Author Topic: Diana Memorial Service and Concert, 2007  (Read 84181 times)

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Diana Memorial Service and Concert, 2007
« Reply #180 on: July 03, 2007, 06:17:49 AM »
I assume that is the Earl Spencer's daughter standing alongside him.   She looks uncannily like her late Aunt Diana when she was about that age.

Candle in the Wind simply would not have fitted the tone the princes wanted to set in celebration of their late mother's life and to give her the 'best birthday present she never had'.

I watched it, almost, in its entirety.   The one great relief was not to have constant begging breaks and the Bob Geldof's of this world shouting, swearing and exhorting viewers to part with cash.

I thought Rod Stewart elevated what was fast become an extremely dull event.   Poor English National Ballet - they murdered Act 4 of Swan Lake.   I can understand why it was there, but for me, it didn't work and they were put in an impossible situation.   Additionally it was shockingly badly shot, but I do not beliee it is possible to film or televise ballet successfully.   What I thought was hugely successful and I could have taken much more (amazing given that I do not like musicals) was the Andrew Lloyd Webber set.   Connie Fisher sang 'Memories' beautifully and Andrea Bocelli was amazing.   Sarah Brightman was awful.   I think she felt she was somehow competing with Connie Fisher in terms of technical ability... and lost - she sang - almost consistently - sharp.   It was obvious from word 'Go' that Sir Elton John was not a happy man.   By the end, he barely concealed his fury and its probably just as well there was no time for 'Crocodile Rock' because the crocodile might just have snapped.
As for Duran Duran - for me - Rio would have been enough.   Bryan Ferry and Tom Jones felt like 'fillers'.   Lily Allen was great.    Ricky Gervais was landed in the soup and got lost.

All in all - the concert lasted far too long.    Even at three hours, it would have been more than long enough.   With the exception of Elton John and perhaps Rod Stewart, from the pop/rock point of view, I felt it was pretty second rate.   Where were Paul MacCartney, Madonna, Bono, David Bowie, Mick Jagger, the recently reformed Police..............and so on?    I can't believe Diana was not a fan of theirs.   

I find it hard to believe that I thought the 'musical' section was the real winner - set/orchestration/performance/organisation - it was the best.

Diana's boys did their best in a foreign forum - best to look at it in that light.

tsaria
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 06:24:03 AM by tsaria »

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 03, 2007, 07:17:31 AM »
I loved the Concert and I watched it expecting it to be just what it was....I've been to some of the big Rock Concerts that were chaos and this one flowed and everyone looked like they were having a good time in the audience!!! But mostly I thought about Princess Diana.... and would She have been up dancing herself when She was in her twenties? The end of the Concert with the home movies of her as a Baby and a Child were very touching.... very..... and I especially hoped Prince William and Harry raised a lot of money for Princess Diana's favorite charities. Just my Take... ::)

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 03, 2007, 07:42:58 AM »
I watched the lot.

I wasn't sure that I was going to enjoy it but I did and by the end of it, I felt quite emotional.  I found the 'Diana and me' excerpts simply wonderful - such a lasting living testimony to all the good that she achieved and the many lives that she touched.

I thought that the concert had something for everyone, musically speaking.  I'm not a fan of Rod Stewart, so I went for cigarette whilt he was on.  Ricky Gervais doesn't do it for me either, too much smugness and too little talent and he quite clearly cannot improvise.......

I'm with Tsaria on English National Ballet - it just didn't work.  I also think that Elton John's 'Candle In the Wind' would have been a bit of a downer on which to end the show; not to say that it isn't a beautiful song and very touching, it's just too identified with the funeral.  The Lloyd Webber section was great, and I'm not really a fan of his stuff either.  I can take or leave Boccelli but Josh Groban was superb, even if Brightman didn't match his vocal performance......

The coverage by the BBC was patchy, with interviews with performers getting cut off mid-flow, which was a bit annoying, but overall it was a great event, a worthy cause and a wonderful way to celebrate Diana's 46th birthday and remember all the good things about her.

I have to add that seeing all those images and footage of her was simply a joy, and too poignant a reminder of what those two young men and we have lost.  Whatever her failings, she was a beloved mother and an inspirational figure to the World, so clearly and concisely illustrated by Nelson Mandela's closing comments, in which he exhorted us all to carry on the good work that she so gladly undertook.

The footage of Diana and the boys at Thorpe Park was so moving.........I think that Diana would have loved the whole thing; she would have been so proud of her sons too - so natural.

I didn't spot many Windsors there apart from the York princesses, who seemed to be having a great time.  Were there any others?
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Antoniam

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 03, 2007, 07:56:32 AM »

I didn't spot many Windsors there apart from the York princesses, who seemed to be having a great time.  Were there any others?

Zara Philips was sitting just infront of Kate Middleton, with Mike Tindall. Next to him were Peter Philips and his girlfriend Autumn Kelly. Also photographed at the concert was Lady Rose Windsor, youngest daughter of the Duke of Gloucester.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 03, 2007, 09:06:56 AM »
IMO the 1960s footage at the end was the best bit and so moving. Lovely to see Frances et al arriving at Sandringham Church for the Christening - she looked beautiful and it was so nice to see Diana in one of those wonderful old Prambulators!
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #185 on: July 03, 2007, 10:29:37 AM »
Prince William and Harry after the concert with some of the performers

« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 10:31:25 AM by Elizabeth~Princess »

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 03, 2007, 11:25:50 AM »
You know the Princes really looked as though they were having a good time.......and not in a forced or fake way either.  It was really nice to see. 

The Spencer sisters looked like they were having a good time too, although I suspect that the music of the 80's was more inspiring for them.

At the beginning of this thread there was much comment about whether Charles and Camilla should attend; I'm glad that they didn't, it would have felt so wrong.

And I don't care what anyone says about them, Take That are still great live..........
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Janet

• Boyar
  • There is nothing like a Dame ... of the Thistle
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 03, 2007, 11:37:08 AM »
   Lily Allen was great.   
tsaria

I watched the entire concert on VH1.  It seemed a great success.
I wasn't familiar with Lily Allen, but I really liked her songs and performance.  So I looked her up at Google...wow, she has had quite a life, and has no qualms about freely speaking her mind!  :D

I liked that the Princes said in their closing comments that they wanted to carry on the work of both their parents.

The final childhood film clips were nice.  Are they the same ones that play at her memorial exhibition at Althorp?

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #188 on: July 03, 2007, 11:48:28 AM »
I thought that song that Nelly sing was wonderful I liked her music but I also like Anastacia too and Fergie song glamerous, but I did not like what Fergie was wearing  Elton was good also with the piano and singing. I also seen it on VH1 wonderful concert so many people. I notice in some of the photos from the previous posts Harry was kissing Chelsea !

Another picture after the concert:

« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 11:53:20 AM by Elizabeth~Princess »

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 03, 2007, 01:00:41 PM »
Having only dealt with the 'performance' element of the concert - most of the 'Diana and Me' inserts were extremely moving.   The depth and breadth of the late Princess's commitment was astonishing.  Thorpe Park was almost too painful to watch.

Of course the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall could not have been there.   THAT would have been impossible for everyone.   I wonder if they even watched the transmission.   If they did - and all the others in and associated with the Court who made that young woman's life nightmarish - I hope they might by now realise what a treasure she was and perhaps begin to understand the world wide adoration and adulation she received AND the reasons why.

They kept the best for last.   The films of Diana as a baby, into her childhood and early teens really defy description.

tsaria

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #190 on: July 03, 2007, 02:40:39 PM »
You know the Princes really looked as though they were having a good time.......and not in a forced or fake way either.  It was really nice to see. 

And I don't care what anyone says about them, Take That are still great live..........

I loved Take That. Back for Good is actually on my music download list. I really enjoyed their newer songs and so did my Katie who couldn't believe that Back for Good was 'so old'!  ::) I thought they, perhaps more than almost anyone, connected with the audience who seemed really into the songs and performances. Josh Groban has a wonderful voice and, as I said earlier, Memories is one of my favorite songs--and I'm not a big Andrew Lloyd Webber fan in general. Bob was mostly impressed with how far Rod Stewart could kick a soccer ball.  ::) He also enjoyed Ricky Gervais (at least the actual scripted part!) since we both enjoy Extras. Having him caught in the embarrassing position of filling for time and getting obviously flustered was something you could see happening to his hapless Andy Millman.

I also thought that William & Harry looked like they were really having a good time and seemed relaxed and happy. Except for the technical glitch at the end, the concert went off surprisingly well and they were blessed with the weather. A commentator here said that, given the scope of the event and its scheduled running time, the fact that it only went about 30 mins over was remarkable and they ought to be put in charge of our Academy Awards ceremony which routinely runs 30-60 mins over its scheduled time and is less complicated.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 02:45:58 PM by grandduchessella »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #191 on: July 03, 2007, 03:54:17 PM »
 It was obvious from word 'Go' that Sir Elton John was not a happy man.   By the end, he barely concealed his fury and its probably just as well there was no time for 'Crocodile Rock' because the crocodile might just have snapped.
tsaria

This might explain it (from a gossip site):

"Elton John acted like a complete diva the other night when a police officer told him would have to walk 50 yards to his dressing room because The Princes were coming according to Daily Mail. When the police officer told him that he would have to walk he said, "Get out of my ****ing way. Don't you know who I am? I've been working all ****ing day and I need to get to my ****ing dressing room." The officer knows who is boss really is and didn't care who Elton was. ...Here is how a source described the incident:

Our man among the crowd of 100 who were watching said: "The princes were due at any time and the police were getting pretty jittery.  "Elton pulled up in the back of a people carrier. A policeman stepped into the middle of the road to stop the car and he said to the driver, "Sorry you can't come in here at this point.  "You'll have to drive round the back or park up and wait five minutes". The driver then said, "I have an important artist in the back who needs to get to his dressing room".  "The policeman said, 'I don't care who's in the car, you cannot drive down this road right now". "At that point, Elton wound down the window and screamed at him. "The policeman calmly said to him, 'Sorry but you are not going in this road. You have to get out and walk from here or take a drive around the block. We're waiting for the princes, who are coming through here any minute'. "Elton started ranting and swearing again. He just lost it and instructed his driver to drive around the policeman.  "The driver started to move and at that point, the policeman stood in front of the car gesturing to put his hands on the bonnet. The policeman was saying to the driver, 'Stop there or you'll be arrested'. "Sir Elton wound his window back up as he realised photographers were starting to congregate. "His security guard started reasoning with the policeman, saying they needed to get him in there right away but the policeman would not budge. "Then at that point, Elton jumps out of the back of the car, stomps round to the front and barges through to get into the backstage compound. He stomped down the road shouting at people to 'get out of my way'."

Elton blamed it on a long day and technical difficulties, but let's be real we are talking Elton John and he is the biggest Diva of them all! I wonder if he was mad at The Princes because they said Duran Duran was her favorite band? "

Still, the lovely opening to Your Song (one of my favorite songs) with the gorgeous Mario Testino photos of Diana can compensate for a good deal.  :)
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 03, 2007, 05:26:19 PM »
I didn't watch the whole concert but I did see excerpts, including what the two princes had to say.

I'm glad the concert seemed to be a success - it appeared the sons of Diana did a good job here organizing this commemoration to their mother and they raised a lot of money for her charities at the same time.

But it seems to me imperative that William gets some professional training in public speaking as soon as possible.  Looking at a card in one's hand without barely delivering a sentence without doing so does not look good for anyone who must become accomplished in this area and should be now, at the age of 25.  This is the future King of England!  I was quite taken aback by this.  :o

Offline Noelle Royale

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 03, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »
The concert was nice I think.I watched the whole thing.And it made me happy,as an American,that some of the celebrities performing from the States,that I learned to dislike,were actually nice and had really sweet things to say about the Princess.I agree with Grace and the others.The Royal Princes seem to need a little more training in public speaking.But then again their dear mother had a similar problem when she was at that age about public speaking.Watching the whole thing it made me more nostalgic about the Princess and the possiblity of what could have been.I know many here might not agree,but Diana was an asset.With her popularity and the affection she was held, it would have strengthened the Monarchy. Not weaken it.Very similar to that of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother in her time.

Offline aussiechick12

• Graf
  • .Darling Diana.
    • View Profile
    • Tatiana Romanova
« Reply #194 on: July 03, 2007, 08:42:35 PM »
I completley agree, Grace! I was shocked by William's public speaking skills as well. I am sure he could have made something up on the stage, or at least memorised the speech, instead of relying on a card. I was also suprised that Harry did this aswell. This was a concert going to be shown all over the world, and even if people didn't watch the concert I know that the speech's would have been shown on the news, as it was on our news. Many people would have been slightly taken aback when they saw this.
Aside from that, I thought the concert was brilliant and I loved seeing William dance! He suddenly seemed so human to me, same with Harry. I think that the concert did a lot for not only Diana's memory, but for the way that the prince's will be seen now, and in many years to come.
I loved the English Ballet the best! I thought it was spectacular, I am very glad they agreed to perform. I didn't like the fact that in Australia (I'm not sure what happened in other countries coverage) we only got to see some of the concert, about 3 hours of it. How long did it actually go for?
I look forward to watching my tape of it many times!  :D
"Cameo like profile . . . a lovely rose maiden and as pure as flower" - Lili Dehn on Tatiana.
www.tatianaromanova.piczo.com