The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
July 24, 2014, 05:24:30 AM
460793 Posts in 8935 Topics by 14536 Members
Latest Member: kmk818
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about Russian History
| |-+  Research Russian Roots (Moderators: LisaDavidson, BobAtchison, Forum Admin)
| | |-+  Looking for Help Please..
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author
Topic: Looking for Help Please..  (Read 2658 times)
« on: February 06, 2007, 08:25:02 PM »
skirt Offline

View Profile

I dont post here much anymore- but I'm always reading and learning more everyday, for that I'd like to thank you all for your education, dedication and attention to detail.  It is thrilling and exhausting- but I'm so grateful to everyone who is so diligent.
By frequenting this site, I have come to realise the wealth of information that we all have access to, through one another.
With this is mind, I have a request. 
(I write this candidly, fighting back tears, and I simply cannot go any further on my search alone.)
My grandmother and I were very close, sadly she passed away a few years ago, with so many questions unanswered.  She celebrated Christmas in January, made the most amazing pirogies and cabbage rolls -and rarely spoke of her past.  She was one of five children born and raised here in Canada.  The parents split up and the last name was changed (of the children).  We all grew up thinking that our last name was completely different.  After searching and searching I was able to obtain a copy of her birth certificate!! I WAS OVER-JOYED!! It even gave the names and birthplaces of her parents (my great-grandparents)- I felt I could finally find my ancestors and finally learn of my ethnic heritage, from a family that never, ever spoke of it. 
This was three years ago.
I have come to such a stand-still.  I cannot find the these places in Austria, they are not on any maps!! The last name and places of birth were likely "sounded out" and misspelled!!  I do not speak the language (presumably Ukrainian??) I cannot find any further links... I am desperate to feel what you have all described over and over... the feeling of walking the streets of my ancestors.. of knowing the history of my family.. okay I'm sobbing. I'm sorry.
I am putting out the only information that I have-  the came to Canada separately, married young, had children obviously by 1918.
Maybe immigrated around 1909-1915?

Name of father  Piotor Kolikoski born Tenibola, Austria

Name of mother  Jessie Stogran born Zalesczuk, Austria

Can anyone make ANYTHING of these names? locations? Is it still Austria? My family thought they were Polish/ Ukrainian..we were surprised about the location being Austria..

Many thanks and prayers

Reply #1
« on: February 07, 2007, 12:18:52 AM »
Justine Offline
Graf
Grand Duchess Tatiana Posts: 400

View Profile

At these times you wrote Poland was annexation by Austria, Prussia and Russia so that's why there's such a location. I think it maybe now Ukraine.Do you know name of the places where they were born?  Sounds of the names seems to be like they were Polish or Ukrainian.
I am afraid that I didn't help you much.

I must say that it was hard for me to stop tears while writing it,'cause my grandparents came form Ukraine(then it was Poland) and they were always afraid of speak of these times and family. You know something and I don't know even my grandmother's true name.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 12:48:36 AM by Justine » Logged

my deviant=>open for comissions
Reply #2
« on: February 07, 2007, 10:25:51 AM »
Louis_Charles Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

These appear to be Polish names to me (but I don't speak or read it, so it is more by feel than anything else). Justine is right, at the time they lived this might very well have been a part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. One suggestion? Get a detailed map of the Empire ca. 1914 --- this shouldn't be hard to do, any reference librarian should be able to dig one up without too much trouble -- and then take a look. Alternatively, check the Baedeker Guides that were published in the first decade of the 20th century --- use the ones for Germany AND Austria (and maybe Russia?)

I would also write to the Polish Embassy in Washington, or check to see if there is a consulate near your home. They would probably be happy to help you track this down --- and I would also try the Austrian Embassy as well.

I'm a trained librarian, although I don't work as one, and I have to say that most reference librarians I know would salivate for the chance to take a crack at finding the towns --- not your relatives, as they tend to shy from genealogy, but the towns? That should be an interesting assignment. So try a library, especially a college's or university's.

"Simon --- Classy AND Compassionate!"

"The road to enlightenment is long and difficult, so take snacks and a magazine."
Reply #3
« on: February 07, 2007, 12:39:35 PM »
Mike Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

Zalesczuk is an unrare Ukrainian surname. A Google search for Залещук yields dozens of persons bearing this name, mainly in the Ukraine but also in Russia and elsewhere.
Reply #4
« on: February 07, 2007, 01:34:46 PM »
Louis_Charles Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Zalesczuk is an unrare Ukrainian surname. A Google search for Залещук yields dozens of persons bearing this name, mainly in the Ukraine but also in Russia and elsewhere.

That should help in narrowing down the search parameters. Try the Ukrainian Embassy/consulates as well as the Russian.

"Simon --- Classy AND Compassionate!"

"The road to enlightenment is long and difficult, so take snacks and a magazine."
Reply #5
« on: February 10, 2007, 11:39:53 AM »
bergiverson Offline

View Profile

I came across your query in Google.I believe Henry F. is helping you.He asked me for information
on these villages.Shtetl shows your village Tenibola is actually Trembowla,(now Terebovlja) in the old Austro-Hungarian province of Galicia,now in the SW part of the Ukraine. South on the road from Terebovlja is the village of Zaliscyky.The name of the village in 1880 was Zaleshchik and now its name is Zaliscyky.I believe this is your Zalesczuk.Austria-Hungary was a large empire and even though people would put their birth place as Austria,in reality they could be born in Poland,( Galicia ).But in Ellis Island records they leave little clues.
Ukranians would be Ruthenian Austrians,Hungarians would be Magyar etc.
When you look for information for Austria-Hungary,Ukraine,Poland etc. you should also post queries on RootsWeb.They have different Boards for different countries and are very helpful.It is a free service of
Ancestry.com.
If you could give me more info I could look in Ellis Island manifests for you.I find Jessie a rare name to be born in Galicia.It could be an Anglicized name of her birth name.
Ron
Reply #6
« on: February 10, 2007, 01:04:09 PM »
bergiverson Offline

View Profile

Heres an 1880 map of Galicia.Look lower right to 49ş.You will see Czorikow.This is Zalesczuk.
Follow the road North and you will see Trembowla just South of Tarnopul.
Have a great day.Ron

http://feefhs.org/maps/ah/ah-galic.html
Reply #7
« on: February 10, 2007, 02:15:56 PM »
bergiverson Offline

View Profile

Would you happen to know if they came to Canada or the US? If they came direct to
Canada records are hard to access for Halifax,Montreal etc.
If they came via the US they would show in Ellis Island records.Many immigrants came in via the US
and came across the border to Canada.Would you know grandmother Jessies fathers name?
I did come across a Petro Kolcaska ( similar name )Ruthenian came through Ellis Island 17 April 1913.
Reference was b in law Stefan Tisak? ( writing?) in Montreal,Que.
Also a Piotr Kolokowski a Pole from Lomza,Russia.24 April 1907.Lomza shows up as Lunka in Ukraine.
There were several Stogran/Strogans coming from Bustla, Bystla in Austria.Shtetl is very busy so I will try the
village search later.Ron
Reply #8
« on: February 10, 2007, 02:29:48 PM »
bergiverson Offline

View Profile

Is the name Stogran or Strogan? There were several Sztrogans came through Ellis Island from
Siwka,Austria. In reality this is Sivka,just West of Trembowla.Present day name is
Syvka-Vojnyliv.These Sztrogans were Ruthenians ( Ukranians ).Sometimes through the generations names get changed Stogran-Strogan.Names are also what officials write down and not the real European names.
Ron
Reply #9
« on: February 11, 2007, 01:21:24 PM »
bergiverson Offline

View Profile

Very strange.I looked for marriage in Manitoba and this is the only Stogran.
Strogan,Storgran come up empty.Was Polly related to Jessie?

GROOM'S LAST NAME: NYKOLACHUK
GROOM'S GIVEN NAMES: ONYFRY
BRIDE'S LAST NAME: STOGRAN
BRIDE'S GIVEN NAMES: POLLY DATE OF MARRIAGE: 04/28/1922
PLACE OF MARRIAGE: ELTON
REGISTRATION NUMBER: 1922,013425
REGISTRATION DATE: 
Reply #10
« on: February 11, 2007, 01:50:40 PM »
bergiverson Offline

View Profile

BTW,I made an error on the map I sent.I meant to say look below Czorikow by the border of Bukovina.
Zaleszeziky is Zalesczuk.
Reply #11
« on: February 11, 2007, 02:19:10 PM »
bergiverson Offline

View Profile

Here is what you are looking for.You can order the microfilm at any LDS Center for a small fee.
The records are in Latin and Polish though!! You can get a printed version of the reference or just copy this one,take it to the Center and they will know what film to order in.You can only view the film at a Center.

Title Księgi metrykalne, 1784-1944
Authors Kościół rzymsko-katolicki. Parafja Trembowla (Trembowla) (Main Author)

Notes Mikrofilm zrobiony z rękopisów w Archiwum Państwowe m.st. Warszawy; w Archiwum i Biblioteka Kurii Arcybiskupiej w Lubaczowie; i Archiwum Państwowe Ternopil, Ukraina (Zezpół 487).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zespół 487, seria 1, akta sprawy 277.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tekst po latińsku i polsku.
Roman Catholic parish registers and transcripts (births, marriages and deaths) for Trembowla, Galizien, Austria; later Trembowla (Trembowla), Tarnopol, Poland; later Terebovla, Ternopil, Ukraine. Includes Hleszczawa, Iławcze, Krówinka, Boryczówka, and Iwanówka. Text in Latin and Polish.

Subjects  Austria, Galizien, Trembowla - Church records
Poland, Tarnopol, Trembowla (Trembowla) - Church records
Ukraine, Ternopil′, Terebovli︠a︡, Terebovli︠a︡ - Church records 

Format  Manuscript (On Film) 
Language  Latin,Polish 
Publication  Salt Lake City, Utah : Mikrofilmowało The Genealogical Society of Utah, 1971-2001 
Physical  na 9 rolkach mikrofilmu ; 35 mm. 

Reply #12
« on: February 11, 2007, 02:48:21 PM »
bergiverson Offline

View Profile

This is a map with the Polish names.Zaleszczki lower right at 48ş38'  N  by the Dniester River.
Trembowla is also show if you scroll North (up)

http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/digkonyv/topo/200e/43-49.jpg
Reply #13
« on: February 11, 2007, 05:46:12 PM »
bergiverson Offline

View Profile

Here are the records for Zalesczki.They are Evangelical ( Protestant) in German.Easier to read than Polish.
Just happened to come across them by chance.Confirmations go to 1906 so you might be able to find Stograns there or even in Tote ( Deaths )
I would look in Film # 2380009
Ron

Title  Kirchenbuch, 1767-1899 
Authors  Evangelische Kirche Zaleszczyki (Galizien) (Main Author) 

Note  Location Film 
Taufen, Heiraten, Tote 1767-1859
 FHL INTL Film 905266 
Taufen 1771-1859 -- Konfirmationen 1767-1855 -- Kommunikanten 1766-1861 -- Heiraten 1768-1859 -- Tote 1767-1859 
VAULT INTL Film 2379996 Item 4

Taufen 1939-1899 -- Heiraten 1839-1899 -- Konfirmationen 1839-1906 -- Tote 1880-1899, 1851-1879 (Konopkówka) 
FHL INTL Film 2380009 Item 2

Taufen 1840-1899 -- Heiraten 1840-1892 -- Konfirmationen 1840-1905 -- Heiraten 1893-1899 -- Tote 1840-1899 (Połowce) 
FHL INTL Film 2380009 Item 3

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: