Author Topic: Diana Memorial Service and Concert, 2007  (Read 84169 times)

Olishka~ Pincess

Re: Diana Memorial Service and Concert, 2007
« Reply #195 on: July 03, 2007, 09:39:16 PM »
I completley agree, Grace! I was shocked by William's public speaking skills as well. I am sure he could have made something up on the stage, or at least memorised the speech, instead of relying on a card. I was also suprised that Harry did this aswell. This was a concert going to be shown all over the world, and even if people didn't watch the concert I know that the speech's would have been shown on the news, as it was on our news. Many people would have been slightly taken aback when they saw this.
Aside from that, I thought the concert was brilliant and I loved seeing William dance! He suddenly seemed so human to me, same with Harry. I think that the concert did a lot for not only Diana's memory, but for the way that the prince's will be seen now, and in many years to come.
I loved the English Ballet the best! I thought it was spectacular, I am very glad they agreed to perform. I didn't like the fact that in Australia (I'm not sure what happened in other countries coverage) we only got to see some of the concert, about 3 hours of it. How long did it actually go for?
I look forward to watching my tape of it many times!  :D

Yes.The concert actually lasted for 6 hours and 15 minutes. When I saw Prince William while on stage he did sound nervous and he does need to work on his speaking skills especialy in front of a crowd where there is thousands of people. Yes I agree what good does flash cards in you hands do he should have had his own speech organized first or make up someting like aussiechick12 said. I loved the concert it was good.

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 04, 2007, 06:46:49 AM »
To return to Sir Elton John for a moment - I adore Elton John.   His live concerts are virtually unbeatable - although Paul Simon would come close.   

I think people who possess such creativity and such talent are entitled to be 'divas' - that's part of the package.

tsaria

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 04, 2007, 06:59:00 AM »
To return to Sir Elton John for a moment - I adore Elton John.   His live concerts are virtually unbeatable - although Paul Simon would come close.   

I think people who possess such creativity and such talent are entitled to be 'divas' - that's part of the package.

tsaria

Hmmmm........I see what you mean.  However Tsaria, you and I have both worked with creative people in our careers and I am sure that you will agree with me that the most truly creative people who are happy with their talents and personae are usually the ones who make the least fuss.....I truly know what the word 'diva' means and I've met more of them than most people have had hot dinners; Elton's behaviour was naughty and very divaish........

I love his music but think that if he truly thinks that everyone has forgotten that he wears a wig (however good they are, and they are good!), he should think again.......and that last outfit was simply absurd......... ;)
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 04, 2007, 07:56:56 AM »
Oh yes, Martyn, there are divas... and there are divas.   You have suffered more than your fair share, I am sure.   In the world of opera it is almost a prerequisite.   And in your job - having to make them look good, I'll bet that can be nightmarish.   It will be a bit like Drama Department in the BBC.   If we ran over budget - heads could roll.   If Drama ran over budget... 'Well, it's drama....'   So yes, I think some of these 'creative' people do assume rather too much.

Its easy to forget that Elton John and the late Diana, Princess of Wales had a monumental fall out and it wasn't until the funeral of Gianni Versace - tragically only weeks before her own - that the two 'made up'.

However, I do forgive Elton.   Incidentally, I actually thought that was a hair transplant.   Did that fail?   If it is a 'rug'... boy its a fantastic one.   Why does he not just put his baldness down to excess testosterone and be done with it?

I agree about the outfit.    Do you think he forgot to change after his White Tie and Tiara Ball?   His shape simple does not suit a tail coat.   Perhaps the rather exaggerated lily on the sleeve was meant as a distraction.   Elton has an unfortunate shape, stance and walk, but NOTHING can take away from his genius so far as I am concerned.

tsaria

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #199 on: July 04, 2007, 08:07:10 AM »

Prince William and Harry notice in this photo they are using cards on their rehersal speech.

More photos after the concert:

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 04, 2007, 10:49:57 AM »
Oh yes, Martyn, there are divas... and there are divas.   You have suffered more than your fair share, I am sure.   In the world of opera it is almost a prerequisite.   And in your job - having to make them look good, I'll bet that can be nightmarish.   It will be a bit like Drama Department in the BBC.   If we ran over budget - heads could roll.   If Drama ran over budget... 'Well, it's drama....'   So yes, I think some of these 'creative' people do assume rather too much.

Oh yes.  Fair share does not come into it!  ;)

Its easy to forget that Elton John and the late Diana, Princess of Wales had a monumental fall out and it wasn't until the funeral of Gianni Versace - tragically only weeks before her own - that the two 'made up'.

That's true.  Elton wasn't the only victim of Diana's disfavour, but it did seem a shame that it happened.  I do suspect that the Princess and Elton were perhaps just as prickly as each other on occasion.  However, the sight of Diana publicly comforting Elton at the funeral is a tribute to her capacity for comforting and empathising, not to mention the ability to kiss and make up, even if the occasion was a tragic one.

However, I do forgive Elton.   Incidentally, I actually thought that was a hair transplant.   Did that fail?   If it is a 'rug'... boy its a fantastic one.   Why does he not just put his baldness down to excess testosterone and be done with it?

In my professional opinion it is a 'rug'.  It's good I agree, but then he can afford it.  Real hair, hand-knotted, on a made to measure foundation and film quality....got to be.

I agree about the outfit.    Do you think he forgot to change after his White Tie and Tiara Ball?   His shape simple does not suit a tail coat.   Perhaps the rather exaggerated lily on the sleeve was meant as a distraction.   Elton has an unfortunate shape, stance and walk, but NOTHING can take away from his genius so far as I am concerned.

tsaria

The outfit was terrible and made him look shorter and fatter than he actually is.  It looked like a sort of Chaplinesque clown costume and the insertions in the body of the tailcoat looked like it had been let out rather unsuccessfully, due to weight gain........ ;)

Still, as regards to talent and ability, I'm right with you.  When you think about how old 'Are you ready for love' was - still sounds great and a big fat hit for him, thirty years after he first wrote it..........
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #201 on: July 04, 2007, 03:44:02 PM »
I love Elton John and I have ever since I was in kindergarten and he was on the first episode of the Muppet Show!  :D He was in his really flashy stage--with the sequins and large glasses and feather boas--and I thought he was so great. (I loved flash when I was a little girl.  ;) ) He sang a few songs, Crocodile Rock and Don't Go Breaking My Heart (with Miss Piggy!) amongst them. You can get the episodes now on DVD. I saw him in concert, with Billy Joel, years ago. Great show!

« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 03:47:54 PM by grandduchessella »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 04, 2007, 05:06:15 PM »
Yes... Elton John is, in the truest sense, a STAR.   There is no doubt you get real value for money at one of his concerts.

tsaria

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 04, 2007, 05:22:35 PM »
How old is Sir Elton?

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #204 on: July 04, 2007, 09:02:52 PM »
How old is Sir Elton?

TampaBay
He is 60 years old ! WOW ! He has been a excellent singer and piano player for a long time I also like Elton too! :)

Offline FaithWhiteRose

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 05, 2007, 02:03:59 PM »
i'm gonna be embarrased to admit this, but i MISSED the concert  :(... oh well . . . i have youtube  ;)

Offline emeraldeyes

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Where were you/What were you doing when you heard Diana had died?
« Reply #206 on: August 30, 2007, 08:39:44 AM »
This is not meant to be in bad taste, but I was just wondering if people remembered where they were or what they were doing when they heard the news.  Just like when JFK and John Lennon died, I'm sure many of us can recall the moment we got the news.

My husband and I were in line at Blockbuster Video and they had their televisions tuned to CNN.  At that time, the news was only that Diana had been injured in a car accident.  We went home and turned CNN on and watched for a while, but as there seemed to be no further news forthcoming, we decided to go ahead and watch a movie.  By the time we checked in again, the news had changed and the princess had died.

Anyone else care to share?

An intelligent Hell would be better than a stupid paradise.  - Victor Hugo

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Where were you/What were you doing when you heard Diana had died?
« Reply #207 on: August 30, 2007, 08:54:48 AM »
I was a child and I just came back from my vacation in London to prepare for going to school in september(in our country it startes on september the first)...I have heard the news when i came home!At that time I was not much interested in royalty so I didn't follow all the coverage concerning her death!

Offline Ra-Ra-Rasputin

• Knyaz
  • Another Anastasia claimant; the ears match exactly
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 30, 2007, 09:16:42 AM »
I was 11, and staying over at a friend's house. It was the last week of the summer holidays before going back to school. As we were having a sleepover, we stayed up and watched tv all night (what else do little girls do at sleepovers?!) and the news flashed up on the screen. We knew in the early hours of the morning.

I was 11. I wasn't particularly upset about it as I'd never met her and she didn't really figure in the daily activities of my life. My parents thought the excessive coverage of the news was highly unnecessary and inconvenient. My dad was particularly annoyed as a sports event he wanted to watch got bumped for the news.

Just as an aside, for those not in the UK, I know much was and is still being said about the 'national' outpouring of grief at the time, but in my experience, it didn't really have that much of an effect on people. I would say a minority were emotionally affected. Most were just annoyed by all the press attention as it meant a disruption to the usual services. Don't mess with a Brit and their television schedule! We run to clockwork here..

Rachel
xx
'History teaches that history teaches us nothing' ~ Hegel

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 30, 2007, 10:50:43 AM »
I was helping prepare a barbeque in a forest which was part of the Buxhoeveden estate.   One of our friends who drove out from St Petersburg, jumped out of his car, and despite having no English, shouted 'Lady Diana dead'.   He drew a plan as he understood the sequence of events - blaming the paparazzi.   My instinctive thought - shared by my husband and expressed at exactly the same moment - 'She was murdered'.   I no longer believe that.   There is a beautiful little Russian church on the estate which Father Gennady of St Sophia Cathedral had recently reconsecrated.   There were icons, icon lamps and candles.    I went in there, lit candles, placed them before specifically chosen icons, prayed and remained - alone - in there for a considerable period of time.   I felt really isolated from my country and it was impossible to take it in since communication with Russia then was not what it is today.

I returned home the following Friday - the day before the funeral.   It was 10.00p.m. when I managed to find a deli which had a very basic selection of flowers.   I drove into the city centre.   The whole of George Square - the heart of our city - was covered with flowers, candles, photographs of Diana and little shrines with rather distressed people of every colour and creed kneeling before them.   I'll never forget the weight behind the wall of scent which struck me as I crossed the road to place my little bunch of, rather wilted, white rosebuds.   Then I went to the City Chambers and joined the queue which wound its way up the beautiful marble staircase (modelled on the Jordan Staircase in the Winter Palace) and into the Satinwood Suite.   This was empty apart from five sofa tables.   On each table was a different photograph in a silver frame and alongside a simple, white, floral arrangement.   The condolence book and a pen were the only other items on the table.   At each table was a Chippendale-style side chair where one could sit to write your name, message or whatever.     The whole thing was done with such taste and dignity, I couldn't believe my local authority was capable of producing the likes.

tsaria