Author Topic: Gen. Leonide Novicoff & family  (Read 6185 times)

Offline Terence

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Gen. Leonide Novicoff & family
« on: February 04, 2007, 11:51:35 PM »
We have an album that belonged to my wife's great-grandfather who came to the US from Scotland.  His oldest sister, Rosa Yellowlees (b. 1873) md. ca. 1900 a Russian, General Leonide Novicoff.  I assume the Russian spelling is Novicov?  They had a son Vladmir, 1903-1909, and Leonide previously had a son Boris.  They disappeared during the Russian Revolution and the family never heard from or of them again.

Any help with info would be greatly appreciated, including suggestions for possible online sources, I've had no luck so far.  Any ideas where I might find a site to verify Novicoff's military service?  Or any suggestions where I might find a clue as to what happened to them?  TIA

Rosas husband General Nivicoff (sp?)

Sister Rosa. son.. husband.
(front printed E. v. Eggert   Riga)
(back stamped Majorenhof)

T

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
Re: Gen. Leonide Novicoff & family
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 01:44:26 PM »
Could you please post photos of a larger size?

Offline Terence

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 03:09:57 PM »
Here's larger versions.  I just noticed there's a Scottish tartan w/ the baby in the group photo.  That picture must be ca. 1904-05 I'm guessing as baby Vladmir was b. 1903.  Also the pic of Leonide alone is flipped, the medal was on the opposite side in the original.  (I'm obviously new to this posting photo business, please bear w/ me.)  It's still hard to tell here, but on his collar are 3 stars, with an axe? and something (like a broom) crossed between the top 2 stars.

In the album of family photos there are cds of 3 Russians, 2 of them military.  All I can figure is they were sent by Rosa.  I'll get them scanned and posted, maybe they contain a hint to place these folks in some context.

T

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 07:55:13 AM »
The photos still aren't large enough to say for sure, but the gentleman is certainly a civil servant, not a military officer. On a mirrored photo taken in Tiflis, his service rank (8th) is equivalent to army captain. On the photo with his family, taken in Riga, he seems to bear the 4th rank, equivalent to major-general. In both cases the most probable branch of service is Ministry of Transport (railways).

Offline Terence

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 07:22:30 PM »
Thanks so much Mike.  I wondered why his uniform was so plain if he was supposed to be a general.  So apparently he was a "general" in the civil service.  Here's pics of the collar and medal, but I'm afraid they lose too much to be of much use and the medal is very blurry to start.  The 2 crossed items look like a definite axe or hatchet w/ the head on the left, and a broom or paddle.

On the later uniform the stars have been replaced w/ a round symbol that has 5 or 6 raised spots on the edge, it looks like a petal of sorts to me.  The other symbol is now betwen the lower 2 of 3 others, rather than the top 2.

I'm going to post their 3 Russian "friends" next, maybe there's a clue there about these mysterious relatives.

T

Offline Terence

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 08:14:51 PM »
And here are "associates"? of the Novicoffs.  The writing on back is terribly hard to read, but I've made some guesses.

Cacu.r D......jsieboi.
Kapua Ppanizioburr
Mmcu..r

Ca...r D.....ysiebo.
T... Kacineveko

Doporoie Nana-Cau..
printed below-
Photographe De S.M. L'Empereur
R. Fheodorovetz
Odessa

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 02:27:35 AM »
Now that the ranks signs are better visible, I'd say almost for sure that the man is a railway official. On the earlier photo, his rank is equivalent to army major, on the later one - as I've already said - to major-general. You're right Terence saying that civil officials with ranks equivalent to military generals were often, albeit unofficially, referred to as "generals".

As to the other portraits, all three of them seem to have been presented to some Ms. Sasha (Alexandra) Dmitriev. The man in a cossack-like uniform is named Carl Frantzevich Stein. The name of the officer with epaulettes (his rank is lieutenant-colonel) seems to be Korolenko. All three photos were apparently taken in the 1860s-1870s.

Offline Terence

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 07:30:26 PM »
Wow, thanks again Mike.

I should have guessed the 3 photos were earlier than Rosa's time in Russia from the type of photograph.  Makes me wonder why they ended up in the family photo album.  Well, that adds to the mystery, but now I've got some names.

T

georgecl

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 09:53:09 PM »
Hi Terrance

Heres a web site that may interest you

Civil uniforms and great stuff!

http://geg.chem.usu.ru:8080/FOTO03.HTM#terms

George

Offline Terence

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 12:00:52 AM »
Thanks George, very interesting site.  This is becoming a real education.  When I first started reading here I was impressed w/ the knowledge and helpfulness of many of the posters and you and Mike have proved that to be true.

I also checked out this site on buttons, posted here a couple of years ago- http://www.pugoviza.ru/

The buttons in the photos I have are not clear enough to see, but the insignia on his shoulder boards looks very much like these-
http://www.pugoviza.ru/files/class_butt_cat.shtml?d=1&n=Ведомство%20Гражданских%20Инженеров&fn=igi
What I described as a broom or paddle turns out to be a shovel!

T

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 03:56:20 PM »
If you clearly see a shovel on his collar tabs, then he is a civil engineer. Their emblems were quite similar to those of railway officials: both contained an ax crossed by either shovel or anchor.