Author Topic: Crownprince Wilhelm & Crownprincess Cecilie, their family, Part I  (Read 249103 times)

Offline Prince_Christopher

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Crownprince Wilhelm & Crownprincess Cecilie, their family, Part I
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2005, 01:26:40 PM »
Thanks, Grandduchessella for the information and pictures. Cecilie was certainly pretty as a youngster. I wonder why she waited so long to marry (the war, maybe?) and what her life was like in America.
Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2005, 12:43:05 PM »
Does anyone know if Cecilie spent much official time in London and what the English thought of her?
HerrKaiser

julia.montague

« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2005, 02:58:39 PM »
Has anyone read "Die Kronprinzessin" written by Viktoria Luise?

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2005, 03:26:50 PM »
Much about this book and Viktoria Luise is discussed on her thread here is the Hohenzollern forum.
HerrKaiser

Wettin

« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2005, 06:00:11 PM »
Lieber Herr Kaiser,
what do you mean by the words "here is the Hohenzollern forum." ?  Under "The Hohenzollern" I find a lot about Schleswig-Holstein, Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, Wettin etc. The book "Die Kronprinzessin" was written by a person who was a Hohenzollern by birth about a person who married into the Hohenzollern family (i e the sister-in-law of the author).  Would be grateful if you please point out to me where the aforementioned book is discussed. Thanks in advance.  

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2005, 11:25:55 PM »
Many apologies, indeed, for my error. I totally misread your posting and thought you were looking for the bio of Viktoria Luise rather than Cecilie.

I actually do not know about the book to which you refer, but I will research. It sounds absolutely like something we all would love to read. Viktoria was a huge fan and lived in awe of her sister in law, Cecilie. In fact, Viktoria's first glimpse of Cecilie was as Cecilie arrived at the Neues Palais in Potsdam wearing a pink ensemble with a pink fur hat looking glorious. Viktoria thought she was the quintessential "fairy tale princess".
HerrKaiser

julia.montague

« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2005, 10:19:10 AM »
I didn't know of it, too. But when I was in the library the last time, I looked for the biographies and I found the book of Viktoria Luise, you know the one about herself. I have it myself at home, but the one in the library had many more pictures, so I looked through it. Then I saw another book which stood next to it, you couldn't read the title, while it was standing there, because the library signwas put over it, you could just see a monogram a C with a crown, so I took it out and looked through it, too. It's written by Viktoria Luise called "Die Kronprinzessin" and is about her sister in law Crownprincess Cecilie.
http://www.gebraucht-buch-versand.de/4_3872670271.htm

Linnea

« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2005, 07:40:14 AM »
A book about Cecilie I can really recommend is "Erinnerungen" written by the Crown Princess herself.
(the cover is lovely!)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Linnea »

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 02, 2005, 10:31:14 AM »
In English, the title is "Memories". I have not read it, but yes indeed, the cover is captivating, and we can sometimes judge a book by its cover! This cover photo of the Crown Princess is a wonderful image, probably taken about 1910.
HerrKaiser

Linnea

« Reply #99 on: September 02, 2005, 11:22:40 AM »
"but yes indeed, the cover is captivating, and we can sometimes judge a book by its cover!"

You are right ;)! But the book is good anyway, it contains much about her childhood in Germany, France and Russia, how she got to know the Crown Prince, their marriage in 1905 etc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Linnea »

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 02, 2005, 02:42:14 PM »
I am finding it impossible to locate this book! Amazon seems to be without any ability to obtain. Is it available in Germany? thanks!
HerrKaiser

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 02, 2005, 04:45:42 PM »
Danke. Now I need to get one in english. All the best,
HerrKaiser

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 02, 2005, 05:26:14 PM »
The English translation of CP Cecilie's memoirs are available from Royalty Digest bookshop.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2005, 08:09:07 PM »
What was Cecilie's relationship with her brother's-in-law, in particular Eitel who lived through the latter 1920s and 1930s alone and seemingly lonely. Were they close? How did they relate during WWII?
HerrKaiser