Author Topic: New and Interesting Link  (Read 2619 times)

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
    • Queen Victoria's Granddaughters
New and Interesting Link
« on: January 21, 2007, 12:04:32 PM »
...and mods, if I'm posting this in the wrong place, forgive me and move it!!!

Janet Ashton has put a website of interesting articles, reprinted (with permission of course) from various sources.  It's called www.directarticle.org.  Two more author pages are now visible featuring Gretchen Haskin, Katrina Warne, and myself.

Janet wrote: "Each author has two articles up: Gretchen's is her oft-requested two-part article on the affair and death of Nicholas Yusupov and his brother's role in it all; Katrina's are one of her popular and practical "Royal traveller" articles and another more descriptive article about Romanov sites in the Urals, both reprinted by permission of their original publishers. Ilana introduces some U.S. history to the site, with her account of the 1860 visit of the Prince of Wales, and we have also posted her article on William Howard Russell, the celebrated journalist on whom Ilana has also written a book.

Additionally, there is a new article on an existing author page:
"Resurrection of an imperial jewel" by Greg King, which is about the architecture and history of the Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow.

I hope all visitors will enjoy reading these seven excellent new additions."

Go visit and let Janet know what you think!!!

Ilana
So long and thanks for all the fish

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
Re: New and Interesting Link
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 05:02:54 AM »
The Directarticle.org website is currently having a revamp. Joe Fuhrmann has described it in his book's introduction as an important resource for Russian research, which I feel is in some ways a little too flattering considering that not all the material is very serious! Additionally, it has not been updated in ages (there are various hidden articles half-done) and looks old-fashioned. I considered leaving it where it was and starting afresh with a new website, but I like the name Directarticle and Joe has offered me some new material in the last few days, so a new, improved, slimmed-down site will shortly be revealed - with all original reserach and sourced material intact, but some of the less serious stuff such as my article on Cragside House removed. :-)

Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many; they are few.

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
Re: New and Interesting Link
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 05:31:14 AM »
PS Read now while you have the chance!

http://www.directarticle.org/Cragside_House.htm   for example. I did that one because I love the house, but I can't say there's anything new in the article, it's just for entertainment, so it has to go.....Which certainly isn't to say that the NEW version of the site will be dry and dull; it will just be based on more original research and bring more unique material that you can't see elsewhere.

Here's the front of the current site: -

www.directarticle.org
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many; they are few.