty Wembley Stadium is going to be loud indeed if they do not expect public support in this.

And although of course it's the princes' choice who attends -- both family wise and artist wise -- how can it be described as a private event?  It's not going to private at all!  ???

We can't state which members of the royal family William and Harry will want there either, because we don't know...

Grace I strongly object!The Princes do not have the attitude "to hell with the public" at all!!!They rather have an attitude,and more,of reconcilliation,that is the key word,and should be,ten years on.Regardless what petty posters on boards or forums say/think,it's of no importance whatshowever,ever!And furthermore ,it is NOT a private event,you can buy your ticket too as of tomorrow morning 09.00AM GMT,so how private is that.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 02:52:49 PM by Lucien »
Je Maintiendrai

Offline CHRISinUSA

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2006, 03:22:44 PM »
As I said, nothing had been announced by Clarence House until today   it was speculation until today

link=topic=8583.msg229475#msg229475 date=1164837864]

[/quote]

Good heavens ladies.  When Grace wrote that the princes were organizing a concert for their mother, perhaps technically she should have included the word "reportedly".  When Marlene responded that "as of this writing the princes are not involved with the concert" she should have included the word "officially". 

You were both right in essence, yet wrong in the strictest of definitions.  But I didn't realize this forum was a court of law.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 03:32:47 PM by CHRISinUSA »