Author Topic: Ella and Sergei 2  (Read 76250 times)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Ella and Sergei 2
« Reply #150 on: February 24, 2015, 04:39:57 AM »
The information about Sergei "touching" Dimitri came from a book by Greg King. It seems it was widely believed in Russian Circles. There was wide sympathy for Ella being married to "that person" that even Ella had to write to QV to refute the rumors that she was unhappy with her husband. Even though VMH liked Sergei but I don't think even she understood him. His wanting children stem from possessiveness rather than unconditional love. Grand Duchess George (Greek Minny) said openly in her autobiography that Maria Paulovna the younger was selfish, thus siding with Ella. So I don't trust too much on her bio that she blamed everybody but herself. It is also true that both Dimitri and Felix both loved Ella, so it boils down to who you believe.

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
  • 1 Corinthians 13, Mark 11: 23-24, Romans 8: 38-39
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 08, 2015, 03:37:39 PM »
Serge is too strange a character with a mixture of a tortured mind and suffering inside. Cannot think of him as a father type...
We may assume that he can't be a father type given the fact that as a young man, he saw his parents going through difficult times. Statistics show (well, as far as I know) that people who grew up in such family environment have hard time being parents. Not only Serge, Ella grew up with her parents who also quite had a rocky marriage so the negative views of Marie Pavlovna on her being a mother may be supported with that theory, too.

The information about Sergei "touching" Dimitri came from a book by Greg King. It seems it was widely believed in Russian Circles. There was wide sympathy for Ella being married to "that person"
I still highly doubt if that was true. If I remember it right, the Russian circles at that time were all avid attackers of Sergei's mysterious personality so they loved assuming that rumor as true although there's no concrete proof .. and they surely hadn't cared to look for proofs because they only like to believe what they want to believe. And because that's been widely believed, the rumor became the "truth".
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 03:49:54 PM by Shandroise de Laeken »

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #152 on: July 19, 2015, 08:48:47 AM »

Offline Romafan96

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 06, 2015, 11:35:52 AM »
Why did Ella and Sergei not have children?

Offline Превед

• Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
    • Type Russian Without a Keyboard
« Reply #154 on: September 06, 2015, 02:51:23 PM »

I'm sure you can find many educated guesses in this 34-page thread devoted to the subject!
Березы севера мне милы,
Их грустный, опущённый вид,
Как речь безмолвная могилы,
Горячку сердца холодит.

(Афанасий Фет: Ивы и березы, 1843 / 1856)

Offline Romafan96

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 06, 2015, 02:54:01 PM »

I'm sure you can find many educated guesses in this 34-page thread devoted to the subject!

Thank you! I tried to use the search engine since I figured it would have been covered but nothing came up. Bless you for providing me with this link :D

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 07, 2015, 04:26:45 AM »
My personal view, insofar as it is relevant, is that one or the other was infertile. Infertility was not so very uncommon then, and quite a number of royal and aristocratic marriages were childless. One near-contemporary example is Friedrich Wilhelm IV of Prussia (1840-61) and Elizabeth of Bavaria, who had an apparently happy marriage, but no children.

Ann

Online Grandoffsky

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2018, 01:33:01 PM »
Would anyone know where one could find GD Elizabeth's letters to GD Serge? As I understand they were written in English? I would love to read them in original, but if not, then Russian is OK, too. I have recently ordered part 4 of GD Serge's biography, but I'm not sure if all the letters are in there.

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #158 on: January 13, 2018, 03:37:54 AM »
Would anyone know where one could find GD Elizabeth's letters to GD Serge? As I understand they were written in English? I would love to read them in original, but if not, then Russian is OK, too. I have recently ordered part 4 of GD Serge's biography, but I'm not sure if all the letters are in there.

The letters were published in Russian in 2011, the book is out of stock now.

https://www.ozon.ru/context/detail/id/7536647/

Online Grandoffsky

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 13, 2018, 04:04:28 AM »

Thank You very much for the information. I'll keep looking for this book, perhaps it'll pop up somewhere.
Maybe you know if any of GD Elizabeth's letters to her husband were published in the 4 volume Russian biography of GD Sergei? I'm currently waiting for volume 4 to arrive.

ETA: As I understand, at least some (don't know if all) of those letters can be found in this book as well:
https://www.ozon.ru/context/detail/id/32861782/
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 04:26:58 AM by Grandoffsky »

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #160 on: January 13, 2018, 11:10:03 AM »

Thank You very much for the information. I'll keep looking for this book, perhaps it'll pop up somewhere.
Maybe you know if any of GD Elizabeth's letters to her husband were published in the 4 volume Russian biography of GD Sergei? I'm currently waiting for volume 4 to arrive.

ETA: As I understand, at least some (don't know if all) of those letters can be found in this book as well:
https://www.ozon.ru/context/detail/id/32861782/

Yes, some letters are in the last book, but not all. In the 4 Volume there are no GDss Elizaveta's letters.

Online Grandoffsky

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 13, 2018, 12:10:07 PM »

Yes, some letters are in the last book, but not all. In the 4 Volume there are no GDss Elizaveta's letters.

Thank You so much for this information. As I have to order these books from abroad, it is always a bit of a gamble not knowing what you'll get without being able to look through the book before buying. So I guess I'll keep looking for the book you mentioned.
I found GD Sergei's correspondence in Volume 3 most interesting, especially with GD Paul and GD Konstantin, therefore I'm really looking forward to seeing the tone of GDss Elizabeth's letters.