Author Topic: Russian Revolution  (Read 1272 times)

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
Russian Revolution
« on: December 31, 2006, 11:40:58 AM »
I am interested in picking up some good books about the Russian Revolution. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you,
Lexi
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Offline Ra-Ra-Rasputin

• Knyaz
  • Another Anastasia claimant; the ears match exactly
    • View Profile
Re: Russian Revolution
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 12:04:35 PM »
Orlando Figes, 'A People's Tragedy' is the best I've read.  It's a real doorstop of a book but absolutely fascinating.  I love Orlando Figes.

Rachel
xx
'History teaches that history teaches us nothing' ~ Hegel

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 12:22:27 PM »
Thank you Rachel. I will start there.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Offline historylover

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Writer and Editor
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 02:07:45 AM »
I read Richard Pipes's history of the Russian Revolution but it was very long and I also found it extremely heavy-going.  Richard Pipes is right-wing and Orlando Figes writes from the opposite point of view, I believe.  I am also going to read his history when I have time.

I am more interested in reading actual eye-witness accounts.  Can anyone recommend some, please?

Best Regards,

Lisa
www.webwritereditor.com
www.bookaddiction.blogspot.com