Author Topic: Diana Memorial Service and Concert, 2007  (Read 86359 times)

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
William and Harry interview
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2007, 04:42:44 AM »
I've opened a new thread because I feel the subject is inapproriate to continue on the 'Love Lives' thread or the 'Army' thread devoted to the Windsor princes.

Princes William and Harry have given their first ever extended interview on the subject of the death of their mother.   It will be transmitted round the world next week.   They have chosen to speak out now to mark her birthday, the 10th anniversary of her death and the memorial concert they are staging.

From what I have heard it creates more questions than it answers.   Both the sons say they think about her every day - which is only natural.   Harry said - 'When they think about it, they think about her death, they think about, you know, how wrong it was.'

'They think about, you know, whatever happened.   I don't know for... for me personally, whatever happened, you know, that night... whatever happened in that tunnel, you know, no-one will ever know.

'I'm sure people will always think about that the whole time.'

Asked about about whether he would ever stop wondering how his mother died, he said:  'I'll never stop wondering about that.'

Unfortunately this is going to be fuel for the conspiracists.   I, for one, can see why.   Clarence House have stated that the Princes have never thought their mother's death was anything but an accident.   The questions posed by Harry are an expression of his thoughts as to how the crash might have been avoided.   Somehow this doesn't quite gel with Harry's responses.

The interview is much wider than the subject of their mother's death and the manner of her passing.   Both boys feel that the ten years which have elapsed have passed 'very, very slowly'.

Perhaps the commissioners at Channel 4 might reflect on the unnecessary hurt they inflicted on those two, still suffering, young men and others who plan exploiting their mother, her life and her death, will now think twice about doing so.

tsaria

PS:  Yet another inquest - the fourth - into the death of Diana, Princess of Wales, conducted by a new coroner, will open and close today.

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: William and Harry interview
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2007, 06:07:02 AM »
Unfortunately, the interview shows that Harry still has a lot of maturing to do.  To even suggest publicly that he himself has questions about his mother's death was not a good idea at all.  And his answer to what he'd be doing if he wasn't a prince "playing computer and drinking beer" was rather foolish also. 

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2007, 06:16:42 AM »
Even Sarah can give better answers than that.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2007, 06:19:17 AM »
I think you're right!  :o :o :o

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2007, 06:45:57 AM »
Oh dear.   Another PR exercise which looks as though it might backfire.

tsaria

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2007, 07:53:38 AM »
I had posted this in the Diana thread:

For those in the US, here are some dates to keep in mind for Diana commemorations:

June 15 = Interview preview (with William & Harry) on Today Show Web site
June 18 = Part I during NBC’s The Today Show @ 7AM
June 18 = Part II during Dateline NBC @ 10PM
July 1 = Concert for Diana, NBC

I believe times are Eastern.

On Friday, June 15, 2007, an exclusive portion of Lauer's interview with Prince William and Prince Harry will make its world premiere online at TODAYshow.com. There's already a portion up so I don't know if they released it early or if another portion will be up. NBC News' "Today" will air a special split-show on Friday, June 29th, prior to the concert, with Lauer broadcasting from London to commemorate the event being held in Princess Diana's honor.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19190534/

« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 08:13:44 AM by grandduchessella »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2007, 07:59:34 AM »
From the Daily Mail:

"For William, the tenth anniversary of his mother's death this summer is obviously a time of deep personal anguish. But the pain, he says in the interview, has never gone away. "Just for my personal opinion, when you knew somebody or someone that important to you, you always think about it, you know," he says. "There's not a day goes by I don't think about it once in the day." For both of them, Harry says, the last ten years have gone by "really, really slowly". He adds: "It's weird because I think when she...she passed away there was never that time...there was never that sort of lull.

"There was never that sort of peace and quiet for any of us - the fact that her face was always splattered on the paper the whole time. "Over the last ten years I personally feel as though she has been...she's always there. "She's always being a constant reminder to both of us and everybody else."

Clarence House said that Harry's comments referred to whether the fatal crash - in the Pont de l'Alma tunnel in Paris on August 31, 1997 - could have been prevented and were not about speculation over the cause. The princes' spokesman said: "Of course Prince Harry and Prince William will always be thinking a lot about what happened that night and whether the accident could have been avoided. "But they have never doubted their mother's death was an accident."

I think his answers gel with this--I wouldn't doubt they're being leaked out of context to gin up publicity--much the way the Diana accident photos were so widely discussed before the documentary aired. Hasn't it been reported that both princes still bear tremendous ill-will towards the paparazzi that were chasing her that night? He could merely be musing that perhaps the death could've been prevented had they not been speeding after her, regardless of any other facts (such as Paul's being drunk). I really don't think it can be seen that the princes would buy into any of al-Fayed's thoughts that it was somehow planned by the royal family, specifically their grandfather.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 08:03:08 AM by grandduchessella »

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2007, 08:04:30 AM »
More from the Daily Mail, regarding 'normalcy':

"The brothers first tackle the question of Diana's desire for them to live as normal lives as possible...."I think she'd be happy in the way that we're going about it, but slightly unhappy about the way the other people were going about it as in saying, 'Look you're, you're, not normal so stop trying to be normal'," he says. "(They say) 'You've got certain responsibilities'. Which obviously we do. But within our private life and within certain other parts of our life we wanna be as normal as possible."

Asked whether their positions as second and third in line to the throne make it difficult for them to form personal relationships, William, who will be 25 next week and split up with his long-term girlfriend Kate Middleton in April, says: "There's a of baggage that comes with us, trust me. A lot of baggage." His brother, whose long-term girlfriend is 21-year-old Chelsy Davy, adds: "At the same time, you've got to understand that it's just as hard for our friends as it is for us, there's a massive element of trust.

"Our friends have to put up with a lot when it comes to us." "

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2007, 08:06:01 AM »
Unfortunately, the interview shows that Harry still has a lot of maturing to do.  To even suggest publicly that he himself has questions about his mother's death was not a good idea at all.  And his answer to what he'd be doing if he wasn't a prince "playing computer and drinking beer" was rather foolish also. 

Harry didn't say that, William said it about him:

When asked what they would do if they weren't members of the Royal Family...Harry struggles to answer, his brother interjects: "He'd probably sit and play computer games and drink beer".....Harry gives him a filthy look then laughs, before saying: "I'd probably live in Africa. I'd like to spend all my time out there. "It would be a humanitarian aspect and as well as a sort of a safari aspect. I would have to get a job. So it would probably be a safari guide."

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2007, 11:35:05 AM »
I wonder whether we will have the chance to see it over here?
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2007, 01:28:43 PM »

Now i'm not usually a fan of Williams looks but he looks a real dish in this picture! :P

'They think about, you know, whatever happened.   I don't know for... for me personally, whatever happened, you know, that night... whatever happened in that tunnel, you know, no-one will ever know.

Yes, I must admit I was rather horrified at that sentence. The ghastly, ghastly, al Fayed will love that. I just wish they would leave the poor Princess in peace and put the conspiracy theories to bed. It's gone on for far to long.
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Janet

• Boyar
  • There is nothing like a Dame ... of the Thistle
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2007, 01:40:27 PM »
Yes, I must admit I was rather horrified at that sentence. The ghastly, ghastly, al Fayed will love that.

I thought the same thing so I was glad to see the following today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/06/13/nharry113.xml

Both princes have stressed in the past that they believe their mother's death was a tragic accident. Their spokesman said Prince Harry's comments did not mean he believed there was any truth in the conspiracy theories that have since abounded, but that it was "natural for him and his brother to wonder exactly what their mother went through".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/monarchy/story/0,,2101586,00.html

Clarence House officials stressed that the remarks meant that the prince would never stop wondering whether the crash in the Alma Tunnel in Paris could have been prevented and he was not speculating about the crash itself.

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2007, 06:02:59 PM »

It was actually Prince William who volunteered that Prince Harry would play computer games and drink beer, rather than Harry himself, a rather silly thing to say nevertheless.  I'd better take a break - I'm making too many blunders.  :-[  ::)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 06:04:49 PM by Grace »

Offline Taren

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • The Chick Manifesto
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2007, 06:08:44 PM »
I wonder whether we will have the chance to see it over here?

Both parts will likely show up on youtube shortly after they air.

Offline Duke of New Jersey

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2007, 06:34:39 PM »

I think he meant that nobody will ever know because it was an accident, I don't think he meant anything further.  This is just what I think.

-Duke of NJ