Author Topic: Diana Memorial Service and Concert, 2007  (Read 82514 times)

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Diana Memorial Service and Concert, 2007
« on: November 28, 2006, 05:06:28 PM »
Princes William and Harry have stated their intention to organize and stage a tribute concert to their late mother, Diana, Princess of Wales, to be held on July 1, 2007.  This would have been her 46th birthday and is also near the tenth anniversary of her tragic death in 1997.

While I respect the fact that William and Harry have the right to ask who they wish to this concert, I wonder if posters think their father and/or step-mother should attend, given what has happened in the past? 

Should this be forgotten and Charles and Camilla attend to show support to the two young princes and also to put the past to rest?

Or should this be an occasion that the two boys (now grown men) arrange themselves with assistance from people outside the royal family, to show that they are independent adults and want a commemoration of their mother by her beloved boys only?

Leuchtenberg

Re: Diana Memorial Service and Concert, 2007
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 06:27:37 PM »
William and Harry seem to have accepted her as their stepmother.  Of course, it's not like they had much choice.   IMO, given the past and their stepmother's role during their parents' marriage, I still consider it an insult to their dead mother that they have welcomed the woman into the family with open arms.   If the two Princes feel that a woman so despised by their mother deserves to be present at the Memorial Concert, then I suppose that's that.

However, William and Harry have been known to complain about books written about Diana by people who knew her.  William and Harry  claim it is a betrayal of their mother.  So, if they decide they want their stepmother at the Concert, they ought to keep their mouths shut about others who are being disloyal to Diana.  Glass houses ought not to throw stones. 

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 07:34:56 PM »
It's up to them, isn't it.

And then, if they extend invitations to their father and stepmother, it's up to Charles and Camilla to decide whether William and Harry's purpose for honoring Diana will be served by their appearance at the event.

None of us really know how the two princes have (or have not) reconciled their mother's unhappiness and death with their father's second marriage. But at some point there comes the time to call a truce and (you'll forgive my Yiddish) behave like a mensch. And so far, despite some lapses of good sense on the part of Harry, I think both young men have borne the fishbowl situation with considerable grace.

I am not a fan of Camilla's participation in selecting a royal brood mare and abetting an adultery. Yet Diana is irretrievably gone, both Charles and Camilla have settled into late middle aged marriage, and Diana's legacy--her sons and, despite numerous personal issues, her humanitarianism--survives.

As for William and Harry complaining about books written by Diana associates . . . well, it is their right as sons to object to any such revelations, and I can understand their discomfort.  But I think they would best serve both their mom's memory and their own privacy to become a bit more stoic, even impervious to the issue. And regarding the "Diana-ana" authors . . . well, here in the States we just recently had an example of the limits of public acceptance for publication trash. So I have faith that those who are exploiting the situation in vulgar fashion, rather than offering valid insight, ultimately will sink to the bottom of their slimey aquariums.

Offline carl fraley

• Boyar
  • Honor and Fidelity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 09:17:58 PM »
I think that in any marriage it honestly takes 2 people to make things go wrong.  While I"m no supporter of Camilla i think that she has shown herself to be very adepth at her new role and the boys have shown themselves to be level headed & serious minded, socially aware (in that they know/recognize the "true issues" that need attention and they aren't afraid to put themselves out for the charities they believe in" which is what Diana wanted and stated as much in the interview with andrew morton all those years ago when she spoke of putting the foundation in them for them to do the job she raised them to do.

I would hope that the boys would invite Camilla & Charles, and I hope that they both will attend , b/c no matter what happened 10 years ago and before, it is fitting that they all honor a woman who showed selfless sacrifice and untiring devotion to her children and people.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 10:01:59 PM »
I don't think there's anyway that Camilla should attend--Charles is a different story as he was her husband and the father of her children regardless of what happened. I think it would be tacky and tasteless for the person involved in a relationship with Diana's husband while they were married to attend such an event. Seeing as how Camilla has tried to conduct herself with dignity and discretion, I can't believe that she would go nor have any expectation of it.

Further, it's supposed to be a memorial celebrating Diana's life--why have the presence of someone who is going to at least partially take the focus of her charity work, etc...and put the spotlight on that painful chapter of her life. I don't think anyone involved would want something that would dredge all that up again when so much time and effort has gone into trying to move forward.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 10:09:26 PM by grandduchessella »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 04:22:01 AM »
It is very simple.  William and Harry should extend a public  invitation to Chuck & Cammy and Cammy shold have the good manners to be unavialble to attend.

That is what my step mother did at my wedding even though she was welcome.  She just felt it would be easier for all concerned if she was not there. 

However, she was invited so there were no hard feelings.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

ferngully

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 05:50:24 AM »
'It is very simple.  William and Harry should extend a public  invitation to Chuck & Cammy and Cammy shold have the good manners to be unavialble to attend.'

agreed

Leuchtenberg

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 08:52:02 AM »
Charles will undoubtedly want her there.  And what he wants is the only thing that matters in this world...well at least in his eyes.  ::)

Offline emeraldeyes

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 08:56:22 AM »
IMO, the occasion will provide an opportunity to reinforce whatever a person already thinks about the Duchess.  The papers will have a wonderful time of it - creating a no-win situation for her.  If she doesn't show up, it will be taken as a slight to Diana's memory.  If she does show up, it will also be taken as a slight to Diana's memory.  This will take a very crafty bit of 'handling'. 
An intelligent Hell would be better than a stupid paradise.  - Victor Hugo

Leuchtenberg

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 09:07:08 AM »
IMO, the occasion will provide an opportunity to reinforce whatever a person already thinks about the Duchess.  The papers will have a wonderful time of it - creating a no-win situation for her.  If she doesn't show up, it will be taken as a slight to Diana's memory.  If she does show up, it will also be taken as a slight to Diana's memory.  This will take a very crafty bit of 'handling'. 

Perhaps she will come down with a "cold" that will prevent her from attending?  You know, sort of like the one  Mary the Princess Royal had when she was unable to attend Elizabeth and Philip's wedding.   ;)

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 09:39:39 AM »

Actually,  at this writing the princes are not involved with the concert -- their connection to any possible events have not yet been announced by Clarence House

Princes William and Harry have stated their intention to organize and stage a tribute concert to their late mother, Diana, Princess of Wales, to be held on July 1, 2007.  This would have been her 46th birthday and is also near the tenth anniversary of her tragic death in 1997.

While I respect the fact that William and Harry have the right to ask who they wish to this concert, I wonder if posters think their father and/or step-mother should attend, given what has happened in the past? 

Should this be forgotten and Charles and Camilla attend to show support to the two young princes and also to put the past to rest?

Or should this be an occasion that the two boys (now grown men) arrange themselves with assistance from people outside the royal family, to show that they are independent adults and want a commemoration of their mother by her beloved boys only?
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 10:15:24 AM »
Here's a link to an article in People magazine about the concert:

http://people.aol.com/people/article/0,26334,1563040,00.html

Here's on excerpt about the Prince's involvement:

"The princes' communications secretary, Paddy Harverson, tells PEOPLE a concert is one of the ideas being thrown forward. "It is one of a number of options being considered for how to commemorate next year. But we are not ready to confirm anything yet." "
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 10:24:07 AM »
My personal opinion, not necessarily the "official" line of the Forum,

Without question Prince Charles must be invited. He was Diana's husband, father of her children. The reality of life is that Prince Charles has re-married, like it or no. Genuine etiquette dictates that Charles' wife must be included in the invitation.  There is no "dishonor" to Diana's memory by including Camila in the invitation.  I think Prince Charles SHOULD attend without question.  After all, this concert is to honor the mother of his children. Whatever one may think of Camilla, I believe and hope would attend as well, to pay her respects to Diana, as the mother of her husband's children. 

This is NOT about petty sniping about past events.  I would think Diana herself would want the past to be left in the past, and everyone today to be gracious, humble and generous enough to look forward only to the future. Regardless of my personal opinion of Camilla, which I have been most careful not to voice here, so don't read anything into it, I defend her right to attend and pay her respects to Diana, and will applaud her courage, grace and genuine elegance for attending with her head held high.

Rob

NOT acting as FA.

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 10:30:17 AM »
Hear hear!!
Je Maintiendrai

Offline Kaie Karadjordjevic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 11:02:47 AM »
IF it had happened the other way round, Charles marrying camilla first, she dying then he marrying Diana, would you say Diana should attend

Also its commemorating the life of  a women, not all the arguements she had
we are all given one chance at life
to make it into something better
to ruin it
or to shut it out
but what ever we do we will do it by ourselves
without comments or opinions predjucing us
for it is our life
make of it what we will