Author Topic: Crownprince Wilhelm & Crownprincess Cecilie, their family, Part I  (Read 249155 times)

Offline felix

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Crownprince Wilhelm & Crownprincess Cecilie, their family, Part I
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2005, 01:47:44 PM »
Its the noses that tell the story! Look at all their perfect snubs, One would think Olga N. came from this family.

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2005, 10:21:40 PM »
Most definitely the Crown Princess Cecilie of Prussia. A mere 100 years ago, the toast of European royalty.
HerrKaiser

Offline Kostya

• The Greatest Poet!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2005, 10:32:10 AM »
can some one help me in this i heard that Cecelie had a had a retarded son(can't find another word right now)  if true how did she cope?  how was her life within the palace and how did the memebers of the royal family look up on it.  

great pictures!!!!! inlove with this woman
But to lose heart, my friend, is sinful: Glance, as God peace it is excellent.

K.R.

Offline darius

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2005, 11:02:31 AM »
I think it was her daughter Alexandra who suffered from some syndrome or another - I believe it is addressed in another thread.
I was wondering if Alexandra was the only QVD to suffer from a similar condition??

Offline darius

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2005, 11:04:46 AM »
Her name was Alexandrine Irene  

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2005, 12:52:56 PM »
can some one help me in this i heard that Cecelie had a had a retarded son(can't find another word right now)  if true how did she cope?  how was her life within the palace and how did the memebers of the royal family look up on it.  

great pictures!!!!! inlove with this woman

The son was actually a daughter, Alexandrine, who suffered from Down Syndrome.   During her childhood, Alexandrine lived with her parents - lots of photos and postcards.  However, she was institutionalized as an adult.    The present head of the House of Prussia's only sister, Cecilie-Cornelie, is also severely retarded, and lives in an institution.  
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline jfkhaos

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2005, 12:55:24 PM »
Marlene, since you mention that Alexandrine was institutionalized, would you happen to know where?  Also, I know that Cecilie stayed in the Berlin area when her husband was in The Netherlands after the abdication...did she continue to reside at Schloss Cecilienhof?

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2005, 02:11:10 PM »
Marlene, since you mention that Alexandrine was institutionalized, would you happen to know where?  Also, I know that Cecilie stayed in the Berlin area when her husband was in The Netherlands after the abdication...did she continue to reside at Schloss Cecilienhof?

I don't believe the information was never made public regarding where Alexandrine was sent to live. That was a private family matter. yes Cecilienhof was one of the places she lived after the war.
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Jane

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2005, 02:26:19 PM »
I've always been rather favorably impressed by the way CP Wilhelm and CP Cecilie dealt with their daughter Alexandrine.  There are so many photos of Alexandrine with her family up until the time she was institutionalized as an adult; it doesn't seem like her parents made any effort to hide her away.  I have always been under the impression the the family were matter-of-fact about the whole thing, and were refreshingly ahead of their time in their attitude.  Can anyone shed more light on this?

Offline jfkhaos

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2005, 02:33:31 PM »
..if only the Romanovs would have been more upfront with the Russian people rather than hiding Alexei's hemophilia.  It's possible that the sympathy of the Russians might have rested with the Imperial couple; the outcome could have been much different.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2005, 05:56:21 PM »
It certainly was admirable. I don't know what would've been the result with Alexei. Alexandrine was behind 4 healthy sons (could daughters even assume the throne?) so there wasn't a chance of her being monarch. Also the Russian populace had a superstitious bent--the truth about Ena's son and heir was known (at least to some extent) and there were rumors that went around Spain that a soldier had to be sacrificed every day for his blood. Russia might've been similar. It certainly didn't gain Ena any sympathy and she had at least one son physically sound enough to rule (Juan).

Does anyone know why Alexandrine was institutionalized as an adult? I believe it was after Cecile's death. Did her condition worsen or did her siblings just not feel able to properly care for her? She seems to have been well-loved so I can't imagine it was undertaken to just get rid of her.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by grandduchessella »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2005, 06:45:17 PM »
The way in which the German Royal Family dealth with Alexandrine is part of the irony of the overall impression of the 'German way'.  At the same time King George and Queen Mary were hiding their epileptic son (cruelly and sadly), the Hohenzollerns were quite upfront and public with their downs syndrome Princess.

Similarly, Germans were more open and casual about nudity, sex, marital issues, social causes, care for the elderly, animal "rights", etc. However, these dispositions got funneled away from the long term good, and history does not have the common view of Germans having led the modern era in such arenas and attitudes.

As we have pointed out in many threads, had Vicky and Fritz been long-lived on the throne, combined with what appears to have been a next generation of socially conscious family members, such early social values could have evolved more powerful than the turn toward militarism.

Thanks for listening!
HerrKaiser

Offline koloagirl

• Graf
  • Loving each other and having faith always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2005, 02:00:04 PM »
 :)

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it if it has!

The little girl with Downs Syndrome, Alexandrine of Prussia....can anyone tell me her full story?  I see from an image on the web that she lived at least to her (what looks like) early teens, but I was wondering at what age she lived to?  

I think it is remarkable that in a day and age when people with disabilities (certainly in Royal families i.e. Prince John) were shut away, that this little girl had postcards made of her and apparently was at least somewhat in the public eye.  I don't know her parentage, but would be interested to know who her forward-thinking royal parents were.  :)

Thanks!
Janet R.
Janet R.

Offline Prince_Christopher

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2005, 12:18:13 PM »
I am interested in royals who "gave it all up" to marry commoners.

Does anyone know anything about Princess Cecilie of Prussia, youngest daughter of the Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Germany? I believe she was born in 1917 and married an American soldier by the name of Mr. Harris during WWII.

They had one daughter, Kyra, and Princess Cecilie died fairly young. I know at one time she lived in Amarillo, TX.
I think Kyra Harris is married and has a son, I've seen their names on the list of succession to the British throne.

Does anyone know anything about her life with Mr. Harris, did she live in USA, when and how did she die and where is she buried? What did her family think of her common marriage to an American and why did she choose that course?

Thank you
Prince Christopher Ivanovich
Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2005, 01:01:45 PM »
I know there was a good bit of info in Marlene's QVD--it was the first I'd ever really heard of them. I don't have the book with me though.

Here's some info:
HRH Cecile Viktoria Anastasia Zita Thyra Adelheid
b. Schloss Cecilienhof, Potsdam, September 5 1917
d. Königstein im Taunus, April 21 1975

Married:
Schloss Hohenzollern, June 21 1949 Clyde Kenneth Harris (b. Maud, Oklahoma, April 18 1918, d. Amarillo, Texas, March 2 1958)

Child
Kira Alexandrine Brigid Cecilie Ingrid Harris
b. Amarillo, Texas, October 20 1954
m: Santa Fe, New Mexico, May 22 1982 John Mitchell Johnson in Dallas, Texas, May 12 1951. They divorced on April 23 1993.

Child:
Philip Louis Johnson (b. Fort Worth, Texas, October 18 1985)

So you can see that she was 32 when she married and 37 when her daughter was born so a bit 'elderly' by standards of the day. I think that she met him when he was stationed in Germany during the post-WW2 occupation. Since she died in Germany, perhaps she moved back to her native country after her husband died?
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/