Author Topic: Rasputin's devotees  (Read 11690 times)

Offline thedarkone

• View Profile
Rasputin's devotees
« on: January 05, 2007, 01:13:55 PM »
Does anyone know what happened to some of Rasputin's followers during and after the Revolution?  "The Rasputin File" by Edvard Radzinsky gives info on some of them, but he neglects a few important people such as:

Maria "Munya" Golovina
Akilina Laptinskaya
Georgy Sazonov
Leonid Molchanov
Baroness Kusova
Sheila Lunts (Protopopov's mistress)
Dmitry Rubinstein (the Jewish banker)
Alexei Filippov (his publisher)
Evdokia "Dunya" Pechyorkina (the live-in servant)
Ekaterina "Katya" Pechyorkina (her niece?)
and Anna Rasputin (his niece--and how exactly was she related to him?)

Rasputin's followers are such an interesting aspect of his life.  Radzinsky writes on page 498, "It would take a long time to exhaust the matyrology of Rasputin's friends who died from Bolshevik bullets" but I think he neglects some really important people. 

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
Re: Rasputin's devotees
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 09:47:03 AM »
I think we have talked about Munya Golovina before..she was on her mothers side a niece of Princess Paley...the trio Munya,her sister & their mother eventually made it to Paris..

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 03:35:38 PM »
Does anyone know what happened to some of Rasputin's followers during and after the Revolution?  "The Rasputin File" by Edvard Radzinsky gives info on some of them, but he neglects a few important people such as:
Akilina Laptinskaya

Rasputin's followers are such an interesting aspect of his life.  Radzinsky writes on page 498, "It would take a long time to exhaust the matyrology of Rasputin's friends who died from Bolshevik bullets" but I think he neglects some really important people. 
Lily Dehn described Akilina as Rasputin's  " âme damnée, the secret agent, under whose skilful tutelage Rasputin unconsciously played the well-planned game of the Revolutionaries."  [Ref: Lily Dehn, "The Real Tsaritsa", p. 113]

On 'The Empress Alexandra Fights Back' thread, it was asked whether there was  proof/evidence of Akilina Laptinskaya being an imposter Sister and being involved in a conspiracy. Lily Dehn understood that "despite her plotting and contriving, Akilina really had some affection for Rasputin, and she was occasionaly ashamed of her Judas-like role  (...)", but went on to say the following:
"Akilina nursed Anna at Tsarskoe Selo when she was ill with the measles, but on the second day of the Revolution she sent me a note, asking me to come over to the left wing of the palace. She  then informed me that Anna was delirious. "However, I can't do much for her. Will you tell Her Majesty that I must go into town for a day. I want to see Gregory's family." I promised to deliver the message, but we never saw Akilina again. A fortnight later we were told that she was living in the family of one of the most prominent Revolutionaries."   [Ref: Lily Dehn, "The Real Tsaritsa", p. 116]
 :-\
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 03:39:46 PM by Helen »
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"  -  http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=296&objk_
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"

Offline Terence

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 08:25:34 PM »
Thanks for that bit Helen.  This is an interesting avenue to investigate.

As far as Akilna L., I wonder if she was as much of an "agent"" as Dehn concluded.  People evolve, change and those were very turbulent times.  Was she a revolutionary when she was a devotee of Rasputin, part of some plot, hard to say, but intriguing.

T

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 02:06:17 AM »
As far as Akilna L., I wonder if she was as much of an "agent"" as Dehn concluded.  People evolve, change and those were very turbulent times.  Was she a revolutionary when she was a devotee of Rasputin, part of some plot, hard to say, but intriguing.
Yes, I agree. Lily Dehn's information is rather vague in that she did not say who this prominent revolutionary was or what had been the nature of contacts between Akilina and this revolutionary before the revolution. But then such information - if she had it - would have been outside the scope of her book.
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"  -  http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=296&objk_
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 05:54:00 PM »
Very cool! Where did you come across it?
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 08:24:54 PM »
Hello, Helen!  You might see my recent post #15, Imperial Russian Antiques / "Faberge's Beautiful Creations,"  for a few documented comments on the maker/firm of this frame.  I do believe it's an original photo of G. Rasputin, but the question to me is:  when and where did these two items meet, under what circumstances, and by whom?  (See other speculation/s I have as well.)  I have no facts on this photo, EXCEPT, there DOES exist a very few photos of G. Rasputin in a similiar outfit with some other men nearby (perhaps this photo here has been cropped?), taken on/close to a river bank, perhaps near his native home town area.  Thus, I have a tendency to see this present photo shows a river in the near background with the opposite bank and occasional trees/shrubs.  A "newer" pair of eyes may see it differently, and this is only my thought based on my recollection of the photos to which I earlier referred.  If I am in error, I will gladly stand corrected.     Regards,   AP
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 08:49:32 PM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Online brnbg aka: liljones1968

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 06:34:05 PM »
Very cool! Where did you come across it?

it's from the book: Splendori della Corte Degli Zar by Angelica Carpifave

"when i die, i hope i go like my grandfather --
peacefully in my sleep; not screaming & in terror,
like the passengers in his car."

-- anonymous

Online brnbg aka: liljones1968

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 06:49:45 PM »
Hello, Helen!  You might see my recent post #15, Imperial Russian Antiques / "Faberge's Beautiful Creations,"  for a few documented comments on the maker/firm of this frame.  I do believe it's an original photo of G. Rasputin, but the question to me is:  when and where did these two items meet, under what circumstances, and by whom?  (See other speculation/s I have as well.)  I have no facts on this photo, EXCEPT, there DOES exist a very few photos of G. Rasputin in a similiar outfit with some other men nearby (perhaps this photo here has been cropped?), taken on/close to a river bank, perhaps near his native home town area.  Thus, I have a tendency to see this present photo shows a river in the near background with the opposite bank and occasional trees/shrubs.  A "newer" pair of eyes may see it differently, and this is only my thought based on my recollection of the photos to which I earlier referred.  If I am in error, I will gladly stand corrected.     Regards,   AP

it's always looked to me like he was standing by, or on the bank of, a river, or perhaps by a lake (possibly one in the park by the AP?).    i probably shouldn't have said "apparently, this frame was created specifically for this foto", because my italian s**ks;  although that was the impression i got.     in hindsight however, it does seem unlikely the frame was made especially for the foto -- i say that because the more i think about it, the less likely it seems that this foto (or any foto) of Rasputin would have been given to Faberge (or any firm) for such a purpose.    it is possible, the necessary dimensions were given....but i agree, it does seem much more likely that this foto was cropped to fit the frame.

all the other info i provided comes directly from the book.

"when i die, i hope i go like my grandfather --
peacefully in my sleep; not screaming & in terror,
like the passengers in his car."

-- anonymous

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 07:56:25 PM »
Greetings, brnbg aka liljones1968, and thanks for your feed-back !  Best regards,  AP

Offline Ambreville

• View Profile
Q. re. Ignati Manus -- the financier
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 07:54:13 PM »
I'm writing a piece of fiction involving Ignati Manus, the financier friend of Rasputin. Does anyone know what Manus's address was, or where he held his parties on wednesday evenings? Thanks!

Offline rudy3

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: Q. re. Ignati Manus -- the financier
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 06:38:24 AM »
At the time of his arrest (July 4th, 1918), he lived at Ulitsa Sergievskaya, nr 17.

Offline Ambreville

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 07:54:11 AM »
Thanks for that! Is there information about the man and that place that I can access online? What does that place look like?

Offline rudy3

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 02:17:13 PM »
In 1923 the street was renamed after the composer Tchaikovsky. If the streetnumbers are the same, Hotel Neva is on Tchaikovsky nr 17. The building was partly rebuilt.