The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
December 21, 2014, 05:46:19 AM
462913 Posts in 9007 Topics by 14527 Members
Latest Member: Scamall
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty
| |-+  The Tudors (Moderators: Kimberly, Prince_Lieven, BobAtchison, Forum Admin)
| | |-+  Did Elizabeth I ever really intend to marry Alencon?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author
Topic: Did Elizabeth I ever really intend to marry Alencon?  (Read 2845 times)
« on: November 29, 2006, 08:49:18 AM »
imperial angel Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

I  know it is likely that Elizabeth I did not entertain the idea of marriage with anybody, but her last courtship if you will, was with this son of Catherine de Medici. I believe he was the only one of her foreign suitors to ever visit England. This was when she was in 40s, at the very end of any hope she could have an heir if she married. Some people assert that she knew this was her last chance for marriage and motherhood, and seemed to consider it.. he was hard to get rid of, but then like to keep him dangling. But, she liked to do that with all of them, didn't she?  Wink Did you think it ever crossed her mind to marry him, seriously?
Reply #1
« on: November 30, 2006, 02:17:57 AM »
ilyala Offline
Velikye Knyaz
il y a Posts: 2071

View Profile

maybe in the back of her mind she knew it would never happen. but also, maybe she let herself be entertained with the idea of being a normal woman (as normal women were perceived in those days), with a loving husband and some children. after all, i haven't met any woman that wasn't at least once attracted to this old-fashioned image, no matter how much the woman has evolved in these days. but i think that she knew that it was just a fantasy and that in the end it was kind of late anyway.

and also i'm sure she must have been very much aware of the age difference.

'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya

Reply #2
« on: November 30, 2006, 10:09:58 AM »
imperial angel Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

I think it did cross her mind to marry him, as it seemed she might have been having second thoughts about not having marriage and children. I think she might have been more attracted to him than to some others, because she met him in person, whereas the others were known only portraits and reports. But, she must have thought she was crazy to think that, because it would have been very bad judgement. She didn't so much keep him dangling because she wanted to, but because she could not make up her mind. In the end, time sort of made the choice for her. But, indeed Leicester was most likely the only man she ever seriously wanted to marry, not that I believe she ever considered it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: