Author Topic: Diana Memorial Service and Concert, 2007  (Read 87160 times)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Where were you/What were you doing when you heard Diana had died?
« Reply #315 on: December 18, 2008, 08:13:46 AM »
I agree that she did not "hate" Diana, but disaproved of her and did not wanted to get involved. Anyone who saw "The Queen" would see how impossible that the Queen would have "loved" her. Surprisingly though, Prince Philip did his best to reach out to her until the end.

Offline Romanov_Fan19

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 18, 2008, 06:51:41 PM »
I Dont belive the Royals Desereve as much blame as they get personally

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 19, 2008, 09:31:56 AM »
I think the Royals were blamed because they misjudged the mood of the people. It wasonly their return that it defused the situation caused by Diana's death. The Queen was "Our nation's mother or grandmother" and how could she not involved when a nation was in grief ?

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
  • 1 Corinthians 13, Mark 11: 23-24, Romans 8: 38-39
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 08, 2009, 01:19:30 AM »
It's my first time to comment in this thread....
I was 5 years old then. I saw the car so crushed from the impact.
The funeral was shown but I disregarded it.
Now, I'm regretting why I was not able to see it...

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!

Offline brnbg aka: liljones1968

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 08, 2009, 02:16:28 AM »

i was here in san francisco (where i live).  i was in my neighborhood café and overheard 2 friends talking outside.  they didn't mention a name, but were discussion the accident.  for some odd reason, i knew they were talking about diana.

i say "odd" because, although i admired her very much, she was never a great interest of mine, so i've always found it rather odd that i would have known they were talking about her even though they had not mentioned any names at all.

"when i die, i hope i go like my grandfather --
peacefully in my sleep; not screaming & in terror,
like the passengers in his car."

-- anonymous

Offline Tina Laroche

• Graf
  • Give My Love To All Who Remember Me ~ Olga N.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 08, 2009, 05:17:43 AM »
Well, I was one year and 8 months old when she died, so I don't believe I payed attention to my parents when they were talking about it. I probably saw something on TV (when my family was watching, but I don't remember a thing. :-[

alixaannencova

« Reply #321 on: February 08, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
I have always put off making a response to this thread and still am not sure why I am...but, anyway....

I hosted a party on the night/early morning of the 30th/31st at my place in London. In those days we all seemed to party quite a lot at weekends, but this particular party was quite a 'flat' one as I recall and all the guests had left by one and I fell into bed. Some time later, a girl friend who was staying over, came in and began whispering feverishly 'Are you awake...' to which I grumpily replied 'I am now!
  She then proceeded to impart the news that Diana had been in an accident and was injured. I was so tired I just mumbled I do not remember what, and was left alone. Thereafter I lay there in that strange place hovering between sleep and wakefulness. At that time, we were aware that Diana had been frolicking in the Med with Dodi on board the Jonikal, but few had known that she had flown to Paris. As I lay there, I wondered if her accident had involved a collision with another vessel then I must have fallen asleep only to be woken by an increasingly noisome friend chattering into the telephone in the spare room next door and I relented and got up. This was when I blinked at the screen of the television as the newsreader began talking about the tunnel, the thirteenth pillar and shots of the crushed black Mercedes brought home the magnitude of the situation, but then at that time Diana was merely 'injured' so it did not seem a huge deal, but being now fully awake I made some coffee and realized that my sleep over chum was on the phone to her mother in the States, feeding her details of the situation like a member of the press ringing in a story. I remember standing there thinking 'I had no idea you were such a fan of Diana,' and then I found myself gazing at the television as the story was repeated over and over. The car, the Ritz, the tunnel...the car, the Ritz, the tunnel...over and over. Then the news was fed through that Diana's injuries were more serious and the tone of the broadcasts changed, then the French Doctor in front of the press and then the Reuters leak about her death etc. It was all very hazy and vivid at the same time and I remember spilling my coffee!

Thereafter, as it was still so early we sat there babbling about how unbelievable it was as the television continued to roll its endless item. It was extraordinary just how many times one found oneself watching the same footage over and over, like a rabbit mesmerized by a snake. It really was odd, as I had never really been a fan of Diana, I admired her in many ways for her humanitarian work, but I never really warmed to her and had tired of the constant barrage of headlines she had incited in Fleet street, especially over the last six weeks of her life.

Anyway my friend was back on the phone in minutes chattering away in 'hushed, breathless' tones and I began to feel a terrible sense of hostility and revulsion at this. I needed to get away from the babble, I needed quiet time, I could not stand to hear the edge of excitement in her voice, it seemed so shocking to see someone being somehow 'excited' by such dreadful news. I dressed and escaped saying I fancied a walk. I was living off High Street Ken at the time and I remember it felt unexpectedly chilly that morning, My local news agent was open and was selling the hastily delivered and even more hastily rewritten early editions. I wandered up to Notting Hill and found a cafe open and just sat there sipping coffee as I tried to read the paper. Although the front page of the Sunday Times had been changed to carry the news of Diana's death, one of the inserts, the News Review, had not been pulled, and it carried a huge two page article on the psychological state of Diana and tried to explain away her behaviour, citing her parents' divorce etc. It was basically a rehash of old stuff, but it did touch on her escapades in the Med. It was rather mundane but it was also rather terse and clinical in tone, but then it had been written up before the crash, and had been left in the early editions evidently in error. I remember thinking at the time, how awful it was to see an article in that vein. Gushing tributes on the front page and this psycho babble within. It all seemed so horribly hypocritical!

Galvanized by a coffee and a croissant I went home and even then at eight in the morning Hight street Ken was busier then normal for a Sunday. People were standing around, grey faced and rather bewildered at Palace Avenue and Palace Gate and I thought, 'What are they all doing here? What good will it do standing around outside KP? Are they looking for reaffirmation, comfort in sharing the whole thing with others. It was rather haunting and uncomfortable to see those people there, just standing around. It was before all the flowers and things started being placed en masse. I went home and as the television was still on, watched Tony Blair making his little speech outside church. 

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 08, 2009, 04:03:31 PM »
In simple terms, Diana's death shocked a nation and many people around the world. I was in Boston and attented a memorial for Diana. Some of the women were in the deepest black and cried all through the service. I think some British (mostly older ones) did not appreciate Diana's impact around the world.

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
  • 1 Corinthians 13, Mark 11: 23-24, Romans 8: 38-39
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 09, 2009, 03:24:48 AM »
She also has many fans here in Philippines...
I agree with what you said, Eric.

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
  • Your Memory Keeps Me Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 09, 2009, 12:01:03 PM »
In simple terms, Diana's death shocked a nation and many people around the world. I was in Boston and attented a memorial for Diana. Some of the women were in the deepest black and cried all through the service. I think some British (mostly older ones) did not appreciate Diana's impact around the world.

I do agree on this, Diana was the voice of a younger generation, while the elder one probably looked to The Queen herself for guidance, so all the 'hysteria' as some said it to be would, in their eyes, just be some over-dramatised effect. Though I think those few days showed Diana's impact was far more bigger than it was thought to be
Learn To Live With My Darker Side

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 09, 2009, 12:30:43 PM »
Indeed. As time proved, Diana's lesson was learnt by today's royals. As a result, it became more in tune with the people's expectatations. I am a fan of hers, but understood there were flaws in her charecter. However Diana did have a powerful message and sadly it took her death to realise many of the changes. Just as today in America under Barack Obama, Diana's message was to get involved and help people around the world (Aids, landmines, leprosy, family problems), and become a positive force for good.

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 09, 2009, 12:55:18 PM »
Indeed. I always admired her, but do not see her as some saint, she had her flaws like all of us but we have to remember the good she did for the world, and that is much more than others who have the
kind of position she had during her life.

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 09, 2009, 01:23:59 PM »
Indeed. As time proved, Diana's lesson was learnt by today's royals. As a result, it became more in tune with the people's expectatations. I am a fan of hers, but understood there were flaws in her charecter. However Diana did have a powerful message and sadly it took her death to realise many of the changes. Just as today in America under Barack Obama, Diana's message was to get involved and help people around the world (Aids, landmines, leprosy, family problems), and become a positive force for good.

Can't see any comparison whatsoever between Diana, Princess of Wales and the new American president, I'm afraid!  After all, one was a member of the aristocracy who married into the British royal family and tried to make a difference and one is an African-American who is trying to make a difference as a politician.  I think Mr. Obama has enough on his plate at present with the economy and the Iraq/Afghanistan conflicts to be straying into the sort of areas Diana worked in.  Just my opinion.   

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 09, 2009, 03:02:14 PM »
Indeed...The comparison is hardly physical. After Princess Diana died, many people were inspired by her good works to become volenteers to help the poor and needy around the world. President Obama's message of "Yes you can" also inspired people that they can make a difference in people's lives. The day before he became president, he went to poor communities and help with the painting (I don't think you will see Gordon Brown in that position). It is similar to Diana helping with the kitchen of the poor in India ( I don't think Camilla or the Queen will do that too). The sense of social service and to make a difference in other's lives is really universal.

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 10, 2009, 03:37:08 PM »
I agree, only once in great amount of time there are people who manage to get thet kind of outreach and Diana was one of them, and her name still opens doors now.