Author Topic: Origins of Windsor Royal names  (Read 7973 times)

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Origins of Windsor Royal names
« on: February 05, 2007, 04:05:24 PM »
I started this thread so anyone can post about the origins of some royal names, in regards to the Windsors, if they know. Anything would be appreciated. In some cases, the reason why a name was selected was fairly obvious, in other cases, it is rather harder.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Origins of Windsor Royal names
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 07:58:14 PM »
It's a shame that original thread is no longer here as it had a good deal of information--some by posters who aren't here anymore.

In regards to QV's children:

Victoria Adelaide Mary Louisa--Victoria, obvious; Adelaide, for Queen Adelaide (consort of William IV and very close to QV); Mary (for the Duchess of Gloucester, perhaps?); Louisa--Prince Albert's mother

Albert Edward--Albert, obvious; Edward, after QV's father

Alice Maud Mary--Alice and Maud--old English names; Mary--see above

Alfred Ernest Albert--Alfred, old English names; Ernest, after PA's father and brother; Albert

Helena Augusta Victoria--Helena, ?; Augusta after one of QV's aunts perhaps;

Louise Caroline Alberta--Louise, after PA's mother; Alberta, after PA

Arthur William Patrick Albert--Arthur, old English name; William after WIV perhaps; Patrick, most likely for Ireland

Leopold George Duncan Albert--Leopold, after King Leopold of the Belgians; George, long connection to England and Hannover; Duncan for Scotland

Beatrice Mary Victoria Feodore--Beatrice, some suggested historic origin or Dante reference; Feodore for QV's sister
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 08:06:37 PM »
Edward VII's Children

Albert Victor Christian Edward--Albert after the Prince Consort; Victor after QV; Christian after his maternal grandfather; Edward after the Duke of Kent

George Frederick Ernest Albert--George, old English and Hanover connections; Frederick had connections to British and Danish royal families; Ernest after PA's father and brother; Albert after the Prince Consort

Louise Victoria Alexandra Dagmar--Louise after the Queen of Denmark; Victoria after QV; Alexandra after her mother; Dagmar after her maternal aunt

Victoria Alexandra Olga Mary--Olga, probably after Queen Olga of Greece

Maud Charlotte Mary Victoria--old English connection; Charlotte, perhaps after the late Princess Charlotte

Alexander John Charles Albert--Alexander, perhaps after his mother; John, old name; Charles--perhaps a Danish connection since CP Frederick's 2nd son was Charles

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 08:11:25 PM »
GV's children:

Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David--Edward after 'dear Eddy'; Christian after CIX; George after his father as well as the Patron St of England; Andrew, Patrick, David--patron saints of the remaining countries of the UK

Albert Frederick Arthur George--Frederick after FVIII (his great-uncle); Arthur after Duke of Connaught, his godfather, I believe

Victoria Alexandra Alice Mary--Alice after the Duchess of Hesse, perhaps; Mary after her mother and grandmother

Henry William Frederick Albert--Henry, ?

George Edward Alexander Edmund--Alexander after his grandmother and perhaps the Duke of Teck's father; Edmund, old English name?

John Charles Francis--Charles, perhaps after his uncle Charles (King Haakon); Francis after the Duke of Teck

Offline AnnieB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 05:22:05 AM »
I read somewhere that QV named Alice as a compliment to Lord Melbourne,
 who once told her it was his favourite female name.
Annie B

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 05:49:26 AM »
I read that too AnnieB!

I didn't know hw Duke of Kents middle name was Edmund :) Same as me!
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 04:46:38 PM »
It's a shame that original thread is no longer here as it had a good deal of information--some by posters who aren't here anymore.

In regards to QV's children:

Victoria Adelaide Mary Louisa--Victoria, obvious; Adelaide, for Queen Adelaide (consort of William IV and very close to QV); Mary (for the Duchess of Gloucester, perhaps?); Louisa--Prince Albert's mother

Albert Edward--Albert, obvious; Edward, after QV's father

Alice Maud Mary--Alice and Maud--old English names; Mary--see above

Alfred Ernest Albert--Alfred, old English names; Ernest, after PA's father and brother; Albert

Helena Augusta Victoria--Helena, ?; Augusta after one of QV's aunts perhaps;

Louise Caroline Alberta--Louise, after PA's mother; Alberta, after PA

Arthur William Patrick Albert--Arthur, old English name; William after WIV perhaps; Patrick, most likely for Ireland

Leopold George Duncan Albert--Leopold, after King Leopold of the Belgians; George, long connection to England and Hannover; Duncan for Scotland

Beatrice Mary Victoria Feodore--Beatrice, some suggested historic origin or Dante reference; Feodore for QV's sister

Helena was after the Duchesse d'Orleans, her godmother. And Arthur was after the Duke of Wellington, his godfather.
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 10:25:59 PM »
Ah, I can't believe I forgot the Duke of Wellington connection.  :P There's even the charming Winterhalter of the old Duke with QV, PA and Arthur.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 02:56:28 PM »
Beatrice was named as her Majesty explained to King Leopold: "She is to be called Beatrice, a fine old name, borne by three of the Plantaganet princesses, and her other names will be Mary (after poor Aunt Mary), Victoria (after mamma and Vicky, who with Fritz Wilhelm are to be the sponsors), and Feodore (the Queen's sister)."

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 03:33:07 AM »
Beatrice was named as her Majesty explained to King Leopold: "She is to be called Beatrice, a fine old name, borne by three of the Plantaganet princesses, and her other names will be Mary (after poor Aunt Mary), Victoria (after mamma and Vicky, who with Fritz Wilhelm are to be the sponsors), and Feodore (the Queen's sister)."

Which Aunt Mary?
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Taren

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • The Chick Manifesto
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 08:17:04 PM »

Which Aunt Mary?

I believe it's Princess Mary, Duchess of Gloucester, aunt of QV and daughter of George III.

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
  • Queen Mary: Visions of Grandeur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 08:44:48 PM »
I read somewhere that QV named Alice as a compliment to Lord Melbourne,
 who once told her it was his favourite female name.

It was in Victoria's Daughters. "It seemed that he and Victoria had once carried on a discussion in which they ranked the intrinsic beauty of female names, and it was "Alice" that he liked the best. The young sovereign, who still venerated the elder statesman, had tucked away the fact, and by giving the name to her second daughter, honored th man who had taught her to be a queen." :)

Mary R.
"I shall be very disappointed," she remarked for the record, "if George doesn't come up again." Queen Mary upon hearing her husband was to ride in a submarine.

When asked the question of when her eldest son would return to the country Queen Mary said, "Not until he comes to my funeral."

Offline AnnieB

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 05:30:40 AM »
Thanks Mary R

I enjoyed reading that book

Annie B
Annie B

Offline AnnieB

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 05:34:40 AM »
There aren't many royal Alfreds. I can only think of Alfred the Great and of George III's youngest son.
Does anyone know if Affie was named after either of these?

Annie B
Annie B

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 02:27:55 PM »
On wikipedia, it refers to the fact that George V, in 1917, changed the name of the royal house and the titles to remove the German influence. What titles did the English royal family have that were German in nature?
HerrKaiser