Author Topic: Shoulder board button sizes very confusing please help  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Jason McCallister

• View Profile
Shoulder board button sizes very confusing please help
« on: December 18, 2006, 07:30:52 AM »
Hello,

Will somebody please tell me the correct sizes that buttons were supposed to be on Imperial Russian shoulder boards ? I've seen big buttons on them and small buttons and medium sized buttons,  I don't understand which sizes should be used It's very confusing. Were there official authorized sizes for buttons used on shoulder boards as well as uniforms, hats, etc. ?

Many thanks,
Jason Mccallister
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 07:53:46 AM by Jason McCallister »

Offline mack

• View Profile
Re: Shoulder board button sizes very confusing please help
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 10:36:08 AM »
Hello Jason,

I am not sure about these sizes but I got this list of
button sizes somewhere I can't remember where it
came from. If the sizes on this list are wrong maybe
another member can give you the correct sizes.

Button Sizes:

Shoulder board buttons  . . . . . . . . 14mm to 18mm

Epaulette buttons  . . . . . . . . . . . . 14mm to 18mm

Coat/Tunic buttons  . . . . . . . . . . . 18mm to 24mm

Shirt/Gymnasterka buttons . . . . . . 12mm to 16mm

Visor cap chin strap buttons . . . . . 12mm to 16mm

Coat collar tab buttons  . . . . . . . . 12mm to 16mm

Cuff buttons   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12mm to 16mm

I don't have any photos of buttons that you can use
compare sizes with.

Good luck,
Mack

Offline Daniel Briere

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 05:54:45 PM »
Yes they were regulations regarding button sizes but I canít find them right now. Regarding metal dress uniform buttons I have seen official early 20th century drawings showing 3 sizes : small, medium and large. Most of  the officersí shoulder boards and epaulettes buttons I have are 18 mm wide. Some older ones are 17 mm.  So buttons for shoulder boards would be medium size.

Oddly enough regarding enlisted men shoulder boards, official drawings (and many photos) show larger size buttons (seems like 22 cm uniform buttons). See for instance the attached drawing for Empress Maria Feodorovnaís Pskovsky Dragoons :

Iím not sure these regulations were always followed, especially during WWI. Apart from officers/enlisted men button size difference, variations you have seen could be explained by slight differences between various button makers, shortages of medium size buttons during the War, or lost of original buttons and replacements by wrong size ones.

Daniel Briere

Offline Jason McCallister

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 09:40:23 AM »
Thanks Daniel I appreciate the information and look forward to seeing the button size regulations when you find them, the list above that Mack posted do you think any of the button sizes are correct, he says they might not be right ?

Jason