Author Topic: Diana Memorial Service and Concert, 2007  (Read 82191 times)

Offline Lolita

• Who was once known as I_LOVE_OTMA
    • View Profile
Re: Where were you/What were you doing when you heard Diana had died?
« Reply #285 on: September 19, 2007, 02:37:39 PM »
I was two years years old during the time but luckily,my sister told me her expierience on the story

She said she was watching Saturday Night Live(for those who don't know,it's a late night comedy show in America,think of mthony python, but in america)and the show was interuppted by the news she was in a car crash,injured.My sister said she was upset and thought "Hello!This is America".Then,later on,it was reported she was dead.

Offline Tdora1

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 25, 2007, 05:59:34 AM »
On an early-morning Silja Line car ferry sailing from Stockholm to Helsinki. The attendant who boarded me saw my British numberplate and told me the news. Shock doesn't describe it: I'd spent the previous evening near the Stockholm Palace railing at a friend about Diana's antics in the Med with Dodi and how would her sons feel going to back to school with her cooperation in having it plastered all over the tabloids. Her tragic death in no way altered my long-held negative perception of her but even though I was out of the UK the coverage made me realise that any who may have shared my feelings were keeping a very low profile. The funeral I saw bits of while driving towards Rovaniemi on the Arctic Circle - it was playing on TV at every roadside stop. Alas I did catch Earl Spencer's eulogy which made me cringe. I also found the scenes of the Queen of England having to be subject to the showbiz ersatz emofest of the Elton John bits, for example, most upsetting. I hated the way she was vilified for simply trying to look after her family - her teenage grandsons' mother was dead, dammit. To whom did Diana's death seem to really matter the most? Not to her kids, oh no, but instead to the instantly-needy, mass-blubbering, petrol-station-bouquet-laying public. I was so glad to be heading towards the people-sparse Lapland that week. 10 years on all I can think is still - those poor bewildered little lads.
Acts of injustice done
Between the setting and the rising sun
In history lie like bones, each one.

W.H. Auden The Ascent of F6

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 05, 2008, 01:31:47 PM »
Great idea for a thread! More people should post.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 07, 2008, 02:29:55 PM »
I recieved a call from Hong Kong that told me that Diana had died. I thought it was a sick joke, and was actually in San Fransisco vactioning. I open the TV and saw the wreck in Paris via CNN. My mind went blank...

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 08, 2008, 01:04:09 PM »
On an early-morning Silja Line car ferry sailing from Stockholm to Helsinki. The attendant who boarded me saw my British numberplate and told me the news. Shock doesn't describe it: I'd spent the previous evening near the Stockholm Palace railing at a friend about Diana's antics in the Med with Dodi and how would her sons feel going to back to school with her cooperation in having it plastered all over the tabloids. Her tragic death in no way altered my long-held negative perception of her but even though I was out of the UK the coverage made me realise that any who may have shared my feelings were keeping a very low profile. The funeral I saw bits of while driving towards Rovaniemi on the Arctic Circle - it was playing on TV at every roadside stop. Alas I did catch Earl Spencer's eulogy which made me cringe. I also found the scenes of the Queen of England having to be subject to the showbiz ersatz emofest of the Elton John bits, for example, most upsetting. I hated the way she was vilified for simply trying to look after her family - her teenage grandsons' mother was dead, dammit. To whom did Diana's death seem to really matter the most? Not to her kids, oh no, but instead to the instantly-needy, mass-blubbering, petrol-station-bouquet-laying public. I was so glad to be heading towards the people-sparse Lapland that week. 10 years on all I can think is still - those poor bewildered little lads.
I agree exactly with you in my disgust of how our Queen was treated in the days after Diana's death.Thankfully time has put HM actions in perspective...and shown several people applauded at the time of Diana's death to be nothing more than hypocrites!
I was at home near Lancaster.I had had not heard the news of the crash as having had a very early start that Saturday I had gone to bed early.I awoke early on the Sunday and decided to watch a TV programme I had taped..as I turned on the TV a negress her  face contorted by grief was been filmed laying flowers outside Kensington Palace and the story unfolded.I felt very sorry that a young life had been extinguished in such a tragic way (indeed I felt sorry for the other victims) but to be candid Diana had laid down with dogs when she began her association with the Fayed duo..sadly she came up with more than fleas..it cost her...her life.

Offline Adagietto

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 08, 2008, 05:48:22 PM »
I can't remember, but I do recollect that I was glad to have to leave London a few days later to go abroad,and so get away from the febrile atmosphere that developed; a bizarre period.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 08, 2008, 06:59:12 PM »
Yes a sad and chaotic period !

Offline Prince_Christopher

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 16, 2008, 07:57:39 AM »
I was in the living room of my mother's home, having recently moved in with her to help her with her cancer.  My mother, grandmother, and I were up rather late, just talking and watching television when the news flashed that she had been in an accident.  A few minutes later, we were told by a newscaster that "the princess has died."  I will never forget those words and the shock we all felt.  I worked with a friend who was a big follower of Diana and for the next several days we watched all the developments on a TV at work.  Later, my friend and I and some others gathered to watch the funeral.
Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
  • Your Memory Keeps Me Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 16, 2008, 08:28:02 AM »
I was only a kid at the time but my mother was a Diana-suporter from the start, and she gave that on to me. That sunday-morning I turned on the television to watch a show I watched when I was younger and I saw Images of Diana flashing over the screen so I started to watch and got that she had an accident, I went up to wake up my mom and when she got downstairs we heard that she had died. My mom and I both were quite upset during that week, I remember going to school the next day and while most kids were playing during break I sat there most of the time. It just got me, I was only 6 at the time, but I was sad. The next Saturday my mom and I watched the funeral, I didn't understand much at the time but I did feel  horrible, sad and emotional. I remember that my mom started crying quite soon after the start of the service and a little later I did too.

When I grew older I began to understand why Diana was so loved and started to read everything I could, to get a better understanding on her life and death.  I remember that I actually persuaded my parents into buying the BC-recording of her funeral, the double-cd that was released shortly after it, Elton John's single and the BBC-documentary "Diana - A Celebration", in my eyes I kept Diana with me by doing that. I never met her but she just touched me, as many others. Also when I was younger I was interested in Royalty already(mostly because the beautiful palaces, gowns, and fairytale-stories - to me Diana was a fairytale-princess then - but later it grew into real interest)
Learn To Live With My Darker Side

Offline emeraldeyes

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 16, 2008, 08:46:28 PM »
I was in London in September - the scene at the Kensington Palace gates:

An intelligent Hell would be better than a stupid paradise.  - Victor Hugo

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 17, 2008, 10:54:42 AM »
i remember those events as if yesterday...

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 20, 2008, 05:44:45 PM »
I was at the seaside with my parents...remember that for sure!

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 21, 2008, 10:22:52 AM »
Indeed...Just like a previous generation (Where were you when Kennedy was shot ?). It will take a long time to forget.

Offline boleynfan

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 21, 2008, 03:31:47 PM »
I was at home when I heard the news.

What I remember even more vividly was the day of her funeral.  My friend and I had tickets to see "The Jewels of the Tsars" exhibit in San Diego.  We left LA in the still dark early morning to drive down.  I will never forget how many homes we drove past where we saw the TVs on in those predawn hours, up to watch the services on Saturday morning.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 24, 2008, 09:35:55 AM »
Yes...It was asad furneral. I almost lost it when I saw Harry's message of "Mummy" on the wreath...