Author Topic: The Bablovo Palace, Tsarskoe Selo  (Read 37308 times)

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I am he, who will bell the cat
    • View Profile
The Bablovo Palace, Tsarskoe Selo
« on: December 18, 2006, 04:18:37 PM »
Does anyone have any info on the "little palace"? It's in the Boblovo Park next to the main imperial parks. It's really a kind of gothic bathing pavilion built by Potemkin to entertain his friend, Catharine the Great. It's a ruin, but there is still the large circular granite bath!

The park is full of interesting bridges, but rather off the beaten track. There are, I believe, almhouses which were built by Alexandra Feodorovna for disabled soldiers. I can only imagine this was after the Japanese war. Anyone know more?
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after tomorrow. (Mark Twain)

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: The Bablovo Palace, Peterhof
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 10:58:12 AM »
I've been finding out more about this park! It's actually quite iinteresting! I spelt it wrong in the first post- it's the Bavbolovskoye or Babolovo estate. It is opposite the main gates to the west of the Catherine Park.

Catherine laid out the estate when the water supply was being constructed for Tsarskoye selo in the 1770s There's still the canal which brought the water from a spring 15 versts from the palace. The canal was underground until it reached the western end of the Babolovo Park after which it was above ground and landscaped in the English manner. Catherine gave the estate to her lover Gregori Potemkin, and he built a kind of pleasure pavilion or spa at the point where the underground tunnel and the fresh spring water came out into the open. It was very healthy to go and take the water there - and he no doubt entertained the Empress there on several occasions!!

Later the property reverted to the imperial family - maybe it was bequeathed by Potemkin to Catherine? Alexander I installed a vast granite bath in the pavilion which became known as the little palace, or Bablovo palace. It is now a ruin but the huge bath is still there! ther are also alms houses which were built by Alexandra Feodorovna for lame soldiers. I'm guessing this was the wife of Nicholas I - but I'm not sure about this.....

Has anyone visited this park? I believe that Nicholas II used to go there for his famous "long walks".

Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after tomorrow. (Mark Twain)

Offline ipflo

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 01:29:45 PM »
There is also some info on the bablovo palace on the main site itself: http://www.alexanderpalace.org/tsarskoe/parkhospital.html

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 02:00:12 PM »
 Thanks, Ipflo - so the alms houses were built by "our" Alexandra Feodorovna! I had forgotten that it could have been for wounded soldiers of the Japanese War. Do they still exist?

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 06:02:03 PM »
Yes.   It is now the Turner Paediatric and Traumatology Institute.    A very remarkable place.   A place where miracles are made.   For almost fifteen years we have had the privilege of getting to know the staff and a number of the patients.   The nature of their illness means they require prolonged hospitalisation.   During those years, we have been sending humanitarian and medical aid to the Turner.   Professor Pozdenikin and his team are absolutely amazing, selfless people.

As a matter of interest, it was at what is now the Turner that Alexandra Feodorovna introduced, for the first time to Russia, the concept of convalescence and rehabilitation.   There are spacious grounds around the hospital (actually a series of buildings some of which are exceedingly dangerous.   The most dangerous are occupied by children suffering from cerebral palsy).   It was here that Alexandra instructed imperial gardeners to teach ambulant patients how to tend the gardens.   They grew vegetables and flowers.   Apart from the therapy, there were the added advantages that the vegetables and fruit were consumed in the hospital while the flowers brought pleasure to those still incapacitated and bedbound.

Could you please let me know where you learned about this Bell?

tsaria

Offline pastpalacelife

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 12:11:36 AM »
Has anyone seen any of the work going on in the Bablova Park with the new golf course?  From what I have read, the Boblova Palace will be inside the boundries of the golf course.  It seems awfully close to the Catherine and Alexander Parks to me.

Offline Joanna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Winter Palace Research
    • View Profile
    • Winter Palace Research
Re: The Bablovo Palace, Tsarskoe Selo
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 02:21:09 PM »
Can anyone help to identify if the photo in this article is of Babolov Palace? At first when translating, I made a mistake thinking that the Gothic castle of Prince Potemkin that they were referring to was Babolov and I was intrigued to know that various persons such as Baron Wrangel, N. Roerich, had lived there c1900s. Rereading the article, I now realize that there is another "Potemkin castle" among the Neva islands that had been in ruins from WWII. Yet I think the photo is of Babolov. Does anyone know what the name of the island with the ruins? Is it near Yelagin?

http://vsev.net/history/bilding/ostrovki?PHPSESSID=4225f452d47bb20b1bc77169adbda84a

Tracy,
Babolov palace may very well be incorporated into the gold course - probably restored in pavilion style. The Babolov park from Krasnoeselskoe Shosse to the Alexander Gate is densely treed along Volhonskoe. The only possible area would be in the western part which contains the palace ruins. Once passed the turnoff to the ruins from Babolovskoe Road where NII used to walk the paths, the area is wide open. All along Krasnoeselskoe is major building of highrise condos/apartments. The west and south towards Kazan Cemetery is prime acreage. The Volhonskoe Shosse is the barrier between development and the AP Park and to the south Catherine Park.

Joanna

Joanna

Offline Vladimir_V.

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 09:45:27 AM »
Dear Joanna

“Ostrowki” (in English “Islands”) – it is a name of a village, where Potemkin had a palace. You can see this palace on the photo. The author of the paper wrote that the architecture of this palace close to the architecture of the Babolovsky Palace in Tsarskoe Selo.

Osrtowki (Islands) village is on the right side of the Neva rive between St.Petersburg and Slusselburg (20km from Tsarskoe Selo)
See this map: http://www.aroundspb.ru/maps/history/1925_ingria_est1.jpg

Offline Alexandre Mikhaelovitch

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • Royal Russia
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 06:33:23 PM »
News about the Bablovo palace and park in Tsarskoďe Selo , from Paul Gilbert's site , Royal Russia :

Babolovsky Park to be Transferred to Tsarskoye Selo Administration

See here for more information : http://www.angelfire.com/pa/ImperialRussian/blog/index.blog/1452745/babolovsky-park-to-be-transferred-to-tsarskoye-selo-administration/