Author Topic: Diana Memorial Service and Concert, 2007  (Read 84182 times)

ferngully

Re: Diana Memorial Service and Concert, 2007
« Reply #165 on: July 02, 2007, 07:43:26 AM »
charming ::) ok, maybe the concert wasn't all that. but it wasn't so bad

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #166 on: July 02, 2007, 08:36:16 AM »
Hmmm....

http://sg.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AqyocgbtEZ4_UJsa.Ag4uvb44gt.?qid=20070701202752AAiM3cb

Whatever.  ::) Nice touch of cynicism to fit today's age. As someone who has lost a much-loved parent, I thought it was a really nice tribute.

At the after-party with some of the performers:

With Kanye West & P Diddy

With Natasha Bedingfield, Tom Jones and Joss Stone

With Take That (I loved their performance and didn't even miss Robbie Williams  :))

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #167 on: July 02, 2007, 08:38:09 AM »
What song(s) did Duran Duran sing?
TampaBay

"(Reach Up for the) Sunrise", "Wild Boys" and "Rio"

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #168 on: July 02, 2007, 09:50:12 AM »

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #169 on: July 02, 2007, 11:28:14 AM »
Finally 2 photos with Beatrice & Eugenie and Earl Spencer (courtesy of BRMB). I had seen them in the audience during the concert but couldn't find a photo with them.

That boy in the pink shirt has got to be his son.

Offline Aine

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 02, 2007, 01:29:28 PM »
It wasn't so bad. I only really enjoyed a handful of the performances, but the crowd seemed to be having a great time so I'm chalking some of it up to different tastes. And I actually really liked the "Diana & me" segments and the home videos at the end. I thought they were very sweet and achieved the goal of reminding people about all the kind, good things she stood for.

One of the responses to that Yahoo!Answers article included, "And poor old Sir Elton having his act cut short by protocol. Very Diana." I hadn't actually heard that his act was cut short, but I know everyone was anticipating "Candle in the Wind" - does anyone here know what actually happened? (Did the princes change their minds, did he not want to sing it, did they need to wrap it up, etc?)

Aine
Aine

Offline Taren

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • The Chick Manifesto
« Reply #171 on: July 02, 2007, 03:11:50 PM »
I had heard they needed to wrap the concert up by 10:30 at the latest because it was in a residential district. They actually ran over and came pretty close to 10:30, so there must not have been time to perform Candle in the Wind. I initally had hoped he would perform it, but looking back I don't think it would have been in the spirit of the rest of the show to close it on such a sad note when everything else was pretty upbeat. I think it would be more appropriate if he were to play it at the memorial service. But maybe that's just me.

I didn't care for much of the performances, but definitely enjoyed the Diana and Me segments. It was so nice to see some of the lesser known people from some of the most famous photos of Diana and have them relate their memories of her.

On another note, Earl Spencer's son looks quite a bit like Harry did at that age.

Leuchtenberg

« Reply #172 on: July 02, 2007, 03:48:49 PM »
Hmmm....

http://sg.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AqyocgbtEZ4_UJsa.Ag4uvb44gt.?qid=20070701202752AAiM3cb

Whatever.  ::) Nice touch of cynicism to fit today's age. As someone who has lost a much-loved parent, I thought it was a really nice tribute.

I saw only a small bit of the concert, so not enough to form my own opinion on it.  I did find the remarks on yahoo interesting and not all of the posts were negative.

Leuchtenberg

« Reply #173 on: July 02, 2007, 03:50:43 PM »
Finally 2 photos with Beatrice & Eugenie and Earl Spencer (courtesy of BRMB). I had seen them in the audience during the concert but couldn't find a photo with them.

Earl Spencer, as he ages, looks more and more like his father.

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #174 on: July 02, 2007, 04:37:02 PM »
Yes I thought the concert was good but their was many negative comments on yahoo and vh1 about the concert. Those are great pictures of the concert grandduchessella !!! :)

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 02, 2007, 06:22:52 PM »
I enjoyed the concert very much, even if a  bit long...
And I generally dislike criticising a woman's looks, but does  Diana's sister look a tad TOO much like Camilla?  What a pair of bow-wows.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 02, 2007, 06:35:56 PM »
Robert,

I was thouth the same thing and was going to bring it up.....

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 02, 2007, 07:47:46 PM »
Grandduchessella you are such a doll for posting all of those photographs, thank you so much!

I only got to see the hour that NBC presented here in the US at 8:00 PM last night, but I enjoyed it all!!  (alas no cable or I would have watched it all)

I thought William and Harry did well!   ( I wish Harry had not cut his hair so much, he looked better when he was interviewed by Matt Lauer a few weeks earlier.)  I think it was lovely of them to put on the concert for their Mother.  It seemed just the right touch to me.

Diana certainly was the best looking one of her immediate family.....by far!  The rest are dogs.

The ones I didn't enjoy much were Tom Jones and Rod Stewart.....too old and "durty old man" acting, they should hang it up.  I CAN say that because I am about their age.....I  like the younger generation so much better in EVERY way!  Elton John is getting up there too and sure looks FRUMPY,  but I simply adore his music and always have.....wish he could have done Candle in the Wind!!!!

All in all spoken like the old fart that I am!

Arleen

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #178 on: July 02, 2007, 07:54:05 PM »
I wondered about Candle in the Wind. Prince Harry had said they asked him to perform it. I can't imagine he would refuse and, if he had, that Harry would've mentioned the asking in the first place. They had some technical difficulties which led him to drop 1-2 songs--perhaps this was one? Or they decided that, the concert being mostly upbeat, they didn't want to end on such a solemn note after all?

Offline FaithWhiteRose

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 02, 2007, 07:58:21 PM »
that could have been it, the concert being up-beat I mean. in the interview with Matt Lauer, William said that he would understand if anyone came for the music instead of Diana.