Author Topic: A Romanov Fantasy: Life at the Court of Anna Anderson  (Read 12456 times)

Offline helenrappaport

• View Profile
A Romanov Fantasy: Life at the Court of Anna Anderson
« on: January 26, 2007, 04:10:50 AM »
Dear Listers

You may know this already, but in case not, Frances Welch who wrote 'The Romanovs and Mr Gibbes' has a new book out here in UK in February about Anna Anderson, the Anastasia cliamant: 'A Romanov Fantasy: Life at the Court of Anna Anderson'  Here's the Amazon.co.uk. blurb:

"Did the 17-year-old Anastasia survive the massacre of the Russian Royal family in 1917? Over the years, the possibility that she, the youngest of the Tsar's four daughters, might have escaped, and the universal longing to salvage some thread of hope from the tragedy, provided a rich spawning ground for claimants. By far the best known of these was a mysterious young woman who was dragged from a canal in Berlin in 1922 after apparently attempting suicide. Throughout her bizarre life, Anna Anderson, as she came to call herself, attracted the most eclectic and outlandish of supporters - not only romantics and chancers (the Romanov fortune was assumed to be worth millions) but also surviving family members and grandees, like Sergei Rachmaninov. Among the many colourful characters who became entangled in this fantasy were Anastasia's childhood friend Gleb Botkin, the son of the Royal Family's doctor, and Prince Frederick of Saxe-Altenburg, a distant Romanov cousin who turned her claim into his life's work. Later disciples included Jack Manahan, an eccentric millionaire genealogist, 23 years her junior, who Anna was to marry aged 72. The fanatical commitment of Anna's followers surmounted innumerable obstacles, including a posthumous DNA test that revealed her as a fraud. But who was Anna Anderson - and how did she manage to convince so many people that she was the real Anastasia? A Romanov fantasy is a compelling, eerie and frequently hilarious study of discipleship, snobbery and life after death."

Romanov fiction fans may want to take a look at this curiosity:

Ted Willis 'The Buckingham Palace Connection' first published 1978, which is apparently a ' Romanov Siberian rescue' fiction. Willis was a long-standing TV scriptwriter, best known for  police series.  Looks to me like this was a quick commercial exercise on the back of Summer and Mangold.  I'm happy to check it out in the library here in Oxford if anyone wants to know more, but Amazon has lots of dirt cheap second hand copies.  All best, Helen

[edited to add title info to subject line]
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:51:31 AM by Sarushka »

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
Re: New Anastasia book ... and an old curiosity
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 06:08:12 AM »
You may know this already, but in case not, Frances Welch who wrote 'The Romanovs and Mr Gibbes' has a new book out here in UK in February about Anna Anderson, the Anastasia cliamant: 'A Romanov Fantasy: Life at the Court of Anna Anderson' 

All I can say is: why should Frances Welch bother?

This is a very tiresome tale that has re-surfaced to ignite a few curious admirers.

I for one will not indulge in this renewed fantasy.

Margarita
  >:(

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 11:12:32 AM »
There really doesn't need to be another book about Anna Anderson. She is such a sad story, although a rather entertaining one. I suppose that is why there are still books being published about her, although it is all rather sad. It is true that her supporters were outlandish, which says something about the nature of her claim, in my opinion. Like attracts like. ;)

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 11:48:34 AM »
Not ANOTHER book on this VERY tired subject? I have a feeling it may make it to the remainder  stacks in record time and then I  still will not buy it.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 04:54:50 PM »
Well I for one wouldn't mind an objective, unbiased, and accurate account of the Anna Anderson phenomenon, but waht are the odds??  ;)
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 05:23:32 PM »
Good Lord, not another one... ::)
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 07:26:28 PM »
It sounds like this book is different from the others written on the AA subject in the past. For one thing, it doesn't present her as real Anastasia, like Peter Kurth's and James Lovell's bios. For another, it is not a work of fiction like "City of Shadows". It sounds like it is just a study of the phenomenon of Anna Anderson and her loyal-to-the-point-of-irrationality "disciples"... no more... no less.

It may be an interesting read for those who are interested in this case (and judging by the popularity of the threads on this topic - there are plenty of them... even if they don't like to admit it  ;)).

Of course I doubt there will be anything in it that hasn't already been said on this forum   ;D.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 01:31:10 PM »
Let's hope so. I do think it might be a good idea to do a book that focuses on AA as AA, not as Anastasia. That is such a mistake. AA was entertaining enough in herself, without you having to call her Anastasia. She certainly was surrounded by characters, some who actually believed in her, others were about as crazy as her, and others who just wanted to join the circus surrounding her. It might be interesting reading about that circus. ;)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 02:08:34 PM »
Let's hope so. I do think it might be a good idea to do a book that focuses on AA as AA, not as Anastasia. That is such a mistake. AA was entertaining enough in herself, without you having to call her Anastasia. She certainly was surrounded by characters, some who actually believed in her, others were about as crazy as her, and others who just wanted to join the circus surrounding her. It might be interesting reading about that circus. ;)

I think that this is precisely what this book is about, at least it sounds this way. I am currently reading a book called "Pretender", which is a novel about AA, which seems closely based on  AA's real life (so far I am only on page 15). It's pretty good so far, even has Jack Manahan character in it  ;).

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 02:26:49 PM »
Well, that's not so bad. I'm sure that that book will have Jack Manahan in it. Face it, he was really out there. He could make any book entertaining. ;)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 03:44:45 PM »
I'm sure that that book will have Jack Manahan in it. Face it, he was really out there. He could make any book entertaining. ;)

They were both very colorful characters (among others in the story) and this is why they deserve a book, or even a couple of books. Funny part is that even if you stick really close to the real events, it still reads like fiction. Sort of like Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, which reads like complete fiction but was closely based on real events! Some things you don't have to make up...

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 04:47:14 PM »
Save the trees...please, please SAVE THE TREES!!!!

Arturo BeÚche
--
Arturo BeÚche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
    • Queen Victoria's Granddaughters
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 05:09:42 PM »
Agreed.... so OVER this...
So long and thanks for all the fish

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 09:04:44 PM »
Save the trees...please, please SAVE THE TREES!!!!

Arturo BeÚche

Art,

Does this mean that you shall stand tall and not offer this book in the interst of saving the
TREES?

Margarita
  ;)

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 11:45:40 PM »
Yes...I refuse to sell these rehashed Anastasia crap books...sorry...cannot stand the subject any more.

Arturo BeÚche
--
Arturo BeÚche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com